The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Jul 19, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #526 of 615

Gonna get me one of those. Would love to read ur impressions on them! Any idea when ur getting them?

If there isn't any delay, probably around a week or two.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #527 of 615
hello :)

Do you think the Fiio E12A is a good choice for my Shure SE215 LE and my Sony MDR-1A?? I need a good bass boost to enjoy music from iPhone 6 (spotify and personal music).. or is better to save money for this and buy the cheaper Fiio E11K????
How are the bass boost in comparison?

Thank you :)

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #529 of 615
  hello :)

Do you think the Fiio E12A is a good choice for my Shure SE215 LE and my Sony MDR-1A?? I need a good bass boost to enjoy music from iPhone 6 (spotify and personal music).. or is better to save money for this and buy the cheaper Fiio E11K????
How are the bass boost in comparison?

Thank you :)

If it is just bass boost you want, I'll suggest just trying out software EQ first, as iPhone 6 should be capable enough to drive SE215LE and MDR-1A. If you are not happy about that, then I'll suggest an amp. Unfortunately bass boost is pretty much like wine, and everyone seems to have his/her favorite. A person's great can be someone's not-enough and there is no way to say until you try it for yourself. I am probably not the best person to answer your question given I don't actually use bass boost much, but I'll say E12A is a class above E11K.

That's a great deal.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #532 of 615
If it is just bass boost you want, I'll suggest just trying out software EQ first, as iPhone 6 should be capable enough to drive SE215LE and MDR-1A. If you are not happy about that, then I'll suggest an amp. Unfortunately bass boost is pretty much like wine, and everyone seems to have his/her favorite. A person's great can be someone's not-enough and there is no way to say until you try it for yourself. I am probably not the best person to answer your question given I don't actually use bass boost much, but I'll say E12A is a class above E11K.

That's a great deal.

I tried Eq via software, but I'm not satisfied and I need something that i can activate when I want the more easy possible!!

Do you know something smaller than E12 but without hiss hearing with my IEM?!

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #534 of 615
I tried Eq via software, but I'm not satisfied and I need something that i can activate when I want the more easy possible!!

Do you know something smaller than E12 but without hiss hearing with my IEM?!

SE215 LE is not known to be sensitive to hiss, and I think your original option of E11K should work out just fine for sub-$100 choice. An alternative of E12A for sub-$200 choice will be JDS Labs C5, which has a two level bass boost that might better fit what you want.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #535 of 615
I been reading this thread and the sub $100 portable amp shootout as well. There seems to be only a few that meet my requirement (Mainly the fiio ones) I have been listening to music on my hifi system mainly. But due to a shift to a apartment, listening loudly is not that easy. I have a UE Triplefi 10 which I still love. I intend to get my first headphone, which is likely the hifiman 400i or a 2nd hand he560. My main device would be a 160GB Ipod or my iphone 6.  I would like need a amp. as such, base on my requirement below, in order of importance, what would you recommend? I would say item 1 is important and I may skip the rest till later.

1. Amp to drive the he400i or he560 from my iphone/ipod and astro 50 mixamp for late night or loud movie watching via dolby headphone.

2. direct connect to my Ipod or Iphone 6 via lightning port? for best quality

3. Async USB for playing higher quality from my PC

Still rather new to portable music so please forgive the terms I am using!

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #536 of 615
  I been reading this thread and the sub $100 portable amp shootout as well. There seems to be only a few that meet my requirement (Mainly the fiio ones) I have been listening to music on my hifi system mainly. But due to a shift to a apartment, listening loudly is not that easy. I have a UE Triplefi 10 which I still love. I intend to get my first headphone, which is likely the hifiman 400i or a 2nd hand he560. My main device would be a 160GB Ipod or my iphone 6.  I would like need a amp. as such, base on my requirement below, in order of importance, what would you recommend? I would say item 1 is important and I may skip the rest till later.

1. Amp to drive the he400i or he560 from my iphone/ipod and astro 50 mixamp for late night or loud movie watching via dolby headphone.

2. direct connect to my Ipod or Iphone 6 via lightning port? for best quality

3. Async USB for playing higher quality from my PC

Still rather new to portable music so please forgive the terms I am using!

Oppo HA-2.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #537 of 615
OK, I know I am showing my "newbie-ness" here but is it fair (and reasonable) to compare these $200 price range units, when some are only (dedicated) amps, while others on the list are DAC / AMP combos?

In looking over the list, is there a quick way to see (without reading the entire review, or going to an outside site to get specs)??

I know there is a separate "recommendations for me" thread on this Forum, so I shall save that for the relevant thread.

Many thanks,

Harley

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #538 of 615
  OK, I know I am showing my "newbie-ness" here but is it fair (and reasonable) to compare these $200 price range units, when some are only (dedicated) amps, while others on the list are DAC / AMP combos?

In looking over the list, is there a quick way to see (without reading the entire review, or going to an outside site to get specs)??

I know there is a separate "recommendations for me" thread on this Forum, so I shall save that for the relevant thread.

Many thanks,

Harley

No, it is not fair. But we have to make do with what we can get, not what we wish to have.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #540 of 615

Well, thank you for the very "philosophical" reply. I suppose the logical action would be to have separate reviews done of the "combo" units, so it's an "apple to apples" comparison?

Well, if you have plenty of passion, time and money, then sure, I suppose you can make it as apple-to-apple you like it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back