The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #23,822 of 24,807
Quote:
Oh, this HE60 is my only one. At least I have the HEV70 so Sennheiser can service it for me.

Imbalance is in the order of ~8dB quieter on the right channel. I suppose I'll take a wait-and-see approach with what happens -- I'll be opening the right earcup soon enough to replace a torn rubber band anyway.

Thought you're the one that just purchased the Headroom set on ebay?
Quote:
Can someone comment on the SR-303 set?

Great and fun sounding, what else do you want to know?

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #23,824 of 24,807
Quote:
Wow somebody got an amazing deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HE60-HEV70-Electrostatic-Baby-Orpheus-/200931951781?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2ec87a44a5&nma=true&si=nWQRkyK1Rq74arITzrDoR5kKpB0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Oh so you didn't buy this one? I had the impression that you purchased this one (also sold by looks of Headroom also). 

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #23,825 of 24,807
Oh so you didn't buy this one? I had the impression that you purchased this one (also sold by looks of Headroom also). 

That's the listing I bought (listing ended in early June). They only had one pair.

Even with the heavy imbalance I think I lucked out (the other listing that went for $1200 recently was without the HEV70 and untested).

Since I got a good deal I was planning on replacing the drivers anyway but I need to sell my source and subwoofer first in order to make it a financially responsible decision.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #23,826 of 24,807
I came back to the headphone world after playing around with IEMs. So I'm not too clear with other dynamic phones. I only vaguely remember the HD800/LCD2 from memory. It's not that I don't like the 202s. But after receiving my system, I had to ask a: "Is that it?" I don't feel the Stax magic. Maybe I'm being a little too picky for something that is only a basic Stax.

Right now I'm feeding the 252 from a Cirrus Logic Flagship DAC chip. 
Engaging...sort of
Detailed-> I find IEMs easier to concnetrate on the details
Non fatiguing-> I felt fatigued after 1 hour somehow... violins, cymbals, high pitched vocals become more shrill like than musical. 

I find all this strange. That I would feel that this relatively neutral headphone would sound bright to me when the KAEDE I use (which is apparently treble knives) sounds fine.

As far as I'm concerned, the "basic Stax" system sounds outstanding and is easily worth the $750 I paid for it. Not too sure what a Cirrus Logic Flagship DAC chip is..............I'm not a DSP guy....................just wondering: if you were to drive the SRS-2170 directly from a (for example) iPod Touch I think what you would hear is just how bad an iPod headphone jack sounds.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #23,827 of 24,807
Quote:

There is a lot more to amp design than low THD.  All in all THD is a useless benchmark except to weed out the really disastrous circuits.  One springs to mind which Kevin sent my way.  Some guy had sent it to him to comment on and when run in simulation is has a THD of 200%... that's not a typo. 

The normal ways to keep THD low have rather severe side effects and the "designer" didn't take any of the less used paths which do work better.  It's just a shoddy design with a lot of shortcuts and some aspects deemed not important when they clearly are.  All in all it's crap and you can do so much better for a low price.  Take the new Squarewave Kevin did from the old Single Power amps.  More power than the POS Liquid Gold, dirt cheap to build and a THD of 0.01%.  Fully discrete too so no opamps with all their issues. 

Yep, I think the idea that an amp's THD was the only measurement you'd ever need dates back to Julian Hirsch and Stereo Review and Consumer reports all from about 45 years ago.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #23,828 of 24,807
Sorry, forgot to mention that how they compare to the Lambda / SRM-1/MK2 combo as there's one going for 550€. The SR-303/SRM-313 set is going for 650€. I will be driving them from my KGSS, but mainly looking at the Stax amps for bedside use.

What would you say is the better value out of the two sets?
Quote:
Great and fun sounding, what else do you want to know?

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #23,829 of 24,807

Quote:
But,,, I think I want to replace my amp.  I have the SRM-006t.  I have been trying to negotiate buying a SRM-007ii but that may fall through due to my being in Canada.
Anyone have a suggestion whether this is the amp to go for or should I try the 727 or 717?  They're all close to the same price in used and that's about my budget.

I would go for the 717 if you can find a good example. I love mine, fast, good bass and none fatigiing. To me the Stax tubed amps sound a bit slow and flatter.
I
 use an Audio Note tubed NOS DAC and a tubed Audio Note pre amp before the Stax 717. It really give the Stax amp the ddrive and bass I crave (I use SR-007s 2.5s).

BTW the SRM-717 is a no feedback design, unlike the later 717 which helps in the clean sound. The later 727 is part negative feedback, which according to Sprizerha
d to happen due to design copyright, not for sonic reasons....

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #23,830 of 24,807
Does anyone has the schematic for SRD-7SB? 

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #23,832 of 24,807
Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, the "basic Stax" system sounds outstanding and is easily worth the $750 I paid for it. Not too sure what a Cirrus Logic Flagship DAC chip is..............I'm not a DSP guy....................just wondering: if you were to drive the SRS-2170 directly from a (for example) iPod Touch I think what you would hear is just how bad an iPod headphone jack sounds.

I don't think that the 20XX series is bad. Just nothing special. That's all. It doesn't outperform or lose to anything else I've heard so far.

I hope my view changes when I get to demo a 007 or 009. I'll prob skip all the other Lambda models and go straight with the 007 someday in the future.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #23,833 of 24,807
Quote:
I only have the Pro and MkII.
Will post them anyway.

Thanks. I have compared these against the circuit board of my SRD-7SB and the SB seems quite dissimilar. 

I googled everywhere, and nobody seems to have posted a schematic for the SB. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #23,834 of 24,807
Quote:
I don't think that the 20XX series is bad. Just nothing special. That's all. It doesn't outperform or lose to anything else I've heard so far.

I hope my view changes when I get to demo a 007 or 009. I'll prob skip all the other Lambda models and go straight with the 007 someday in the future.

It's a good choice :)

On a good amp, the 007 is great and is a lot darker (music seems to come out of "nowhere"). So if you find the 202s bright, the 007s should fit you well. That all said, you may get used to the 202s after some time? 

Personally, I do one of the best value "upgrades" to go along with the 202s is a set of tactile transducers put into your chair. They aren't expensive and they really elevate the listening experience. You get detail and chest-pounding bass at the same time :)

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #23,835 of 24,807
Quote:

Quote:

It's a good choice :)

On a good amp, the 007 is great and is a lot darker (music seems to come out of "nowhere"). So if you find the 202s bright, the 007s should fit you well. That all said, you may get used to the 202s after some time? 

Personally, I do one of the best value "upgrades" to go along with the 202s is a set of tactile transducers put into your chair. They aren't expensive and they really elevate the listening experience. You get detail and chest-pounding bass at the same time :)

Put it this way, if he likes the LCD2's dark/laid back sound signature than he will like the 007's. If he doesn't like the Lambda 202's sound (which is sort of distinctly different to the rest of the other Lambda's), then he will not like the 009 or O1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back