The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #24,602 of 24,807
Do you know how it compares to the Srx mark 2?

I haven't heard the mk2. Basically my vintage stax journey ended after hearing the mk3 , though the sr-5 tempt me now and then purely on looks with that white shell.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #24,605 of 24,807
Why do eBay sellers always sell the old Stax like it's just junk? It's almost as if they don't care enough to even wipe down the equipment with a rag before they list it; I always see them just photographed in a big pile like someone just threw them on the floor.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #24,606 of 24,807
I'm still on the hunt for a reasonably priced basic system for my desktop / bedside rig, wish I didn't sell my SRM-212 years ago.

It's called the SRS-2170!

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #24,607 of 24,807
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that the pin layout on Stax (4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin) has to do with the bias voltage on the earspeakers? I'm guessing that electrets don't need any more than four pins (two for each side's stators) because they are self-biased?

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #24,608 of 24,807
Quote:
Lovely. http://www.ebay.de/itm/stax-talent-bd-dac-/190885225663?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Sonstige&hash=item2c71a564bf

it already sold very fast for 1000€ last month. There must be a reason why it got returned to the seller...

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #24,609 of 24,807
Why do eBay sellers always sell the old Stax like it's just junk? It's almost as if they don't care enough to even wipe down the equipment with a rag before they list it; I always see them just photographed in a big pile like someone just threw them on the floor.

That's part of the reason why I don't like buying used; some people treat their things like trash. :|

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #24,610 of 24,807
Quote:
3X0 don't forget to unplug the amp and check/drain the power supply caps as needed.

Quote:
First job, google "Alps RK27 wiring" to see which wire goes where.  Then take the center pin from each of the RCA's to the pots in, the out goes to the pcb and then run a ground wire (one or two, doesn't matter) from the RCA ground (the shell) to the pots ground and then onto the pcb.  Blue looks to be ground in the pic but it's too small to make it out. 

Thanks guys!

Would leaving the amp unplugged for a few days be sufficient to drain the voltage?

Should I use 60/40 Sn/Pb solder or something different?

I'm going to do it while I send my HE60/HEV70 to Moon-Audio to confirm that the right channel is truly driving the imbalance and there's nothing wrong with the resistor used in the retermination.

Also it's been ~6 weeks since I ordered the o-rings from Sennheiser USA and they still have no idea where they are. Ridiculous. Might just find rubber bands as I think they've both broken recently.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #24,613 of 24,807
Why feel bad it is a good amp for a decent price. I feel bad for how misguided this thread has been the past few pages.

Did you not see how many mistakes were made in this listing? The last time I checked, the SRM-1/MK2 P.P (not an "SRM-MK2") is not a tube amp, nor is it actually a T1 like the listing claims it is in the model number.

If they can't even get the model number or basic type of amp correct (it takes two seconds of research to do this, and this is a ~$400 piece of equipment), judging by the large amount of wear on the outside case, I have doubts about whether the amp even functions correctly.

Let's not forget the fact that for some bizarre reason they decided to photograph it on a huge shag carpet and probably got all kinds of debris and dust in the vents. These guys are clowns and I would not buy from them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #24,614 of 24,807
just measure the diameter of your o rings and order new ones from McMaster Carr. probably better quality. Senn USA sucks big time...I had to wait almost 4 months for a cable

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #24,615 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks guys!

Would leaving the amp unplugged for a few days be sufficient to drain the voltage?

Should I use 60/40 Sn/Pb solder or something different?

I'm going to do it while I send my HE60/HEV70 to Moon-Audio to confirm that the right channel is truly driving the imbalance and there's nothing wrong with the resistor used in the retermination.

Also it's been ~6 weeks since I ordered the o-rings from Sennheiser USA and they still have no idea where they are. Ridiculous. Might just find rubber bands as I think they've both broken recently.

Few hours are enough and normal solder is just fine. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back