The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #24,676 of 24,807
Your KGSS is already sold? Damn that is fast. But yet again, the only way to obtaining a KGSS/HV is through DIY or buying one of the used Headamp/DIY units which don't pop up very often at all.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #24,679 of 24,807
Quote:

Defcon you been drinking again? FIFY.

A 6 six pack every day mate....
size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #24,680 of 24,807
I don't mean to repeat myself here, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight into my SR-5 issues. I'm now getting some buzzing in my left audio channel when the unit is idle and not playing music. The left channel ear speaker also seems to distort and crackle at certain frequencies which I haven't quite pinpointed yet. This can also be heard when listening to a recording with tape or recording hiss, which will intermittently cut out (the hiss only) and in quickly.  Is there a chance this is dust or hair, or is this unit FUBAR as far as I'm concerned? What about my SRD-6 energizer possibly being faulty?

EDIT: Is it also okay if I have my SRD-6 plugged straight into my U.S. wall outlet? The back says its rated 100-230V, but I want to make sure I'm ruling out anything that could be causing this distortion.

EDIT 2: It also seems like I can alleviate the problem by tipping my right ear toward my right shoulder, so that the earpad of my left driver is closer to parallel with the ground. The issue seems to go away when doing this. Is this a tell-tale sign of anything?

EDIT 3: This may be cable related. I seem to be able to restore the left earspeaker to full working condition whilst awkwardly angling the left earcup cable. Anything more permanent that can be done?

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #24,681 of 24,807
So there are three problems, right?

1.some buzzing in my left audio channel when the unit is idle and not playing music.

2. The left channel ear speaker also seems to distort and crackle at certain frequencies.

3. This can also be heard when listening to a recording with tape or recording hiss, which will intermittently cut out (the hiss only) and in quickly. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #24,683 of 24,807
Quote:
Is the SR-Lambda (normal bias) worth getting next to the pro bias models? About how much should I pay for one in good condition?

I have not heard them, but some people really like the sound of the normal-bias Lambdas. I seem to recall the Spritzer had a few nice things to say about them- maybe look through the various posts and see what people have said about them.  

They are pretty old by now, though, so before buying them I would either try to audition them, or get a money-back guarantee from the seller that they are working normally.  I think you can still find earpads and headbands that will fit, so even if the earpads or headband are beat up, you can fix that.  But the drivers and the dust seals, those I would want to make sure they worked OK.

I am guessing that the lower-bias Lambdas will not play quite as loud and may have somewhat less bass "punch" than their high-bias counterparts, but people have praised their transparency.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #24,684 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Ed. Should be done for a good long while!

Oh?  No plans for getting a DIY T-2, the ultimate Stax amp?  None have ever come up for sale as far as I know, but you never know, someone might need a liver transplant and have to sell his.... or you could contract to have one built....

Along those lines, I wonder what it would go for?  Parts alone for a DIY T-2 can range from $2,500 up to over $5,000 depending on how crazy you get with NOS vintage tubes, jewel-like chassis building and things like $1,000 Alps pots or $500 stepped attenuators..... then there's the work involved with building and testing the thing.... and the rarity.... I would think someone might want to ask $7,500 to $10,000 for a DIY T-2 in fabulous casework with nice tubes and top quality attenuator etc....

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #24,685 of 24,807
[size=medium]^ Actually, I was reading on another forum some lawyer dude in Toronto recently built one. I doubt he’ll be selling anytime soon, but you never know down the road. He’s right in your neck of the woods MH. I wonder how many times this guy was sitting in court wishing he was at home working on the T2 (assuming he was some type of trial lawyer).[/size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #24,687 of 24,807
Quote:
So there are three problems, right?

1.some buzzing in my left audio channel when the unit is idle and not playing music.

2. The left channel ear speaker also seems to distort and crackle at certain frequencies.

3. This can also be heard when listening to a recording with tape or recording hiss, which will intermittently cut out (the hiss only) and in quickly. 

That's correct.
Quote:
Hair got stuck?

Bad cable?

I'm unsure. What does it sound like to you? Genuinely interested to hear what it may be, I don't want to take any drastic action now because I'm not very familiar with opening one of these things up to inspect. I'm now noticing popping sounds in both channels while playing music. Not sure what's happening here.

Is it alright to use my SRD-6 with 120 U.S. voltage?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #24,689 of 24,807
Quote:
It's not that bright actually, a far cry from the piercing blue lights.  That said, when I order a new batch of these custom made switches I'll probably have them orange or something like that. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Red and the like is the best, no doubt. There is nothing more annoying than blue colors at night when it is dark. Red doesn't blind you.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #24,690 of 24,807
Quote:
I have to agree with-3XO- tubes are there to take off a "perceived hardness " of SS and in doing so they round off the extreme ends of the music. Tubes by default cannot go down to the minute levels that SS can. But that is the "beauty of them" I don't own any tube equipment as I would rather buy a very well designed  piece of SS HI-Fi  that does NOT sound "hard" a lot dearer yes but you get the minute detail in the music that tubes cant reach.And not done by the vogue that's in the UK of "copying" tube "sound" by fitting tubes somewhere in the chain to soften it. Don't you realize that any SS amp or otherwise that sounds hard/edgy etc is NOT well designed. People pay many $10000 for this high quality . but you can design and build your own for a fraction of that.

I disagree. Tube equipment can be very resolving and transparent - besides sounding more "natural". The problem is that ALL tubes that are new, i.e. from factories that are still in business, mostly sound horrible compared to good old ones from the 50s and early sixties, the ones with black plates and triple mica are among the very best. But they are disappearing fast or getting extremely expensive.

There is a guy on hktubeaudio, his moniker is acfoo, who has studied the "factory sound" of all the old factories of the world very extensively. Sometimes you can get nice hints at hidden treasures, old tubes that are great sounding/resolving but still quite unknown ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back