The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #14,581 of 24,807
Update on the 001 tips.

They were still sounding dark.  I went back to the stock tips and headband and confirmed the mids were recessed and the highs were rolled off.  Went to my fitting appointment and the audiologist shortened the tips about 1.5mm and flared the ends slightly.  That made a huge difference for the sound and improved the comfort even more.  But, the mids are still recessed and we think we know why, but I'm going to let my congested ears clear before making my final analysis.  However, I'm still going to have them remolded.  I paid $170 for two little pieces of plastic to fit the ends of my 001s, might as well get them perfect.  My audiologist said he felt there was a misunderstanding or assumptions made that caused the tips to look the way they do when mounted on the driver, with the driver flush to the side of my ear instead of being aimed down the ear canal as they do stock.  He felt they did that to hide the tip and make it more stealth.  I told him I don't really care if the whole damn tip is visible, I only care about a solid fit, a comfortable fit, and maintaining the stock sound signature when the driver was positioned correctly.  I really have no plans to wear these out in public per say.  The bend and the reduced ID kill the highs and recess the mids.  We're going to manipulate and use clay to reposition the driver where it should be in relation to my tips and have Starkey make the tip ID oval to match the Stax driver.  But the great part is that they can rescan my modded tips to get the new length of the inner ear section correct from the factory, so they will be the 1.5mm shorter from the start, and they can also shift the ID opening a bit in the tip as the right side was off by 2mm compared to the left.  Then the new tips get scanned again and stored at Starkey, so if I break, wear out, or lose a tip, they can run either one individually or as a set. 

So, I'm really glad I decided to pull the trigger and try it. I know we'll get the sound correct on the second attempt since we can mod them slightly in house if the sound is off a little again.  The improvement in comfort and the secure fit is just simply awesome.  I'll find out the material mine are made from.  I can highly recommend it.  It's very hard when you first go to insert them and they are cold.  This makes it much easier to put them in.  When they warm up the are much, much softer and they expand to seal off the ear canal.  They do not really add any isolation because the driver is open and the sound comes through, or leaks out, but for me that is a good thing.  Too much isolation or more closed sounding cups really compress the sound stage for me and the air is gone.  These tips keep that same air and nice soundstage of the stock setup.  Now I really can't wait to get the remolds back, upgrade to the new 003s when they are finally hitting the streets, and get my magnum opus 'stat amp built for them.  

I guess the best praise I can write is that these tips have shown me enough potential to deliver everything I wanted in the 001s such that I'm ready to mod my little amp and I've decided to hold off on LCD-2s. I don't have the gear lust for the LCD-2s now that I had even two months ago. I still love the sound of the LCD-2s, but the lust to own a set has dwindled significantly now. I just wish the iPhone 4 was a better source for the 001 amp. It runs out of oomph and I have to have the iPhone up to one click off full volume and the 001 amp is easily 70-85% of full rotation for normal enjoyable levels or listening. My Sony DAP does better at 55%-70%, but the Denon CDP straight into the 001 achieved acceptable levels of loud at 30%-50% of the range on the attenuator. So I think a Music Streamer II + or Pro will have to find it's way into my travel bag and I'll just buy a little Pelican case to hold everything in one waterproof, impact resistant box. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #14,582 of 24,807
Thanks for the update, BoilermakerFan!  I'm still interested in these tips.  Glad to hear there's a bit of progress but still seems there's a bit more problems to cover.

Personally I would wear these SR001, just probably cover it with some headphones for added isolation, I like them that much.  I just want to get another amp to take apart, do some of the mods and restuff into a better case before I carry this around.

I have had the same thing in regards to the LCD2 lust.  The recent acquisition of SRXmk3 Pro and the SR001 have definitely helped calm down my lust for a pair of LCD2.  If the comfort were improved without dropping the quality of the sound, I'd have hard time taking them out of my ears.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #14,583 of 24,807
Anyone have a spare post 1994 Lambda arc (headband + arc assembly) I can buy (in good condition)? So either Nova series or 2/3/40x series?
Broken/burned drivers, snapped cords, cat ate the cable, don't care, just want the arc :).

Giant SR-507 headache is not making me like the new headband. At all.

PM me a pic/offer with shipping to Melbourne/Australia.

p.s. spritzer, thanks for clarifying the suitable arcs.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #14,585 of 24,807
You could always sell your 507 and get a 407. Old arc and new driver. Win win for you.

that's my second option. I like this driver so far. I don't know if SR-407 has the same driver or not though. (same driver mount/holder and baffle, but not = same driver ... my mistake in the review there).

on the other hand, you do say SR-407 sounded more or less the same as 507... or what was the exact wording?

Originally Posted by
graben

/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are my impressions of the 307, 407, and 507

If you want the short version I bought the 507.

Long version

Take my impressions with a grain of salt as it was in a not totally quiet place. I went to my favorite Stax dealer here in Japan. I listened through a srm-600 and a srm-006TS, as well as a little on a 323s. I hated the 307 immediately, it sounded like a 404 and 303. In other words etch. The 407 and 507 were very close. Both sounded great with no etch at all. I felt there was more bass from the 507 also it felt a bit more detailed in transient notes. I would say if you are tight on money don't feel bad about the 407. It really is the best bang for the buck lambda and the sound quality is very similar to the 507. I have a small head ( I usually wore the old head band assembly as small as it would go) and the 507 feels great. My setting is 2 clicks above the smallest setting.

Compared to the SC1 and the LNS the 507 beats them both.

Well time to get back to my 507s...

hmmmm maybe not exactly the same driver or sound then. long story short - I'd rather get an old arc for now.

someone's gotta have one from fubar 2/3/40x series or nova that they've been meaning to get rid of.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #14,586 of 24,807

Quote:
Anyone have a spare post 1994 Lambda arc (headband + arc assembly) I can buy (in good condition)? So either Nova series or 2/3/40x series?
Broken/burned drivers, snapped cords, cat ate the cable, don't care, just want the arc
smily_headphones1.gif

Giant SR-507 headache is not making me like the new headband. At all.

PM me a pic/offer with shipping to Melbourne/Australia.

p.s. spritzer, thanks for clarifying the suitable arcs.

PM on it's way.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #14,588 of 24,807
How comfortable are the Stax 404?  Here are the headphones that I have owned listed from most comfortable to least:

HD-595
HD-650
AH-D2000
Beyer DT880
AKG 701

I currently own the 595 and 650.  The others were sold or returned due to their sound or comfort issues.  I am contemplating getting into the Stax world with a WEE and my HK receiver.  If I like the results, I can upgrade my receiver or buy a dedicated headphone amp.  But if my introductory headphones are not comfortable, it won't matter in the end.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #14,589 of 24,807
I would say very comfortable.  They have very large earpads so the phones do not press too hard. Total weight minus cord is 300-400 gm.  They have recently been replaced by the 407 and a 507 which by accounts to date seem to be an improvement sonically.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #14,590 of 24,807

Quote:
How comfortable are the Stax 404?  Here are the headphones that I have owned listed from most comfortable to least:

HD-595
HD-650
AH-D2000
Beyer DT880
AKG 701

I currently own the 595 and 650.  The others were sold or returned due to their sound or comfort issues.  I am contemplating getting into the Stax world with a WEE and my HK receiver.  If I like the results, I can upgrade my receiver or buy a dedicated headphone amp.  But if my introductory headphones are not comfortable, it won't matter in the end.

Personally, I would skip the WEE.  It uses very cheap jacks that aren't quite to the Stax size, but close enough.  Both jacks are Pro bias only yet the center pin is not plugged so a Normal bias headphone could be plugged in on accident.  You can buy a SRD7 for far less money used and mod it to be much better performer than the WEE.  If you aren't up to the mods, there are a few peeps around and in this thread who can easily do that for you. 

I had K601s and K401s and thought they were very comfortable.  I sold my K401s because my SR-Lambdas had a similar sound sig with more extended highs and the speed of a 'stat is just addicting.  The Lambdas are just a little heavier than the K401s, but the headband has a better fit so they stay in position better and feel lighter on the ears since they don't droop.

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #14,592 of 24,807
hey guys, i kinda have a problem. i turned on my t1s this morning and a flash appeared below the unit.  opened it up and looked inside but no burned parts...

thing is, the right channel is  now really soft and distorts horribly if i turn it up. anyone know the possible cause?

i ran the amp and looked at the insides, no spark gaps visible. is it a blown cap?

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #14,593 of 24,807
hey guys, i kinda have a problem. i turned on my t1s this morning and a flash appeared below the unit.  opened it up and looked inside but no burned parts...

thing is, the right channel is  now really soft and distorts horribly if i turn it up. anyone know the possible cause?

i ran the amp and looked at the insides, no spark gaps visible. is it a blown cap?

does it happen to have two tubes?
...say, one per channel?

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #14,594 of 24,807
You have to check underneath the PCB as that's where most of the resistors are.  First one to check is R20 as that is the tube cathode resistor.  If that is blown then the tube is fubar and the offset pot might also be toast. 

Edit:  The resistors are marked on top of the PCB even though they are mounted on the bottom.  Also, don't use the amp like this!!!!!

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #14,595 of 24,807

Quote:
You have to check underneath the PCB as that's where most of the resistors are.  First one to check is R20 as that is the tube cathode resistor.  If that is blown then the tube is fubar and the offset pot might also be toast.

R20 looks to be ok on both sides...by ok i mean its not black or anything, looks fine. the offset pots also look ok. i dont think the tube is fubar as i changed the tubes and the 2nd one still had the same problem.

Quote:
Edit:  The resistors are marked on top of the PCB even though they are mounted on the bottom.  Also, don't use the amp like this!!!!!

ah yes i stopped using the amp when i heard the distortion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back