The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #24,556 of 24,807
Well, the SR-84 package was too good to be true at $75.  The channel imbalance was pretty bad and didn't seem to get any better by "warming up" as he mentioned.
He did offer it to me for $50 if I wanted to take it as a fix-up project... tempting.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #24,557 of 24,807
Listening to PF WYWH via FLAC > ODAC > STAX SRM-252S > SR-407. Mid-Fi don't get much better than this.
smile.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #24,558 of 24,807
SR-80 uses same electret transducer as SR-30 just different dampening and housing grill used. If you want to really fix it, get a beat-up pair of SR-30's for cheap and swap the drivers out.

Seem's the seller lied to you as well, electret's work in a similar way to electrostats but the difference is electret's are fully and have a fixed charge and once they lose there charge it is impossible to fix it (that I know of) or charge it back to normal, this results in channel imbalance. Channel imbalance with electrostat's are a different story and has many variables come into play, spritzer or any other experienced users can fill you in with that.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #24,559 of 24,807
Quote:
Seem's the seller lied to you as well, electret's work in a similar way to electrostats but the difference is electret's are fully and have a fixed charge and once they lose there charge it is impossible to fix it (that I know of) or charge it back to normal, this results in channel imbalance. Channel imbalance with electrostat's are a different story and has many variables come into play, spritzer or any other experienced users can fill you in with that.

The guy selling them knew less than I do about these, but neither of us knew that. (or he was very good at playing dumb).

He was getting by with adjusting the balance on his amp.   He did basically lie about them though by not mentioning the imbalance and suggesting that they get better after warming up.  

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #24,560 of 24,807
Quote:
Here's a run down with how proxy services work with Yahoo Japan auctions. You bid on an item, you win it, Craig pays for it straight away as this is the way Yahoo Japan Auctions work unlike ebay where you can delay payment. Since the PP amp was a mistake made on his behalf (delay in the system), he said that he will start off loading stuff on ebay again soon as he can still re-coup his funds he paid for the amp, since I already won the 323S.

So he made a mistake, that explains it.

I know how proxies work, I also think there are better proxies for Yahoo Japan.

Quote:
Who's going to buy this at that price? http://www.ebay.de/itm/STAX-LAMBDA-PROFESSIONAL-HEADPHONE-DRIVER-UNIT-PLUS-EQUALIZER-COMPLETE-UNIT-/190884084120?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2c7193f998

A bit expensive, but it does come with the ED-1

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #24,561 of 24,807
Quote:

Yeah seems like he just lied to you so he offload the problem to you and expect you're dumb enough to believe the charge up cancels out imbalance issue. Since the SRD-4 adaptor hooks up directly to a integrated amp, you can use balance controls if it has one.

Quote:
So he made a mistake, that explains it.

I know how proxies work, I also think there are better proxies for Yahoo Japan.

Yes indeed there are, with better fees and faster shipping time to boot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #24,569 of 24,807
There was the ED-1 version for the Signature for sale here a while back. That is the one I would have wanted and should have bought. It didn't sell very quickly believe it or not and was under $500. I think they get used as a novelty and pretty much just for collecting. If anything that Smyth Realiser would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back