The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #24,706 of 24,807
Yep, it's cold, only two hours south of Winnipeg here, but I am a polar bear and like it that way.  Speaking of the Winnipeg, I need to put a bug in their ear to get another meet set-up...

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #24,707 of 24,807
Yep, it's cold, only two hours south of Winnipeg here, but I am a polar bear and like it that way.  Speaking of the Winnipeg, I need to put a bug in their ear to get another meet set-up...

If you can get one going in the late spring, we're there visiting my wife's family.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #24,708 of 24,807
Quote:

It's not that bright actually, a far cry from the piercing blue lights.  That said, when I order a new batch of these custom made switches I'll probably have them orange or something like that. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Green can be nice.  Use a resistor, dim it down.

White also has a kind of class to it; again - best if dimmed down a bit and not bright enough to read by.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #24,709 of 24,807
Quote:
My wife's from Winnipeg (Manitoba) and with Minnesota plus North Dakota, the coldest places I've ever been. 

Here in Chicago it can get quite cold, though not as often as Minnesota.  Also, we can -at times- get an awful lot of snow- there's a lake effect that can get set up and dump huge amounts of snow on certain areas hereabouts.  I am still fighting with insurance companies and contractors after the huge snowfall of Feb 2011 collapsed part of the roof of my warehouse.  That was the day that hundreds of motorists were trapped by snow on Lake Shore Drive.  http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/01/officials-shut-down-lake-shore-drive/

When it gets cold, I wear headphones.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #24,710 of 24,807
Quote:

Here in Chicago it can get quite cold, though not as often as Minnesota.  Also, we can -at times- get an awful lot of snow- there's a lake effect that can get set up and dump huge amounts of snow on certain areas hereabouts.  I am still fighting with insurance companies and contractors after the huge snowfall of Feb 2011 collapsed part of the roof of my warehouse.  That was the day that hundreds of motorists were trapped by snow on Lake Shore Drive.  http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/02/01/officials-shut-down-lake-shore-drive/

When it gets cold, I wear headphones.

We have that too. It's called Buffalo...

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #24,712 of 24,807
Quote:
Woah, be careful there.

Linearity in tube designs is not approached nearly as easily or as affordably as it is with solid state designs. Maybe if we're talking SETs but you need to be more conservative with the verbiage.

I mainly disagree about the statement that tubed stuff like DACs and amps are less resolving than SS. I had one of the most resolving SS amps ever made IMO, they were Stax, the CA-X Pro preamp and a pair of DA-100M 100W class A monoblocs. My current EAR 549 monos with Telefunken ECC83 (early 60s vintage) and GE 5751 (50s vintage) drivers sound better than my Stax set.

My preamp is a German SS Audio Exclusiv P2 - I don't prefer tubes per se. I use whatever sounds best to my ears ...

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #24,713 of 24,807
Quote:

I'm moving to Winnipeg next month. If there is a meet, feel free to drop me a line.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #24,714 of 24,807
Kinda need dac help xP
Running the srm1mk2 (modded/replaced caps) to a sr007mk2/3 (aluminum cups, replaced drivers with the mk3 drivers.
Right now my dac is the parasound 1500 and while it's a nice dac, it doesn't mix well with the 007 unfortunately.
Any ideas? Looking for a very clean and transparent dac. I liked the nad when I tried it with my setup but it's above my price range =[

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #24,715 of 24,807
Aug 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #24,716 of 24,807
Regarding the pad depth issues.. I am going to use some very thick and durable double adhessive tape. My point is, there might be a couple of millimeters of ear space to gain that way.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #24,718 of 24,807
Since Tyll from Innerfidelity hasn't measured any of the STAX units most people here are interested in (SR-Λ Pro, SR-Λ Signature, or SR-207), I thought I'd post these here.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/07/stax-sr-lambda-signature-legend-revised.html

Quote:
PRO: A well-extended flat frequency response & clean transient characteristic. The pair is extremely well-matched. Not much of a step up from SR-Lambda Professional, but the performance is great nonetheless.

CON: A good acoustic seal is vital for sound reproduction below 100 Hz. It is such a shame that the cable is not replaceable.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #2: Stax SR-Lambda Professional can be paired with its proprietary equalizer unit, ED-1, to simulate an accurate diffuse-field sound. Moreover, ED-1 can be used in conjunction with SR-Lambda Signature as well. The simulated result is a somewhat downward-tilted diffuse-field characteristic, which is more suitable for general music listening, as some listeners find the true diffuse-field target to be overly bright and harsh.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #3: A free-field analysis has been carried out at various locations within the frontal volume of the housing using an accurately calibrated microphone. The test result suggests that the entire surface of SR-Lambda Signature's diaphragm is not behaving as uniform as originally expected, but definitely more symmetrical than that of SR-Lambda Professional.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #4: By default, this headphone is far from the Olive-Welti target, meaning that the tonality is simply too harsh to be considered as hi-fidelity.  A substantial amount of equalization is needed here just like the predecessor, SR-Lambda Professional.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/06/stax-sr-lambda-professional-history.html

Quote:
PRO: A well-extended flat frequency response & clean transient characteristic. Can't get much better than this.

CON: A good acoustic seal is vital for sound reproduction below 100 Hz.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #2: The proprietary equalizer, ED-1, turns Stax SR-Lambda Professional into the most accurate diffuse-field simulator ever made, with better accuracy than Etymotic Research ER-4B by effectively neutralizing some deep-nulls and peaks.
However, an accurate diffuse-field headphone may sound too harsh & bright for some listeners, according to Olive and Welti. If that happens to be the case, coupling ED-1 to current SR-lambda based models should resolve the issue, as they have a slight attenuation in the treble. The consequential spectral balance will be close to that of a downward sloped diffuse-field target, which will be more comfortable to listen to.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #3: A free-field analysis has been carried out at various locations within the frontal volume of the housing using an accurately calibrated microphone. The test result suggests that the entire surface of SR-Lambda Professional's diaphragm is not behaving as uniform as originally expected.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #4: By default, this headphone is far from the Olive-Welti target, meaning that the tonality is simply too harsh to be considered as hi-fidelity.  A substantial amount of equalization is needed here.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/08/stax-sr-207-back-to-basic.html

Quote:
 ​
PRO:  A well-extended flat frequency response & clean transient characteristic. Without a doubt, SR-207 exhibits a good electroacoustic behavior within its entire frequency spectrum just like any other Lambda series models; Thus, it can be considered to have a great economic value.

CON: A slight channel mismatch above 1 kHz & inverted polarity. Again, a good acoustic seal is vital for sound reproduction below 100 Hz. It is such a shame that the cable is not replaceable.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #1: Above data clearly shows the difference between Professional, Signature, and SR-207: As expected, compared to the other two, SR-207 is further damped by a few decibels in the treble for less harshness with its lower/higher ends further extended. Here's a rule of thumb for STAX headphones: The more recent the model is, the wider the frequency bandwidth becomes.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #2: Just like any other Lambdas, SR-207 turns into an accurate diffuse-field synthesizer when it is equipped with STAX ED-1 equalizer. The simulated result is of a slight downward-tilted diffuse-field characteristic, which is more suitable for general music listening as some listeners find the true diffuse-field target of Professional to be overly bright and harsh.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #3: A free-field analysis has been carried out at various locations within the frontal volume of the housing using an accurately calibrated microphone. The test result suggests that the entire surface of SR-207's diaphragm is not behaving uniformly just like any other Lambda series models, if not worse. The frequency response magnitude variation occurring at the polarized resonance frequency, 180 Hz,  indicates the diaphragm's stiffness has been slightly increased from that of the classic models.

Quote:
ON SECOND THOUGHT #4: Just like the other Lambdas, this headphone is also far from the Olive-Welti target. A substantial amount of equalization is required to match Harman's target response.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #24,720 of 24,807
Wouldn't call the LS harsh either. It can be shouty and slightly raspy if the vocals are too forward and aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back