The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #19,261 of 24,807
I put my O2 Mk1's away for a few days to listen to the Sr-x  pro's. I think it is a really fun combination to have because going back to the O2's just wowed me with its strengths and the Sr-x pro's are a great experience themselves. I think it will be great to bounce back and forth between the two contrasting experiences for a long time to come. Just wondering how many factory Sr-x pro's would you guess that are out there?

200-300 is my rough estimation but could be less or more, surely rarer than the already rare SR-Omega. They cost almost as much as the Lambda, so nobody was interested.
I think they are very balanced from top to bottom, the midrange is the most impressive thing after all it is definitely more real than the O2 and free of glare unlike with most Lambdas.
They are heavily damped so even though they go deep they will never you a kick in the back bass, very controlled. It is all about clarity, a "chemically pure" sound.
And of course the soundstage is not so big either but well separated.
This is an old comparison that I really like.
They take EQ extemely well as noted before, so I will try to find a setting that might please me even more (boost the bass a bit for some tracks)

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #19,262 of 24,807
Quote:

Heh, true enough. I meant that i was going to go through Imagineering, since Dr Gilmore had said they made some of the best boards he had seen. Though having never ordered a PCB before, even the first page of that quote section was a bit daunting 
redface.gif

i get boards through here, and I don't think they actually make any boards, but they contract the jobs out to board manufacturers, and I doubt any of them are in North America.  I have had good luck with them because there is some guarantee of the quality.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #19,263 of 24,807
Hah, I hacked me a ghetto-style adapter for my SR-001 mkII to plug them into my SRM-007tA today (ripped pins from a couple of el-cheapo XLR sockets; a small circle cut out of plex with 2.5mm holes to hold them pins in their correct places; a bunch of nice colourful wires, and a small piece of PCB cut to size with groves between traces cut by a dremel grinder), and boy, what a reward! These tiny things are very, very sweet when driven by a proper amp!

Now, if you excuse me, I'll be off to enjoy the music. :)

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #19,264 of 24,807
Quote:
Hah, I hacked me a ghetto-style adapter for my SR-001 mkII to plug them into my SRM-007tA today

Can you post some pictures  ?  Plexi ok for all the voltage?

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #19,265 of 24,807
Quote:
Can you post some pictures  ?  Plexi ok for all the voltage?

Sure, see below, hopefully what you wanted to see is visible..

Plexi seems to be pretty much fine for the voltage - there's quite a bit of it between the pins; there's much less fibreglass between the traces on the PCB.

Speaking of which, I had to peel off a couple of layers of fibreglass off the PCB to get it to the correct thickness of around 1.2mm. If you do it - please be super-extra careful, peeling is not fun. Get your PCB fixed nice and tight and use something like an oyster knife or some other knife with rounded end.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #19,266 of 24,807
Quote:

Sure, see below, hopefully what you wanted to see is visible..

Plexi seems to be pretty much fine for the voltage - there's quite a bit of it between the pins; there's much less fibreglass between the traces on the PCB.

Speaking of which, I had to peel off a couple of layers of fibreglass off the PCB to get it to the correct thickness of around 1.2mm. If you do it - please be super-extra careful, peeling is not fun. Get your PCB fixed nice and tight and use something like an oyster knife or some other knife with rounded end.

That is not a bad job, considering.  Heat shrink and a little chunk of acrylic tube stock epoxied onto the back of the plug would have prettied it up but for ho-made it's darn good!  Shows real resourcefulness!

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #19,267 of 24,807
Quote:
That is not a bad job, considering.  Heat shrink and a little chunk of acrylic tube stock epoxied onto the back of the plug would have prettied it up but for ho-made it's darn good!  Shows real resourcefulness!

Thank you, sir! :) Considering that the piece of plex was actually a self-adhesive coat hanger that got a bit of a trimming and whatnot, too. :)

And thanks for the idea on how to pretty it up, I'll see if I can do it when I have time.

-- Dmitri

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #19,268 of 24,807
Quote:
200-300 is my rough estimation but could be less or more, surely rarer than the already rare SR-Omega. They cost almost as much as the Lambda, so nobody was interested.
I think they are very balanced from top to bottom, the midrange is the most impressive thing after all it is definitely more real than the O2 and free of glare unlike with most Lambdas.
They are heavily damped so even though they go deep they will never you a kick in the back bass, very controlled. It is all about clarity, a "chemically pure" sound.
And of course the soundstage is not so big either but well separated.
This is an old comparison that I really like.
They take EQ extemely well as noted before, so I will try to find a setting that might please me even more (boost the bass a bit for some tracks)

I have one lying around. I got it as and add to my SRA14S. I Seller just gave it to me with the preamp (and also a Lambda Pro). I used it on lourneys together with my SRM-X Pro (+BPS).
I liked it but never did a lot of comparison.

Regards Georg

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #19,269 of 24,807
Just picked up a srm1-mk2 with two normal bias plugs. As I believe this is one of the older configurations for the amp, are there parts that should be changed out? Recapped? Etc...

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #19,270 of 24,807
That amp is pre 1982 so new caps are in order.  You can leave the film caps alone but I did replace the output caps as they were in series.  Huge silver mica caps are far better than any poly box... 
smily_headphones1.gif
  These amps have one major problem though, the output devices are high voltage PNP's and there are no replacements.  Be super careful around them...

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #19,271 of 24,807
Quote:
That amp is pre 1982 so new caps are in order.  You can leave the film caps alone but I did replace the output caps as they were in series.  Huge silver mica caps are far better than any poly box... 
smily_headphones1.gif
  These amps have one major problem though, the output devices are high voltage PNP's and there are no replacements.  Be super careful around them...

Thanks spritzer.  I found your posted schematic for the pro version.  I'll look around for more "how to" posts.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #19,272 of 24,807
here's a quick shot of the inside of my srm1-mk2.  I assume the caps that need replacement are the 4 right under the variable resistors?  Sprizer, are those glass pieces along the bottom of the picture the unavailable parts you were referring to?

What is the recommended cap for replacement for these?
does the cap in the upper right hand corner need replacing as well?

I did not include the big power caps in the picture.  but they should be ok?

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #19,273 of 24,807
All the big caps have to go and replace with equal value and voltage rating.  It's ok to go a bit higher on both and just watch the pitch of the pins.  Any caps you can buy today will surpass these by a mile even when they were new but stick with Panasonic, Nichicon etc.  I also like to replace all diodes as they don't age well. 

Those glass things are small poly caps and they will last for decades.  What you have there is the later SRM-1 Mk2 normal bias amp so it might have NPN transistors on the heatsinks. Impossible to tell from the pic. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #19,274 of 24,807
The power resistors have to be replaced. There maybe other problems that are causing the resistors
To burn up

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #19,275 of 24,807
Quote:
I got my 009 from elusive disc.  A number of times per year, they have a 10% off sale that includes everything, even the things labeled otherwise.  That gets you down in < $4700 range, includes US warranty and you can pay with AMEX so you get the extra warranty coverage...........plus shipping was free.

When will they do it again?  I don't know, perhaps labor day weekend?

It's on again...................10% off everything, including Stax, until after Labor Day holiday (Sept 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back