The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #24,647 of 24,807
I have to agree with-3XO- tubes are there to take off a "perceived hardness " of SS and in doing so they round off the extreme ends of the music. Tubes by default cannot go down to the minute levels that SS can. But that is the "beauty of them" I don't own any tube equipment as I would rather buy a very well designed  piece of SS HI-Fi  that does NOT sound "hard" a lot dearer yes but you get the minute detail in the music that tubes cant reach.And not done by the vogue that's in the UK of "copying" tube "sound" by fitting tubes somewhere in the chain to soften it. Don't you realize that any SS amp or otherwise that sounds hard/edgy etc is NOT well designed. People pay many $10000 for this high quality . but you can design and build your own for a fraction of that.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #24,648 of 24,807
Quote:
Well, after a couple of days with Canada Customs, my KGSSHV cleared today....should have it by tomorrow (Friday latest). Looks like its gonna be a fun weekend! 

Probably the guys at Customs were gushing over it and didn't want to let it go.

As Bono says on the Live from Slane Castle DVD about their first single Out of Control, 'We Hope You Like It...".

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #24,649 of 24,807
Quote:
Howdy everyone. I just picked up a vintage pair of stax sr5 with an srd-6 transformer. Unfortunately due to budget constraints I have to use my cheap lepai speaker amplifier. I've been noticing some hiccups that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

I've been having some channel imbalance issues that seem to be tied to the amplifier if I'm not mistaken. When switching the transformer from headphones to speakers and back I get some significant imbalance that seems to be instantly corrected after cranking up the volume on the lepai amplifier. The quieter channel always seems to be random.

I'm also getting some rattling in one of the channels when playing low frequencies, I'm not sure I can do anything about this one or if it's due to a stuck hair or something. These headphones are a few decades old after all.

Lastly, I seem to be getting some crunchy distortion in the other non rattling channel which happens in the treble range. Changing channels software side still didn't fix the issue, so this is likely hardware related. I can't tell if it's the amplifier, the old speaker cable, the transformer or a deformity in the driver. It could be dust, hair, or dirt perhaps. Can anyone shed some light here? This is a great pair of cans I'm so close to enjoying.

Does anyone know what may be at play here? I just picked up a replacement Lepai amplifier and the problem seems to remain. Can dust cause snowy, slightly crackly distortion in one channel? It seems to be uneven or inconsistent, but it's always in the same channel.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #24,650 of 24,807
All this capacitor talk makes me worried. Guess I could recap it sometime in the coming years 
size]
 I think I will get more pleasure from doing so by then when I have lived with my T1 for a year or two, as the whole setup sounds pretty darn good per se.. (it ain't going nowhere 
size]
) 

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #24,651 of 24,807
You've got a lot of issues going on there.  They all sound more likely related to the headphones, not the amplifier.
Quote:
Does anyone know what may be at play here? I just picked up a replacement Lepai amplifier and the problem seems to remain. Can dust cause snowy, slightly crackly distortion in one channel? It seems to be uneven or inconsistent, but it's always in the same channel.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #24,652 of 24,807
The talking about The Sigmas has ended behause everybody who Linde them grabbed everybody Sigma ob The market. They are dar away from bring perfect - but they are Perfect for ME

Retardation Georg

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #24,654 of 24,807
I'll take a stab at it! 

Talk about Sigmas has ended because everybody who liked them grabbed every Sigma on the market. They are far from bring perfect - but they are perfect for me.

Just guessing of course!

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #24,655 of 24,807
Aug 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #24,660 of 24,807
Anyone here have an interest in vintage Stax units?? I have 2 sets of SR Sigmas (low bias with cloth covered cable - yes, early serial nos). Also 1 each of SRD-7, SRE-15 and SRE- B3. Some of these items are seldom mentioned so I have included the original catalog pages for refreence.

If interested, I can supply details and photos.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back