The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #24,512 of 24,807
The SR-009 imbalance cases seem to be stacking up so something has to be done.  If somebody has a broken set that is out of warranty then I'd like to buy it to see what the hell is going on.  I'll post a WTB thread too. 

Quote:
And that's where I'd like to know if a wee was used because, as little as I understand, you'd be using two transformers in a row that do the opposite (the one in the carry to drive low impedance resistive load and the one in the wee to drive high impedance capacitive load).

Seems like less than ideal combination from a purist point of view but then, people's impressions were utterly positive...

No way in hell Stax would allow them to use the Wee as it won't work properly and using non Stax amps clearly violates the warranty.  They've never actually used that to my knowledge to refuse service but using anything non Stax makes no sense. 

This is all utterly besides the point of the 300SEI being one of the worst amps ever made.  Well that and using one of the best transducers in the world with something that outputs only a faint recollection of the input signal... 

As for the whole transformers feeding a transformer, it makes little sense to step the voltage down by an order of about 20:1 to step it back up 1:30.  Now transformers can be very linear devices but that means expensive iron and low ratios are a must have.  We have neither here and then add to it the basic nature of electrostatics and their quirks and it's a match made in hell.  Same argument can be made for OTL tube amps too as they were designed to drive a certain load and a Stax transformer is not even close to that. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #24,514 of 24,807
Quote:
There are a handful bunch of dynamic headphones (when well powered) sound just as good or better than the basic Stax stuff.

This is only my opinion, and it's only one example, but for what I spend on a pair of 600 Ohm Beyer DT880, plus La Figaro 336C OTL tube amp, plus numerous NOS tubes to really get it going...................I could have bought a Stax SRS-2170 and I would have been happier.
I have a Q701.............maybe I just need a better amp for it.
Oh well!
redface.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #24,515 of 24,807
Yeah, chasing that unicorn again. Get the Stats, they have clear advantages, but the dynamics has theirs too, the trebles are not one of them for sure!

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #24,516 of 24,807
Quote:
There are a handful bunch of dynamic headphones (when well powered) sound just as good or better than the basic Stax stuff.

Good, sure, but what about as utterly non-fatiguing?

Picking up a soldering kit today. Does anyone know what a noob has to do to get the volume pot on my SRM-T1 working again? Previous owner replaced the RCAs and ran them straight through the amp fixed-level (decoupling the volume pot in the process). I have no electrical experience but I'd like to take a stab. I don't know how to read the schematics so my best guess was to make the insides look like a normal one.
redface.gif

Don't really need the volume control as much as I need the balance control, but I guess they come together. Digital compensation is crap.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #24,517 of 24,807
Quote:
The SR-009 imbalance cases seem to be stacking up so something has to be done.  If somebody has a broken set that is out of warranty then I'd like to buy it to see what the hell is going on.  I'll post a WTB thread too. 

No way in hell Stax would allow them to use the Wee as it won't work properly and using non Stax amps clearly violates the warranty.  They've never actually used that to my knowledge to refuse service but using anything non Stax makes no sense. 

This is all utterly besides the point of the 300SEI being one of the worst amps ever made.  Well that and using one of the best transducers in the world with something that outputs only a faint recollection of the input signal... 

As for the whole transformers feeding a transformer, it makes little sense to step the voltage down by an order of about 20:1 to step it back up 1:30.  Now transformers can be very linear devices but that means expensive iron and low ratios are a must have.  We have neither here and then add to it the basic nature of electrostatics and their quirks and it's a match made in hell.  Same argument can be made for OTL tube amps too as they were designed to drive a certain load and a Stax transformer is not even close to that. 

Hello spritzer,

So why the amplifier OTL Audiovalve RKV mark 2 is even better to listen (with SR 009) when coupled with the Wee without Impedancer than if it is use with ?

See the skywalkerciel listening report to this link (in French) and the photos of the system (RKV + Wee without impedancer, and the stax SRM 727 amplifier)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/club-des-heureux-proprietaires-de-casques-stax-t29819561-3675.html

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #24,518 of 24,807
Quote:
1980's. At least that's what I remember from the top of my head from reading the operating manual and brochure that came with my pair.

Yes, early 80's. They were popular - a relatively cheap way into electrostatic headphones - much better than most dynamic phones on the market at the time. I thought they sounded similar to the SR5's but I bow to your better memory DefQon.
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #24,522 of 24,807
Aug 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #24,524 of 24,807

Oups! Turns out a wee was used with the 300 SEI (was confirmed in the festival report thread as I asked the question there).

The intriguing bit is that the impressions posted on the 009 in that thread are very very positive. Granted, it may have been first experience with the 009 so there's the shiny new toy effect. But, maybe using these two trans in a row alters the phones response in a pleasing way? I see your point about the waste of potential, but you're first to say there's something wrong with the 009, so why not after all?

The 2 trans thing sounds a bit absurd, but Eric seems to get excellent results with the otl amp driving the wee. I guess it's one of those things I need to hear for myself.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #24,525 of 24,807
Quote:
Woah the Cary CAD 300SEI amp dates all the way back to 1995. Pretty old.

True but the real issue is the circuit, the parts and how it is built.  Look up the internal pics... 

Take box, parts, some glue and shake until ready. 

Quote:
Good, sure, but what about as utterly non-fatiguing?

Picking up a soldering kit today. Does anyone know what a noob has to do to get the volume pot on my SRM-T1 working again? Previous owner replaced the RCAs and ran them straight through the amp fixed-level (decoupling the volume pot in the process). I have no electrical experience but I'd like to take a stab. I don't know how to read the schematics so my best guess was to make the insides look like a normal one.
redface.gif

Don't really need the volume control as much as I need the balance control, but I guess they come together. Digital compensation is crap.

First job, google "Alps RK27 wiring" to see which wire goes where.  Then take the center pin from each of the RCA's to the pots in, the out goes to the pcb and then run a ground wire (one or two, doesn't matter) from the RCA ground (the shell) to the pots ground and then onto the pcb.  Blue looks to be ground in the pic but it's too small to make it out. 

Quote:

Hello spritzer,

So why the amplifier OTL Audiovalve RKV mark 2 is even better to listen (with SR 009) when coupled with the Wee without Impedancer than if it is use with ?

See the skywalkerciel listening report to this link (in French) and the photos of the system (RKV + Wee without impedancer, and the stax SRM 727 amplifier)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/casques-haute-fidelite/club-des-heureux-proprietaires-de-casques-stax-t29819561-3675.html

What on earth has the position of a volume knob got to do with anything?  That's just gain and says nothing about pretty much anything.  That said the 727 has the lowest gain of all Stax amps by a nice margin since they have some noise issues with the circuit. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back