The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #14,596 of 24,807
Crosspost, but this thread is very much more active than anything else here:

Since I want to purchase either a SRS-2050 or SRS-2170 set, what are the full electrical specifications of the adaptor required? That's the adaptor for the SRM-252 (A or S)

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #14,599 of 24,807
Thanks very much. Do you also happen to know the dimensions of the plug?

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #14,600 of 24,807
Thanks very much. Do you also happen to know the dimensions of the plug?

lol. please use search.

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=srm252+power
http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=srm-252a+power

(the first found article would've had all the info incl plug dimensions and v/a rating) hmmm or not . anyway - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/441597/stax-basic-system-power-adaptor-eu#post_6039749

Do any of the resistors look discolored? It's a bit hard to see with those SMD units. Also look at the large plate resistors and if any of the capacitors are disfigured in any way.

maybe get him to measure it in the circuit for the approx value with a multimeter? (or SMD as in the really tiny ones?)

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #14,601 of 24,807
yeah i checked all the resistors, the big blue ones and the small  smd ones. none of them look discolored in any way(besides dust i think).  not sure about the caps though, the smaller ones look ok. could it be some sort of  spark gap formed between traces?

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #14,603 of 24,807
Hello, I wonder if anyone would like to provide some insight onto what Stax they like for things like Ambient music and Goa? I've heard the O2s and the Lambda Sig. I loved the O2s bass, but found the tone a little smooth. The lambda sig was great but I am having a little trouble tracking down a pair at the moment. Does anyone in this thread listen to this type of music? If so, do you have a personal favourite from the stax lineup for them?

I've PM'd a few users for feedback, but figure I might as well post here.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #14,604 of 24,807

Quote:
Hello, I wonder if anyone would like to provide some insight onto what Stax they like for things like Ambient music and Goa? I've heard the O2s and the Lambda Sig. I loved the O2s bass, but found the tone a little smooth. The lambda sig was great but I am having a little trouble tracking down a pair at the moment. Does anyone in this thread listen to this type of music? If so, do you have a personal favourite from the stax lineup for them?

If you're looking for that kind of visceral impact, I think the Stax is not for you. They do make this up with their delicate fidelity though.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #14,605 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

If you're looking for that kind of visceral impact, I think the Stax is not for you. They do make this up with their delicate fidelity though.

In my opinion the bass impact from Stax headphones is quite satisfactory.

@Mr Green: I may have mentioned this in my PMs, but most Stax headphones are great. You've only been looking for less than a week so if you're keen on a pair of Lambda Sigs dont give up; they pop up all the time on places like yahoo Japan, ebay, etc. Just keep lurking and you'll find them for sale.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #14,606 of 24,807

I'm not looking for visceral impact at all. In fact, the rather poor impact (IMO) of the Omega is preferable, however I do not like the darkness. I also found the Lambda Sigs bass very good and impactful.

For some perspective, I'm coming here with a long-time love for Etymotic canalphones - which have virtually zero impact. For some other perspective - I hate the tonal presentation of say, HD650 and LCD-2. I don't mind the O2s, but would prefer more treble (like the sig).

Just curious if theres anything else I should be looking at (like a 202).

@jjinh, indeed. I am still looking for a pair of sigs (SR202 as well).

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #14,607 of 24,807
What's powering the omegas?  I think I said something similar when I heard the o2 for the first time out of a stock 717.

I gave them another shot with a kgss and it made a huge difference in terms of being "dark" and a little smooth.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #14,608 of 24,807

Quote:
What's powering the omegas?  I think I said something similar when I heard the o2 for the first time out of a stock 717.

I gave them another shot with a kgss and it made a huge difference in terms of being "dark" and a little smooth.S

Some guys DIY amp. I think it was called a HiAmp. IMO the headphone was merely smooth as well, however I'm personally not looking for a smooth headphone.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #14,609 of 24,807
Wish I had more experiences for you, but all I can say is that what you describe really sounds like me only a few months ago.  I'm not of that same mindset anymore though!!  If by smooth you mean that I can listen without fatigue yet still have the ability to really focus on the music and ridiculous amount of detail then I'm all for it.

I have not heard any other staxes sadly but I believe most of them have easier amping requirements than the omegas.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #14,610 of 24,807

Quote:
Mr.Sneis said:
Wish I had more experiences for you, but all I can say is that what you describe really sounds like me only a few months ago.  I'm not of that same mindset anymore though!!  If by smooth you mean that I can listen without fatigue yet still have the ability to really focus on the music and ridiculous amount of detail then I'm all for it.

I have not heard any other staxes sadly but I believe most of them have easier amping requirements than the omegas.

/img/forum/go_quote.gif
More or less. Personally, I have no problem with bright headphones. I actually prefer them (I preferred the lambda sig to the O2 in my brief encounter despite some lower refinement because of the frequency response).

For the record, I'm also interested in seeing what sigma pros are like for these genres, but have no way to actually experience them. Are there any users around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back