The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #20,266 of 24,807
Quote:

I've recently had a similar "Hallmark moment" w.r.t Stax phones, specifically the 007/007tII combo... but that was at Audio Shop here in Montreal... check 'em out!

I tought we didn't have a Stax dealer in Montréal, i'll be checking them out for sure, thank!

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #20,267 of 24,807
Quote:
Congratulations on the 507"s. What amp will you be using with them?

Quote:
@SBranson - Have you tried them yet? And yeah, what amp?

A few weeks ago I found a Lambda Signature/ SRM-T1 set locally for a good price.  I hadn't intended on keeping them but I liked the sound so much that I've gone ahead to the SR-507s.
I read on here that the SRM-T1 is a decent amp for the 507s.   
The 507s are in the post so I haven't had a chance to hear them.  My source isn't ideal at the moment, an ipod with lossless files but I will be adding a Cypher Labs DAC to that.  The Ipod (through LOD) sounds pretty good through the present Λsigs and SRM-T1 but mostly with small chamber works and female vocals/piano/guitar.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #20,269 of 24,807
Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/172611/long-meandering-comparison-of-stax-404-and-stax-x-iii-episode-i/240

I only looked at the last page. Some good pics of the drivers, post #247 gives a good description of disassembly.
FWIW, your SR-5 Gold drivers are the basically the same as what's used in the STAX SR-X Mk3.

Good luck, the driver innards are extremely delicate and just one small piece of dust getting inside can cause more problems.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #20,270 of 24,807
Quote:

if you like i can do a quick comparison between the Stax 507 and Hifiman HE500.  as for comfort, if you have a small head i wouldnt recommend the rectangle Stax design as they will sit very low on your ears.

I did that comparison at RMAF CanJam 2011, and I thought the 507 still had that etch and an upper mids honkyness, and the HE-500 sounded more refined, warmer, natural and enjoyable overall.  I would not buy the 507 personally, as my Lambda Nova Signature that I'd brought with me sounded better (very much like an HE-500 actually).

(Gear Used - I listened to the 507 with the Cavalli Audio rig and my Apogee mini-DAC into a KGSS, I listened to the HE-500 there at the Cavalli Audio table with Liquid Fire, my table with a DACmini, and an unknown DAC at the Schitt Audio table (Bifrost?) into a Lyr amp).

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #20,271 of 24,807
Is Stax known to be amazing with electronic?

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #20,273 of 24,807
Is Stax known to be amazing with electronic?

If you mean Electronic music, not particularly. It depends on what you're looking for sound wise though. The 404LE was great with Electronic music for me and a few others at the Dallas meet recently...and the 009 sounds legendary with just about everything including EDM.

They're especially good for Ambient though.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #20,275 of 24,807
Quote:

As long as the music was recorded well with the intention of neutral playback, it should sound great, as long as you are not looking for bass cannons. I'm not sure how rigorously most electronic music follows this ideal, however.

I guess it's more Pshycedelic Rock but its electronic..

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #20,276 of 24,807
Most probably this question was already answered in this forum but with 1532 pages I can't find it.

My dealer is suggesting me to buy the SR009 + SRM-007tII.

I have no doubts the SR009 are very good. Is this Stax amp a proper match? How does it compare with the more expensive Woo WES?

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #20,278 of 24,807
Thought the WES was highly regarded here besides the BHSE, A10, Diy KGSSHV. 
confused.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #20,280 of 24,807
Quote:
Thought the WES was highly regarded here besides the BHSE, A10, Diy KGSSHV. 
confused.gif

I am currently using the Stax 323II with the 009 (while waiting for a BHSE on order)... I was in Berlin recently and had a chance to listen to the 727 and compare it with the new Malvlave. I was not impressed at all by the 727 vs the 323II and I wished at the time that I had my amp with me to compare. At any rate, after about an hour of listening to this amp I thought that the 323II was pretty good for half the price (but again, I was not able to compare them side by side). Oh, and just in case you wondered, the Malvalve was impressive, but mostly for Jazz (much better than the 323II, no doubt!), not so much for classical music though. I sincerely do hope that the BHSE will sound way better than the Malvalve with classical music, which is pretty much all I listen to. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back