The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #16,127 of 24,807
HV is for High Voltage, Not that the standard KGSS is particularly low on voltage, just that the HV is +100V on the rails, which makes it a 900V RMS amp, in comparison to the 700V KGSS or the 450V Stax 717/727 i.e. Hope i'm not mistaken on the RMS part.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #16,128 of 24,807
"700V KGSS or the 450V Stax 717/727"  Isn't it 1400V for the KGSS?

I really hope he comes out with a KGSSHV is the near future because it will probably be the best version. I would hope it would be the sound quality of the BHSE but the convenience of Solid State.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #16,130 of 24,807

Quote:
"700V KGSS or the 450V Stax 717/727"  Isn't it 1400V for the KGSS?

I really hope he comes out with a KGSSHV is the near future because it will probably be the best version. I would hope it would be the sound quality of the BHSE but the convenience of Solid State.

Right now, the BHSE is enough to handle!  There would actually be minimal parts cost difference between a KGSSHV and a BHSE.  A quad of EL34 tubes is 90% of the difference.  Going to a single-box unit would save a lot, but it would on the BH too.  So right now my focus is on the BHSE.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #16,131 of 24,807

Quote:
Power cords can indeed make incredible differences, despite the usual arguments of "how can the last few feet of power wire possibly make any difference" and "a properly designed power supply can deal with any AC noise problem". I was quite surprised at how huge the differences were between the cords I tried between the wall and my (now sold) PS Power Plant Premier. The PS is an AC regenerator, and the cord connecting it to the wall in theory shouldn't matter, but it does, BIG TIME.

Certain power supplies such as the switching units in ICEpower amps seem to ignore power cords, and some of the very best components with price tags well into 5 figures also seem to not need help with AC. For a typical component with a linear supply though, conditioning and cords matter.

I agree with you Dave... except that I found that PCs actually made a big difference with my (now sold) EMM Labs DCC2 Pre/Dac and CDSD transport, which both had switching power supplies.  Amazingly, although I could quickly and easily tell the difference between after-mkt. PCs, after spending some big $$$ on tweeks, I ended up liking the stock Kimber-sourced PCs the best (though they were not the best in every aspect of performance--being less smooth and "musical" than, say, top-of-the-line Shunyatas).  

Anyway, this is just to say that contrary to manufacturer's claims (again!), even switching power supplies can still be affected from up-stream power.  I am not saying that this is the case for the ICE Amps, as I have never had any of these in my own system, but my EMM Labs experience has led me to suspect that linear power supplies are not the only ones that benefit from good power.  Also, I have had some very, very expensive gear pass through my system (though nothing at 5 figures, unless you count transport-DACs as one component), and I have never heard anything that was unaffected by changes to the PC (... though not always for the better).

When I (finally!) get a high-end headphone rig, power will be the FIRST issue I address.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #16,132 of 24,807

Quote:
Pardon my stupid question, but what's the difference between the KGSSHV and the KGSS?

Taken from KG's post elsewhere:

"Its the high voltage version of the kgss with higher voltage pnp transistors, a cascode current source for the 3rd stage, the lsk389 part (or singles) and much higher voltage output transistors. The result is something that runs on +/-500 volt power supplies, and is as close as i know how to do to the T2. (except fully solid state, and easy to build) The transistors that go on the heatsinks are already insulated, which makes that part easy. Not a lot more money than an exstata, and much better sound."

The KGSSHV from what I've seen is the ultimate solid state electrostatic headphone amp. It's the Highlander, there can be only one. There are at least one or two other SS designs floating around that may be competitive with the original KGSS, but I think the HV will likely be king solid state for some time. The BHSE has competition, but Ray told me he isn't doing a solid state electrostat amp, and obviously Woo isn't going to do one. Unfortunately those looking to just go buy a HV are out of luck. Eventually somebody might produce one, but for now you will need to find a builder.

There are advantages to DIY anyway, you have your pick of most of the parts and can go much higher in quality than the typical OEM will. You can find the very best silver/gold/teflon caps, wiring and such in production components, but they'll have $20 grand price tags.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #16,133 of 24,807

Quote:
When I (finally!) get a high-end headphone rig, power will be the FIRST issue I address.

With Stax headphones and amps good power seems to be especially critical. The only time I've ever been bored when listening to my O2 Mk1 is when I had my amp and DAC which had just arrived in the mail hooked up with stock cords into a cheap power strip just to make sure they were working properly. When reviewers talk about how their systems become flat, or lifeless, or a veil over the sound after removing some high quality power component, that's what I experienced. With the right recording and good power, the O2 can fool me into thinking I'm sitting in the recording studio, and the instruments are live. They disappear as the sound source like a good mini-monitor. Take the good power away, and the sound is two dimensional headphone boredom, like a mediocre dynamic.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #16,134 of 24,807
It's such a shame to see the KGSS being discontinued as it offers a commercial energizer that is far better than most of STAX's offerings but priced within a reasonable limit. I hope HeadAmp will offer an alternative with the same mindset in the future. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #16,136 of 24,807
Hi all!

Just signed in to Head-fi. I`ve been looking for my first electrostatic system and I`ve been offered a set of 303 phones and SRM-310 amp. What do you guys think of the SRM-310? Can`t find basically no comments about the amp? The seller is asking 530€ (752 USD). Condition is very good including the original boxes, what do you think? I have read that proper amplification is crucial for Staxes. So I was thinking if I should first get a quality amp and then upgrade to better headphones if necessary? There is also a set of SRD-7SB and Stax SR-X MarkIII for sale for a lot less money. I could drive the SR-X with 100W class D Hypex amp. My budget is around 800€ (1134 USD), What do you think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you are willing to part from your Stax gear do let me know

-Jarno   

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #16,137 of 24,807

Quote:
So now should I buy the BHSE+O2 (8k) or 727A+009 (6k)?

We've had this question already, and the consensus was to go with the 009. You can't just get a BHSE - the wait is considerable, so you'd need to tack on another $900 or so for a SRM-323S while you wait. With the 009 you have a lot more choices, as the amping requirements don't seem to be nearly as strict. The same 323S would do the job, or you could try the 727, 007tII, or a GES.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #16,138 of 24,807
For those of you with Lambda Pros, does anyone have ideas on how the driver protection works? I removed the deteriorating foam inside the pads but I'm not sure how well the driver is protected from hair, dust, and other junk. There's the mesh screen which works against larger things but for smaller stuff, I'm not sure. Is the metal plate I see the stator, or is it some sort of protecting plate?

Pictures for reference:
http://imageshack.us/g/19/imag0096za.jpg/

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #16,139 of 24,807
I am wondering to know the difference between the GES and BHSE and which is more suitable for SR-507. Is 507 really need an 1.5K AMP like GES or SRM-600LTD? Or BHSE is really good enough for SR-507? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back