The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #24,571 of 24,807
Quote:
Another satisfied SR007MKI owner here. While I, like half the Stax forum with no DIY skills, would like to get ahold of a KGSSHV, I'm quite pleased with my SR007MKI and recapped SRM1/MK2.

Is it worth getting a SRM727 or SRM717 as an interim upgrade, or should I hold out? Anyone want to estimate where the SRM1/MK2 falls in the hierarchy of Stax made amps?

Also, any opinions on the portable Stax in ears and how they stack up to the full size stuff? I was thinking of getting a set for office use. I've read Mike's opinion over at Headfonia and he thinks it has great clarity, but is hit hard by soundstage size and frequency response limitations.

I'd suggest you wait unless the SRM1/MK2 fails.

While I can't be certain, I do know that there's a group buy ongoing for some electrostatic amps now. Some folks may not want to keep two amps when they are finished with their new builds. If you wait, you may just be lucky to get a second hand KGSSHV in a couple of months. I know I'll be keeping the one I like most between the Megatron and KGSSHV when I get the Megatron working *fingers crossed*

As much as I would like to keep both of them I don't really have the space. Maybe my significant other won't notice there're more things? - is that even possible? :p

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #24,574 of 24,807
What about the sig :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #24,575 of 24,807
Show me the schematic I'll give you the curve !
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #24,576 of 24,807
Stax must have it somewhere? Or maybe not... Like your initiative

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #24,578 of 24,807
Quote:
Show me the schematic I'll give you the curve !
biggrin.gif

Same schematic, just different adjustments.  Haven't checked the thread but are you factoring in the adjustment needed for each unit before it shipped out the door?

This is the simple reason why our fully balanced take on the ED-1 was never finalized.  Only a handful of people could have built it properly... 

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #24,579 of 24,807
Quote:
Nice way to save $500 or so. I'm sure it won't sound as good as having the box but probably wouldn't be using either for very long anyway. I think I will eventually try this to see what it is like though.

Actually it could even sound better than the box since it faithfully reproduces the EQ curve without the distortions added by the opamps and capacitors. Convolution is a very powerful tool when it comes to audio filtering and modulation, you can even recreate the exact sound of a room with it.

Quote:

Same schematic, just different adjustments.  Haven't checked the thread but are you factoring in the adjustment needed for each unit before it shipped out the door?

This is the simple reason why our fully balanced take on the ED-1 was never finalized.  Only a handful of people could have built it properly... 

On my first simulation run I let all the trimpots on middle position, which gave me a very different curve than this one :
ED1.jpg

I later managed to match it very closely by tweaking the trimpots values. On the Gilmore schematics the adjustements are also set differently, with values even greater than the maximum allowed on the original model.

Any info to share on the ED-1 Signature curve ?

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #24,580 of 24,807
So a little while ago I posted that I bought a Lambda signature and SRM 212 combo off ebay. I was wondering how the thing would sound with the small amp.

I got it today. It sounds excellent. Really great sound. This is not my first time using a stax setup (I’ve had a 407 and T1-S plus a 007mk1 with GES, 323S and 007t) The old Lambda sig with the tiny 212 amp sounds very nice and reminds me of the more expensive 407 and T1-S setup.

No, it does not have the bass impact of the Omega2 (or 407) but it has deep extension and very clean, nuanced bass. It’s so well reproduced that I can bump up the bass frequencies 3 or 4 dB with some EQ and I can get a bit of that thump I like with no audible distortion (to my ears, anyway). I’m comparing it to the HE-500 I have beside me too (Audio GD NFB 10ES2 is the DAC for both and HE500 amp) and while the Lambda bass does not have the same impact, it’s very fast and, in some cases, sounds more textured and subtle.

The overall sound is a bit tilted to the upper mids and lower treble. It’s a lighter sound than the HE-500, but that one is tilted warm a bit. The Lambda sounds more airy and open. The nice thing with the Lambda sig is that even though it has that focus on upper mids and treble, it’s not excessively sibilant or shouty. My go-to test tracks for midrange glare don’t hurt my ears and songs with sibilance don’t exhibit overly harsh exaggeration of those frequencies. It doesn’t soften them or smooth them over but it doesn’t make them worse. This is something I expected (the even response with no glare) and am glad that the sound isn’t overly bright or harsh to my ears.

Soundstage is nice and wide. Reminds me of my memories of the 407 and Omega2. Open, good separation, three dimensional and relatively wide and deep but not “back of the theatre”  wide like the HD800. It sounds more airy and a bit wider than the HE-500.

Overall, I’m quite happy with the performance of the Lambda sig even on the little SRM 212 amp. I’m sure it can get better but as I’m still not sure if I’ll keep this little Stax rig or keep the HE-500, I’m not looking for a new amp yet.

But I will say that I expected to get the stax setup, listen for it a bit and then put it away or get a sale up quickly. But the more I listen to it - and the more I enjoy the sound and the light weight of the lambdas on my head compared to the massive HE500 - the more I think I might keep it. hmmm. back down the Stax rabbit hole?

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #24,581 of 24,807
^You just mentioned all the reasons why I like the Sigs. However, I am not sure if this because of the amp I am pairing them with (727), I do not find the bass lacking at all and the impact is actually very good. As you said, the upper frequency range is absolutely excellent, better than a whole lot of dynamic cans.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #24,583 of 24,807
I really regret selling my Lambda Signatures.  They didn't do everything well but what they did do well made them a pure joy to listen with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back