The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #18,331 of 24,807
Quote:
There is one in every crowd. Where is your KGSSHV?

Nuff said.

Yeah, you have absolutely no right to get cocky. You got LUCKY.

May 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #18,333 of 24,807
It seems I am getting a fairly severe channel imbalance in my 507 headphones.  The R channel is about 4-6 db down in the right, and can get grainy after a while.  It is not the SD 7 pro mod transformer, the transformer works fine with other Stax headphone,

Should I just order a replacement driver, or is it likely it is the power cord or solder connections?  No unusual trauma that I can recall to cord or headphone.  What order of diagnostics? Where do I get the star screw driver to remove the headband screws?

May 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #18,334 of 24,807
Originally Posted by HDMan 

There is one in every crowd. Where is your KGSSHV?

Nuff said.

I am taking my time and getting everything together and a little at a time. Still liking the project though. Congrats on getting it done! Would have guessed you would have been done closer to the 4th of July though.

May 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #18,335 of 24,807
Quote:

Yeah, you have absolutely no right to get cocky. You got LUCKY.

Let's see if it was luck next time round, you may be right, but then again you may be wrong. I still have 2 off board PCB's and 2 PSU boards, if your right then I guess I will waste my time, but I am confident next time round will work also.

I don't believe luck had anything to do with it, I do believe however that without Kevin's help I would not have been able to finish it off so soon.

May 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #18,336 of 24,807
Quote:
It seems I am getting a fairly severe channel imbalance in my 507 headphones.  The R channel is about 4-6 db down in the right, and can get grainy after a while.  It is not the SD 7 pro mod transformer, the transformer works fine with other Stax headphone,

Should I just order a replacement driver, or is it likely it is the power cord or solder connections?  No unusual trauma that I can recall to cord or headphone.  What order of diagnostics? Where do I get the star screw driver to remove the headband screws?

Let them play for a while and see if it doesn't get better on its own. 

May 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #18,337 of 24,807
I wonder.

How hard it is to mod an SRD-7 with normal bias to have pro bias?
I mean as in: Are the parts required for the job rare and/or expensive?

It could save me some serious bucks and time, since it's hard to find a good deal on cheap amps with pro-bias, and the rare SRD-7's with pro bias I found are over priced.

May 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #18,338 of 24,807
The schematics are around somewhere, its easy to upgrade.
Or buy spritzers board if he has any left that does the same thing.

May 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #18,339 of 24,807
Has anyone here ever gotten an electric shock from a pair of Stax headphones?  I'm just wondering if it ever happens / is even possible.

How much current is typically available from the bias supply?

May 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #18,344 of 24,807
The schematics are around somewhere, its easy to upgrade.
Or buy spritzers board if he has any left that does the same thing.

Would you be so kind as to point me to the schematics?

I found schematics of the of the SRD-7 MKII and pro, but not the older version.
Also, where would you be able to buy receptacles/jack for the pro plug?

May 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #18,345 of 24,807
Quote:
Has anyone here ever gotten an electric shock from a pair of Stax headphones?  I'm just wondering if it ever happens / is even possible.

How much current is typically available from the bias supply?

I touched my ghetto Stax/HE60 adapter once while playing, which had bare contacts. It was a very, very slight tingling sensation. I held on for a while before I realized the tingling was because of me touching something electrified. No pain or other things you would normally associate with an electric shock. Music kept on playing fine as well by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back