The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #19,696 of 24,807
I asked about that amp but not because of the ebay listing but I do actually own it and it's my first amp so I asked about my other options. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #19,697 of 24,807
Quote:
IME . With the 009's I prefer the SRM-1/MK2 to the SRM-323s 

Can you elaborate on that more? What do you like better on the SRM-1? If I'm not mistaken, SR-009s are easier to drive than their predecessors. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #19,698 of 24,807
So it was just coincidence. Congrats on the new amp, by the way, even if it wasn't that one.

What I do know of other people's impressions is that it apparently has a bright signature that matches better with the vintage Lambdas, so if you pair a modern numerical Lambda to it with a modern source, you might find it a bit too treble-emphasized overall.

But that's what EQ is for, right?

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #19,700 of 24,807
Following up on my quest to find a replacement for my DacMagic Plus (DMP): I think I'm settled on the Beresford Bushmaster (thank you for pointing it out, SquireC!).

I auditioned Audio-gd's Reference 7.1, that was kindly recommended by the AddictedToAudio's folks, and found it a very noticeable step up from the DMP. However, at the price point of the Bushmaster I just could't pass it, and boy was I rewarded. It sure delivers in spades; and while I somewhat lament the loss of a USB in, I managed to work around it.

The resuting chain is MacBook Pro -> optical S/PDIF -> Bushmaster -> Stax RCA cable -> High-Amp's Transistoramp V4 -> SR-007A.

As a side bonus, the Bushmaster's built-in headphone amp drives my 250 Ohm DT-770 Pros quite unbelievably - I like me some serious bass sometimes, and this combo certainly can provide some head-thumping sound for those occasions!

All in all, I'm extremely happy, with the resulting clarity, transparency, and very nice balanced presentation.

Looks like some of my gear will be hitting For Sale forum soon. :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #19,701 of 24,807
Quote:
Following up on my quest to find a replacement for my DacMagic Plus (DMP): I think I'm settled on the Beresford Bushmaster (thank you for pointing it out, SquireC!).

I auditioned Audio-gd's Reference 7.1, that was kindly recommended by the AddictedToAudio's folks, and found it a very noticeable step up from the DMP. However, at the price point of the Bushmaster I just could't pass it, and boy was I rewarded. It sure delivers in spades; and while I somewhat lament the loss of a USB in, I managed to work around it.

The resuting chain is MacBook Pro -> optical S/PDIF -> Bushmaster -> Stax RCA cable -> High-Amp's Transistoramp V4 -> SR-007A.

As a side bonus, the Bushmaster's built-in headphone amp drives my 250 Ohm DT-770 Pros quite unbelievably - I like me some serious bass sometimes, and this combo certainly can provide some head-thumping sound for those occasions!

All in all, I'm extremely happy, with the resulting clarity, transparency, and very nice balanced presentation.

Looks like some of my gear will be hitting For Sale forum soon. :)

Glad I could help.

Apparently, if you want to maximise the performance of the DAC, you need one of these. Moves the DAC into a higher league altogether - and return in 30 days if you don't agree.

h**p://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=414

When you order with Mark (assuming you do) there's a comments field - so mention any mains voltage differences, etc. Mark is very helpful.

Happy listening.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #19,703 of 24,807
Personally I'd stay far away from Beresford and people with low post count recommending it.  The guy that sells that trash spent years on HF with multiple accounts promoting his own products.  Since the IP filter is broken on HF now he could just as well be back...

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #19,704 of 24,807
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. Someone just scored an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro for under $300 shipped.

It was listed at a $350 Buy-It-Now price too, so I wasn't expecting the seller to take an offer that low.

Was it anyone in this thread, by any chance? (Seems a bit too coincidental that someone asks about the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro right when that listing showed up...)

Just out of curiosity, what does this amp normally go for? I have been considering it as an option.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #19,705 of 24,807
Dear spritzer,

Apologies for inadvertently "advertising" the BM - I certainly didn't mean to use my post to propmote commercial interests of any kind. I only wanted to share my personal positive experience with a product that appears to work very well in my particular circumstances.

Cheers,

-- Dmitri

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #19,706 of 24,807
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what does this amp normally go for? I have been considering it as an option.

300 for an srm1-mk2 with an "A" serial is reasonable nowadays. The only reason you see them going for much more sometimes is because no one buying stax on ebay seems to know what anything is worth, and in the process inflate the prices. (for instance, a T1 packaged with a lambda sig went for something like 1600 earlier this year) You can find srm1mk2's for dirt cheap over at yahoo japan sometimes, but after bidding through a service like kuboten and shipping it here much of that discount can be lost. Also, on ebay and the like you can expect to see "B" and "C" serials going for higher, and the "P.P." model is the best version so that will also go for a premium usually.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #19,707 of 24,807
Quote:

300 for an srm1-mk2 with an "A" serial is reasonable nowadays. The only reason you see them going for much more sometimes is because no one buying stax on ebay seems to know what anything is worth, and in the process inflate the prices. (for instance, a T1 packaged with a lambda sig went for something like 1600 earlier this year) You can find srm1mk2's for dirt cheap over at yahoo japan sometimes, but after bidding through a service like kuboten and shipping it here much of that discount can be lost. Also, on ebay and the like you can expect to see "B" and "C" serials going for higher, and the "P.P." model is the best version so that will also go for a premium usually.

Certainly helpful - what are the differences in the B, C and PP?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #19,708 of 24,807
Quote:
Certainly helpful - what are the differences in the B, C and PP?

From what I understand it's just the parts used that make them different, and of course the "B" and "C"s would be more recent as well. The PP was released in 89' as the final version and had two five pin pro bias jacks rather than one normal and one pro. It also apparently used even better components than previous versions.   I think people have also found variances even when comparing the same lettered amps, so Stax was making small changes throughout the products life.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #19,709 of 24,807
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. Someone just scored an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro for under $300 shipped.

It was listed at a $350 Buy-It-Now price too, so I wasn't expecting the seller to take an offer that low.

Was it anyone in this thread, by any chance? (Seems a bit too coincidental that someone asks about the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro right when that listing showed up...)

I scored one and a Sr-202(practially new) for $550 shipped from indonesia to australia.
=D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back