The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #17,868 of 24,807
Let's continue this one in the Stax repair thread, because it could be long and take some time,
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/588716

Quote:

I wouldn't bother to change the diaphragm if the holes are small.  If you want to recoat the diaphragm, clean the diaphragm with alcohol or acetone. Make sure there is no dust on the surface.  You only need to coat the the diaphragm one side.  It's normal to see that the diaphragm is glued to one of the stators.  Actually what you see is the diaphragm glued to a spacer which is glued on a stator.  :wink:

Can you take some pictures to show us?  I don't understand what you meant by a large foil ring.

Best regards,

Wachara C.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #17,869 of 24,807
Do you guys think is possible to fix a sr001mk2 when the cable have connections problem with the diaphragm?

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #17,871 of 24,807

Quote:
Sillisally seems to me to be a classic example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance. Why keeps explaining himself, I don't know, perhaps looking for followers to establish his own "Limited Expense Stax Mafia" 
biggrin.gif
   As others are quite happy to pay more in search of perfection, he's obviously pissing quite a lot of people off, but that's not punishable in a free world, only silly. 

Actually, the same can be said of those who believe that amplifiers make large and substantial differences in sound quality. If you spend $5000 on an amplifier upgrade, OF COURSE you're going to believe that the amplifier would made a big improvement in sound over a $500 amplifier. Otherwise, you would be considered a great fool for spending $5000 on an upgrade that made little or no difference. That, my friend, is also a "classic example" of cognitive dissonance.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #17,872 of 24,807

Quote:
Actually, the same can be said of those who believe that amplifiers make large and substantial differences in sound quality. If you spend $5000 on an amplifier upgrade, OF COURSE you're going to believe that the amplifier would made a big improvement in sound over a $500 amplifier. Otherwise, you would be considered a great fool for spending $5000 on an upgrade that made little or no difference. That, my friend, is also a "classic example" of cognitive dissonance.

Sound quality may not differ all that much (depending on your opinion), but you cannot deny an under powered speaker or set of headphones remains that, under powered. If an amp doesn't have the balls to drive power hungry speakers/headphones, you get weak bass, hollow midrange and peaky treble.

This is why different speaker companies recommend certain amperage requirements, this is not placebo.

If your prepared to spend the big bucks on an amp then you should well know that deminishing returns come into effect.

Now we are in a stax thread and to drive the upper end stax headphones, a $500 amp aint going to cut it, doesn't have the grunt required.

My Audio Technica AD700's, no problem out of an ordinary amp.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #17,873 of 24,807
^^
have you even just heard the 009 driven from a stax amp. Seems like not...

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #17,874 of 24,807
I did a lot of A/B comparison between various amps on dynamic and planar phones, and there are some differences, but they aren't what I'd call MAJOR.

What I found, to generalize:

1. Class A amps (which almost every headphone amp is)  sounded better than your typical mid-fi class A/B amp for example various integrated amp headphone jacks vs. say, an M3 amp or Beta22
  2. Some tube amps imparted a slightly different "harmonic flavor" - a slight sweetening of the highs in a certain way, and some tube amps also added a "lush" quality to the midrange.
  3. On headphones of ordinary efficiency (like HD800's) most solid state headphone amps sounded pretty similar, in some cases identical for all intents and purposes.
  4. Some amps can drive power hungry designs like the HE-6; some can't and they clip.
  5. The main difference I head from a really top quality design like the Beta22 was a slightly smoother sounding treble and better bass control. However, these differences were very small- just noticeable.

When it comes to electrostatic 'phones, I can only speak to a number of comparisons I made between the SRM-1 MK II and the SRM-T1.

On all the Stax headphones I tried (various Lambdas and SR-007 mk II's), and Koss ESP-950's, the SRM-1 MK II sounded a little brighter than the SRM-T1-  maybe slightly more 'detailed' as well, emphasis on 'slightly.'  The SRM-T1 sounded a bit more refined, the highs a little 'silkier.'  It also seemed like I could get just a little more volume level out of the SRM-T1 than the SRM-1 MK II before the sound quality degraded.  It seemed to me that these two Stax amps had more pronounced differences than two typical good-quality dynamic headphones amps would tend to exhibit.  The differences between most of the dynamic headphone amps I compared were often very subtle, if there were any differences at all.  The differences I heard between these two Stax amps were more readily noticeable.

I have to say I prefer the SRM-T1 over the SR-1 MK II.  I wouldn't say it's 'better'- it just suits my taste more. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #17,875 of 24,807

Quote:

I have to say I prefer the SRM-T1 over the SR-1 MK II.  I wouldn't say it's 'better'- it just suits my taste more. 

When it comes to the SR-007, the amp makes all the difference in the world. This isn't about trying to justify a $5,000 purchase. The SRM-1 Mk2 with 370V to play with just is not enough, and beyond that, it's very much a "built to a price" amp. When you remove all of that with the KGSSHV, the 007 really comes in to its own. Even the SRM-717 is a big step up over the SRM-1.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #17,877 of 24,807
I just won an eBay auction for an SR-202!

They have new, unused ear pads and no apparent cosmetic flaws. If something does go wrong the seller guarantees a three month warranty.
I'm so excited.

I still need to buy an energizer though. I'm hoping to get one for under $150.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #17,879 of 24,807
Hi. I listening to music on Stax SR-404LE (Limited Ed.) and eXStatA (by Alex Cavalli), the solid-state version (source, Apple iMac >> AR-T Legato, and MHDT Lab Havana DAC - wich is radically transformed in terms of components changed).
I have a question: why Stax sound is clearly better after a few hours of listening? I suspect that the membrane becomes more relaxed and the sound is more realistic, more consistent (transparent sound and texture are much improved). Differences are incredible in terms of sound quality. In other words, SR-404LE and eXStatA sounds great!
smile.gif

Thank's!

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #17,880 of 24,807

Quote:
When it comes to the SR-007, the amp makes all the difference in the world. This isn't about trying to justify a $5,000 purchase. The SRM-1 Mk2 with 370V to play with just is not enough, and beyond that, it's very much a "built to a price" amp. When you remove all of that with the KGSSHV, the 007 really comes in to its own. Even the SRM-717 is a big step up over the SRM-1.

So I've heard. That's why I am building a DIY T-2.  Have all the parts, now am doing the metalcraft on the case. Takes time, alas.  Started this last September, acquiring parts.  Might be done by Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back