The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #18,347 of 24,807
spritzer's board is exactly the srd7 pro schematic. All you need to do is replace
the old board with the higher voltage circuit.  And you really don't need the
plugs because the 5 pin plug fits fine into the 6 pin socket. just make sure
you never plug any regular bias headphones in again. Put a piece of
plastic in the center hole to remind you not to try that.

May 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #18,348 of 24,807
I bought a pair of Stax 007-MK1's, they have semi-old pads, but still usable. They apparently had channel imbalance.

I found that any channel imbalance was because of the ear pads, i did some mods to make them seal better, took the pads off, removed the stupid metal ring that stax put in there, what a stupid design that is, that ring piece that fits into the hole always hits my ears, so annoying. Then i just unscrewed the metal bracket a little and tucked the pads in there and tightened it up nicely.

The reason the left ear pad was not sealing properly was because the ring had been bent outwards and was not pulling the left pad hard up against the metal bracket. Also there is a hole in the left earpad at the, this now tucks into the thin gap around the black metal bracket.

I have done numerous tests, i can't find channel imbalance now.

May 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #18,349 of 24,807
Quote:
spritzer's board is exactly the srd7 pro schematic. All you need to do is replace
the old board with the higher voltage circuit.  And you really don't need the
plugs because the 5 pin plug fits fine into the 6 pin socket. just make sure
you never plug any regular bias headphones in again. Put a piece of
plastic in the center hole to remind you not to try that.

I have installed three of these boards. They do allow for a normal and a pro socket. I just have to remember the left is normal, the right is pro. Now that you mention it, blocking a hole is easier - I get older every day.

May 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #18,350 of 24,807
Nevermind.

I bought a SRD-7 MKII instead for a reasonable price. Definitely more than I anticipated to spend, but maybe I was just stupid for thinking I could get a Stax rig for cheap.
Looking forward to becoming part of the mafia. :beerchug:

May 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #18,351 of 24,807

Well, I have been using STAX ESTA4u for a time.

It's definitely different from other ordinary speakers.

I would say that it's bigger version of Lambda series.

Short at English, to write a good review, but I really like it.

As my room is small, I don't think that they are at good position, so I wanna try it at a larger space.

May 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #18,352 of 24,807
Makes me wonder.

If you have a sound source with a very big area - like a pair of electrostatic speakers - don't room acoustics suddenly become much less of an issue, as the amount of direct sound becomes relatively more?

May 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #18,353 of 24,807
Given a choice of buying a new Sr323s and a second hand Srm T1 amp for about the same price.(the T1 is slightly cheaper) to drive the original SR Omega 1, which is the better option? very much appreciate your feed backs ..

May 19, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #18,357 of 24,807
Quote:
Makes me wonder.
If you have a sound source with a very big area - like a pair of electrostatic speakers - don't room acoustics suddenly become much less of an issue, as the amount of direct sound becomes relatively more?

A tall planar speaker is a line source.  Two things make it it's interaction within a room different:
  • Sound comes from a line source as a CYLINDRICAL wavefront, whereas a regular speaker is more-or-less a point source which has a SPHERICAL wavefront.  The surface area of a cylindrical wavefront expands by a factor of two for every doubling of the distance from the speaker to the  wavefront ; the surface of a sphere increases by a factor of FOUR for every doubling of distance.  Hence, sound level from a line source like a tall planar speaker drops by 3 db for every doubling of distance (out to a distance that is greater than most listening rooms,) where the sound level from a regular speaker drops by 6 db for every doubling.   This means the NEAR FIELD of the line source extends out farther than a point source. The near field is that space where the direct sound from the speaker greatly predominates over sound reflected from the listening room walls. So, depending on placement, a line source can have a sound that is less influenced by the room.  Note this does not apply to long wavelengths like bass, because often the wavelength of the sound is greater than the distance to the listener- bass with any speaker is subject to room coloration, although usually these are usually not narrow or complicated frequency response peaks or suckouts and careful placement and / or a little room EQ can keep them from dominating the sound. NOTE sound from the planar speaker CAN reflect off the wall BEHIND the listener, and if the speaker is a dipole, it will reflect off the wall behind the speakers in front of the listener, so these walls do have an effect on the sound.
  • Sound coming from a line source like a tall planar speaker doesn't have very much vertical dispersion-  especially at high frequencies line sources produce more or less a beam that shoots out at a right angle to their vertical surface, without much energy radiating up or down. This is especially true if the planar speaker is tall enough to be quite near the ceiling. At mid and treble frequencies, there really isn't much sound 'fired' at the ceiling or floor, so reflections from ceiling and floor are quite minimal. (Assuming the planar speaker is perpendicular to the floor and not tilted back.)

So, with a tall planar speaker (or a line array of regular cone drivers)  reflections from side walls and floor / ceiling interact noticeably less than with a regular speaker.

Smaller electrostat panels like these little Stax, or a single pair of Quad ESL-57  etc are going to be somewhere between 'Line Source' and regular speaker behavior. The smaller the speaker the more it will act like a point source.   Full line source properties accrue to the  larger Magneplanars, the CLS type Martin-Logans, big Soundlab speakers, vintage KLH-9's, Acoustats, Final Design, Apogee, etc.  Quads from the ESL-63 on are a point source at higher frequencies and a line source at lower frequencies, because of their construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back