The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #22,516 of 24,807
The Liquid Lightning folks certainly seem to think so.

May 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #22,517 of 24,807
^^ that makes me wonder ..why arnt LL guys here ?? I mean this is stax thread not BHSE thread , i dont see them defending LL here.
Quote:
T2  and  D-I-Y  T2    are somewhat different, the D-I-Y  T2  has numerous improvements, I think mostly in voltage and current regulation and active device linearity measures.  I dunno about the Stax T2, but the D-I-Y  T2 certainly is said to better the BHSE according to people who have heard both.

Hmm OK.

May 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #22,519 of 24,807
Quote:
KG getting his decision overruled for the KGSSHV!?

That does happen but I'm usually the one being overruled. 
redface.gif

Quote:
OK so I'm late to the party..  Can someone describe the Megatron??
L3000.gif

It's basically the ultimate expression of an all tube electrostatic amp with an EL34 based CCS for each output.  So that means 8 EL34's plus the input tubes.  The complexity of the filaments is in another league as the CCS EL34's cathodes are sitting on top of the output tubes so they will see a lot of voltage.  This violates the C-Fv so they need fully isolated transformers right next to the tubes. 

This design was the fruit of a rather prolific few months when design after design was drawn up and then made ever more complex.  The output stage came from me cloning the RSA A-10 and trying to make something useable from that mess of a circuit and some good ideas from Kevin.  It may look like SRPP but it isn't as SRPP can't work for electrostatics. 

Quote:
T2  and  D-I-Y  T2    are somewhat different, the D-I-Y  T2  has numerous improvements, I think mostly in voltage and current regulation and active device linearity measures.  I dunno about the Stax T2, but the D-I-Y  T2 certainly is said to better the BHSE according to people who have heard both.

The difference between a stock T2 and the DIY is very, very big.  Large part is due to the PSU but also the more linear layout and proper PCB design.  We use better parts too so even if the audio circuits are identical there is a large difference. 

As for how it compares to the BHSE, the DIY is nice step up but it should be for the cost.  It's at least 5k$ in the parts alone if you can even get them.  Not everybody is sitting on a few hundred 2SC3675's like I am... 
redface.gif

Quote:
Does anyone out there think that an all-solid-state amp design could, in theory, do justice to the 009s?

Depends on what you mean, "do justice".  If you mean drive them to the full extent possible then the KGSSHV does fit the bill.  Ruthlessly revealing and with enough power to drive the headphones into oblivion.  Now if you want to "fix" the sound then things get a bit more complicated.  It's very easy to just dull down the top end to make it sound pleasant but that sort of defeats the purpose of the transducer design.  It takes a more delicate touch and the best I've heard was a refurbished SRA-12S preamp.  This is early 70's technology but the amp is a bit of an odd duck.  The input stage is driven from a rather nice PSU and is similar in many ways from the Hood class A amps from the same vintage.  Now the output stage is the truly odd one as it is basically a single ended triode but using a single bipolar transistor instead.  The stock KGSS is a also a good match given it's slightly warmer tone compared to the HV.  These are the two amps I used the most when I had the 009. 

Quote:
^^ that makes me wonder ..why arnt LL guys here ?? I mean this is stax thread not BHSE thread , i dont see them defending LL here.
Hmm OK.

It's hard to talk up amps that supposedly work on magic pixie dust to rational people? 

Quote:
ah one more thing... Stax alpha pro and Gamma pro , whats the difference ?   ( i read they have same drivers as SR-X MK2 , correct me if wrong ) . they look alike.

Same headphone, just Japan vs. Export names.  The normal bias models use the drivers from the SR-X Mk3, same as the SR-5N does.  Pro models use the same driver but with a different diaphragm and larger spacing. 

May 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #22,520 of 24,807
Quote:
i dont see them defending LL here.

the force is strong but the mind unwilling and those willing have no tongue , I will quote an unnamed, untamed heathen (  ) xxx: I'm sorry, this is BS: At minimum, the LL mk2 is equal to or better than the BHSE.  Some might prefer a more polite BH sound so I can see equity there based on taste, but the KGSSHV is totally outclassed by the LL mk2.  Somebody is talking out their ... 

May 31, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #22,521 of 24,807
Quote:

It's basically the ultimate expression of an all tube electrostatic amp with an EL34 based CCS for each output.  So that means 8 EL34's plus the input tubes.  The complexity of the filaments is in another league as the CCS EL34's cathodes are sitting on top of the output tubes so they will see a lot of voltage.  This violates the C-Fv so they need fully isolated transformers right next to the tubes. 

This design was the fruit of a rather prolific few months when design after design was drawn up and then made ever more complex.  The output stage came from me cloning the RSA A-10 and trying to make something useable from that mess of a circuit and some good ideas from Kevin.  It may look like SRPP but it isn't as SRPP can't work for electrostatics. 

The difference between a stock T2 and the DIY is very, very big.  Large part is due to the PSU but also the more linear layout and proper PCB design.  We use better parts too so even if the audio circuits are identical there is a large difference. 

As for how it compares to the BHSE, the DIY is nice step up but it should be for the cost.  It's at least 5k$ in the parts alone if you can even get them.  Not everybody is sitting on a few hundred 2SC3675's like I am...  
redface.gif

Depends on what you mean, "do justice".  If you mean drive them to the full extent possible then the KGSSHV does fit the bill.  Ruthlessly revealing and with enough power to drive the headphones into oblivion.  Now if you want to "fix" the sound then things get a bit more complicated.  It's very easy to just dull down the top end to make it sound pleasant but that sort of defeats the purpose of the transducer design.  It takes a more delicate touch and the best I've heard was a refurbished SRA-12S preamp.  This is early 70's technology but the amp is a bit of an odd duck.  The input stage is driven from a rather nice PSU and is similar in many ways from the Hood class A amps from the same vintage.  Now the output stage is the truly odd one as it is basically a single ended triode but using a single bipolar transistor instead.  The stock KGSS is a also a good match given it's slightly warmer tone compared to the HV.  These are the two amps I used the most when I had the 009. 

It's hard to talk up amps that supposedly work on magic pixie dust to rational people? 

Same headphone, just Japan vs. Export names.  The normal bias models use the drivers from the SR-X Mk3, same as the SR-5N does.  Pro models use the same driver but with a different diaphragm and larger spacing. 

^^^ Loads of great and useful information^^^

May 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #22,522 of 24,807
Quote:
the force is strong but the mind unwilling and those willing have no tongue , I will quote an unnamed, untamed heathen (  ) xxx: I'm sorry, this is BS: At minimum, the LL mk2 is equal to or better than the BHSE.  Some might prefer a more polite BH sound so I can see equity there based on taste, but the KGSSHV is totally outclassed by the LL mk2.  Somebody is talking out their ... 

eek.gif

So someone did a side by side?

May 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #22,523 of 24,807
Quote:
Hmm OK.

The new LL hasn't been released in commercial form yet, and there are only 10 (If I remember correctly) of the first LL out there.  There are also threads dedicated to the LL if you search for them.  The general Stax thread is kind of like a small town that has gradually become a sprawling metropolis - there is a treasure trove of information but it can be hard to wade through and some people just give up after a while.

On another note, the LL doesn't need "defense."  Something only needs that if people are so caught up in other people's perception of what they themselves own or like that any time someone indicates they don't like it they take personal affront and must quickly return the salvo lest their precious gear be relegated second tier by the denizens of the internet.

May 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #22,524 of 24,807
Quote:
Hmm OK.

Uhm, no, by de facto, this actually is a BHSE/KG/et al thread.  It's just how this thread has developed.  No one familiar with anonymous forums should be surprised that it's a matter of who's most vocal and seemingly credible, and until there's an equally vocal and seemingly credible counterweight it will remain a BHSE/KG/et al thread, and frankly, more power to them.  C'est la vie.  No one thread has to be everything to everyone.  I, for one, am a fan of Cavalli amps and of Alex, and if I wanted to highlight one of his amps, then I would add to existing Cavalli threads or create one myself.  Given the tenor and history of this long-lasting thread, it would be spitting against the wind to advocate for Cavalli (amp or the man) in this thread.

May 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #22,525 of 24,807
Quote:

Uhm, no, by de facto, this actually is a BHSE/KG/et al thread.  It's just how this thread has developed.  No one familiar with anonymous forums should be surprised that it's a matter of who's most vocal and seemingly credible, and until there's an equally vocal and seemingly credible counterweight it will remain a BHSE/KG/et al thread, and frankly, more power to them.  C'est la vie.  No one thread has to be everything to everyone.  I, for one, am a fan of Cavalli amps and of Alex, and if I wanted to highlight one of his amps, then I would add to existing Cavalli threads or create one myself.  Given the tenor and history of this long-lasting thread, it would be spitting against the wind to advocate for Cavalli (amp or the man) in this thread.

This is nonsensical -- and quite a weak way to defend Cavalli amps! 

May 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #22,526 of 24,807
I don't think he was defending them, he was just saying those who do do so elsewhere.  You don't loudly proclaim your fanhood of Manchester United in a bar full of Liverpool fans unless you want to start a riot.  I would re-iterate that these amps really don't need defense (at least not from valid criticisms that aren't just speculation) unless they are a form of compensation.  

May 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #22,527 of 24,807
Quote:

Sounds like Biggie's highly opinionated BFF - I say his name every time I sneeze.

So why does the new LL2 have a two in it?
Did they finally fix the squealing power supply of the first model?

EDIT: Or maybe I should ask - Is there a thread that discusses the improvements incorporated in the LL2? (other than the chassis)

May 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #22,530 of 24,807
Quote:
You managed to not get my point and still prove it at the same time. Congrats!

I wasn't sure whether or not you would get it. Most of the time my humor flies under the radar here! 
wink.gif
 Of course, I was also partly serious, but that you surely got as well.

All those amps and head phones should ideally be listened with “blindly,” just like wine lovers taste wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back