The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #24,616 of 24,807

The ELE DAC is pretty close, but admittedly, it's not as good as, say, the ODAC. A bit of an exaggeration on my part earlier, but honestly, the $10 DAC is 90% of the ODAC, and the ODAC to me is 100% of the PW2. I've stated repeatedly beforehand that I couldn't tell even the slightest difference between the ODAC and the PW2 using TOTL gear (HD800, TH-900, LCD-3, SR-303, etc.), and I had a virtually instant mechanism to switch between the two.

I think my $50 DAC is at least on the verge of being audibly transparent (as long as you're not using it as an amp as well), and the form factor is incredible. I see little reason to upgrade or buy anything else, and I would recommend it to anyone in PC audio because of its excellent simplicity, durability, size, price point, and performance.

Just compare your DACs with a (even older) DAC that has a decent tubed line stage. And the tubes should be first class NOS. Then you will hear a big difference, believe me ... If your ears are not "shot" already - nothing to do with hearing less of the extended treble when you get older. I'm 63 years old myself but still can hear the difference. Tested my hearing with a test CD and could still hear 14.000 Hz albeit that frequency was somewhat attenuated in my right ear. And I went to a lot of loud concerts ...

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #24,618 of 24,807
Argybargy, 
  Thanks for the word on the Srx mk3.  The cool old school looks don't hurt either.

One thing some people don't like about the srx mk3 is that they rest on top of your ears not around them.
Some find this uncomfortable for extended listening, though I've used them for 3+ hours at a time and had no problems.
They were TOTL in their day and even now decades later blow away most dynamic phones (when using a dedicated amp, not a transformer box).

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #24,619 of 24,807
Quote:
Just compare your DACs with a (even older) DAC that has a decent tubed line stage. And the tubes should be first class NOS. Then you will hear a big difference, believe me ...If your ears are not "shot" already - nothing to do with hearing less of the extended treble when you get older. I'm 63 years old myself but still can hear the difference. Tested my hearing with a test CD and could still hear 14.000 Hz albeit that frequency was somewhat attenuated in my right ear. And I went to a lot of loud concerts ...

I can hear up to 21kHz (due to my relative youth) and I can tell the difference between tones of different pitches down to 0.125Hz, not to mention having ADD (which is really a combination of "enhanced perception bandwidth/decreased processing bandwidth"); i.e. my ears are fine.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #24,620 of 24,807
Stax SR-X II/SRD-7 for 90 $ in good condition? Good or bad?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #24,621 of 24,807
Quote:
I can hear up to 21,000kHz (due to my relative youth) and I can tell the difference between tones of different pitches down to 0.125Hz, not to mention having ADD (which is really a combination of "enhanced perception bandwidth/decreased processing bandwidth"); i.e. my ears are fine.

Quite impressive...

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #24,622 of 24,807
Quote:
One thing some people don't like about the srx mk3 is that they rest on top of your ears not around them.
Some find this uncomfortable for extended listening, though I've used them for 3+ hours at a time and had no problems.
They were TOTL in their day and even now decades later blow away most dynamic phones (when using a dedicated amp, not a transformer box).

On ear not a problem.  Years ago I had Grado SR-60s (till they fell apart for the second time) and they were comfortable enough,  even with the thin foam ear pads.  No plans to use a transformer box.  Thanks

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #24,625 of 24,807
I think they need a lot of iron to grow big and strong

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #24,626 of 24,807
Quote:
Started playing around with using a dedicated Sub paired with my SR-507.  There's definitely a noticeable difference when the sub is on but it's hard getting the frequency and gain dialed in to make it sound cohesive.  It's hard to get right without annoying others just hearing low end wub-wub emanating from my room.

I know what you mean. Same here. Just get a free standing house with no neighbors ...

I still prefer my speaker rig, modified (better XOs) 3.6R Maggies to my LNS with SRM-T1S. My neighbors have my phone number in case they cannot sleep ...

With well powered speakers the sound stage remains steady even when you move your head. And the sound impact is to the whole body not just to your ears. I made some amazing recordings with a set of good in-ear microphones but forgot about not moving. I started to groove and when I listened to the recording afterward I really got kinda seasick.

I used my 300 W active sub with the LNS but it didn't feel like the "real thing" ...

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #24,627 of 24,807
Quote:
I think they need a lot of iron to grow big and strong

o2smile.gif
Yeah you right.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #24,628 of 24,807
I had fine results with an srx mk3 and srd7 powered by an 80s luxman integrated amp.  No lives are at stake, with inexpensive gear you shouldn't feel compelled to move up the chain unnecessarily. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back