The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #13,201 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still amazed by what my main filter has done to my stax setup. Those who are still using cheap power distributors should change to a good audio grade ones. Its definately not a placebo effect I swear.
bigsmile_face.gif

In what ways is it better now?

May 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #13,202 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but I would go as far as to say the 404LE is VERY polite in the highs. I'd say the 404LE highs were closer to the O2 Mk2 or HD600 than another Lambda (or at least with my GES amp, as I didn't have the WES till after I sold the LE).
eek.gif

I haven't heard the SR-202/303/404 yet, so I can't compare to those. I really would like to hear an SR-202 on my WES, since I have read it's also polite in the highs. Have you compared a 202 to the SR-Lambda normal bias or the 404LE?

I remember donunus saying the same thing about his 202. He even found the treble recessed compared to his HD600
eek.gif
I think it's a common misunderstanding about stats, to me they sound nowhere near as agressive as say DT880.

May 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #13,203 of 24,807
IIRC the 202s had quite a rolled-off treble, but I don't feel my 404LEs do at all, nor my LNS, nothing like the O2s when driven from a Stax amp. However, the 404LE have somewhat forward mids, so it might be easy to get this impression.

May 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #13,204 of 24,807
Hey guys, I'm looking to get into stax, I had originally planned to purchase a pair of 404le's as a starting point, but I've read testimony that states that the O2s are well worth saving that bit extra for.

Has anyone who has heard both chimed in?

Also for those that have the 404le's how good are that at resolving detail compared to the O2s or even the hd800.

May 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #13,205 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm looking to get into stax, I had originally planned to purchase a pair of 404le's as a starting point, but I've read testimony that states that the O2s are well worth saving that bit extra for.

Has anyone who has heard both chimed in?

Also for those that have the 404le's how good are that at resolving detail compared to the O2s or even the hd800.

I wouldn't call it a bit extra, Woo Audio - STAX SR-007MK2 Electrostatic Earspearkers, vs Woo Audio - STAX SR-404 Signature Open-Back Electrostatic Earspearkers, granted the LE is a little more, but it's still like 3 times the price.
Is it really that much better?

I would be more curious if the 404/404le is better than the 202.
Should you get a 202 then get a O2, or is a 404 good enough?

Or just a good idea of how they all sound.

May 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #13,207 of 24,807
The 404LE is a great headphone, but in side by side comparisons my O2 Mk1 were better. The 404LE would not get as much ear time as my O2 Mk1, so I had to let them go to raise funds for my WES amp.

May 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #13,208 of 24,807
Anyone need an imbalanced pair of Lambda Sigs?

I recently got a pair of Lambda Sigs, and while they sound great, they have some channel imbalance issues. With a Stax amp, I'm able to compensate the channel imbalance, but because I switch phones so often, it's a bit of a hassle so I'm gonna let 'em go for a price to fund a DAC, maybe a little more than half the market value?

You can either do what I did and use a Stax amp to compensate for the imbalance, or if you have another imbalanced Lambda Sig, take two of the good drivers and put them together.

May 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #13,211 of 24,807
Hello there,

I'm really interested to get in the Stax family, but still hesitate about the good System.
Since I'm kinda Basshead (but not only), I can forget any open can's if I want the slam impact in low-end.

So Im thinking about the 4070.
Do you think the 727 unit would be a good match ?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #13,213 of 24,807

Quote:
Hello there,

I'm really interested to get in the Stax family, but still hesitate about the good System.
Since I'm kinda Basshead (but not only), I can forget any open can's if I want the slam impact in low-end.

So Im thinking about the 4070.
Do you think the 727 unit would be a good match ?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The 4070 renders bass with perfect quality, body and precision but it will never put more bass than what a recording has, they are monitors, so they are there to reveal the music in the medium and NOT to put or add colors to it. So in this regard Im not sure if I would consider them suitable for a "basshead." Actually I dont think any STAX would be fitted to a "basshead." Saying this, I am convinced that both the 4070 and the O2 have the best bass render I know of from ANY headphone.

For Amp, my Woo Audio GES Maxed does a great job with the 4070's. Before I got it I tried the available STAX amps including the 727.

May 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #13,214 of 24,807

Quote:
Whats the consensus on the SRM-600? How does it compare to other Stax amps? I realize it was most likely designed to pair with the 404LE but how well would it drive the O2? Does anyone have any listening experience with this combo?

We were on holidays in Japan for past fews which gave me the opportunity to visit to a famous audio store in Tokyo (dynamic-audio 5555) which carries a large selection of headphone gear among other ultra expensive audiophile equipment. They have dedicated a room for listening to high end headphones, among which the stax offerings, and top of the line of all manufacturers. The source is of very good quality: Luxman D-06 and the dynamics amps also (Luxman p1u, phonitor).

My first visit was to compare Beyerdynamic T-1 to my Sennheiser HD800, which turned in favor of my current headphones on that particular rig so my wallet was happy on that day. Then, for an unknown reason, I went back some time later with my own HD800 (recabled and modded with foam to kill spurious reflections in the earcup) and made the mistake to also listen to Stax Omega 2 (mkII model) fed by the tops amps of the range (SRM-007t mkII and SRM-727 mkII) connected to the same Luxman CD/SACD player.

From there, it went downhill for my wallet. I am not sure if its the new series that fit my taste or the excellent source but this time, I got mightily impressed with the Stax gear. I had listened to the mkI / previous Stax amps on number of occasions at the same and other stores but never got too excited about it (the source was always of average quality at best though).

But this time, I realized how much Stax got it right... While the HD800 was sounding really excellent through the p1u, the Stax Omega was simply so much more natural / realistic / pleasant / attractive when fed by the SRM-727a amp. In particular, the 3D layer is so much more precise as well as total lack of graininess of the highs. The cymbals shimmer through the Omega 2 is no match for the HD800 when fed by the p1u, I was shocked.

So shocked that ... I went back there again today to listen exclusively to the Stax gear, comparing the different amps with the same Omega 2. I quickly gravitated toward the SRM-727a because:
  • It sounds more dynamics than the SRM-007ta
  • The treble of Omega 2 mkII headphones appears a tiny bit edgy / forward on the SRM-007ta while it sounds just right on the SRM-727a
  • The bass is significantly tighter / more resolved & controlled on the SRM-727a

Then, I compared the SRM-727a to the SRM-600 even though it's actually recommended for the Lamda series rather than Omega. Well, while I was originally attracted by the apparent dynamics / treble extension of the SRM-600, it turned it was just more of the same "issues" as the SRM-007ta when driving the Omega2: a bit hot treble and severe lack of control of the bass notes. One track that I remember sounding completely messed up on both tube amps but right on the SS amp was "S.O.S Mir" by Henri Texier sextet. It's just one jazz tune loaded with bass and baryton saxophon. There were many other examples, but I should point out I mainly listened to Jazz and acoustic pop/folk music.

The SRM-727a amp has 450V of drive capability vs. 340V for SRM-007ta as well as the SRM-600. It may thus be possible that it's the same old trouble with the Omega 2, they need serious power to be properly controlled. I was listening at noon/1PM on all these amps. Also, they were all fed by balanced output of the Luxman D-06 player.

At the end of the day, I actually placed an order for the SR-007a / SRM-727a setup, I am now joining club Stax after so many years of being a hardcore dynamic headphone guy, what a shock! For sure, I am keeping my HD800 and Lehman amplifier though. The Stax combo works best with Jazz / Classical / "soft" music but I am pretty sure I will want to listen to my HD800 at times I want punch over delicacy. As for my Edition 9, it may be time to go...

As for the mkI sounding much better than mkII, I was not able to compare and thus cannot make a judgement. However, as I said, this is the first time Stax gear wins me over so I might be one of the few that might actually prefer the new versions... I have to say also that what got me sold is the SR-007a/SRM-727a pairing, not the others. In particular, I just could not detect any mid-bass hump / funky upper midrange with that pairing. I am thus wondering if the SR-007a is just not tuned for the Stax amps, and does not sound so good with KGSS like the mkI did?

That is all for now...

arnaud 

May 6, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #13,215 of 24,807
Sounds like the Stax recruiting continues in high gear.  I started reading this thread about a month ago and pulled the trigger on the basic system (SRM-252A/SR-202) about two weeks ago.  I have been traveling and had family in town so had limited time to listen.  So far I am really impressed.  I want to live with these for a while to really get to know them but right now all indications are that I will convert to Stax completely.

I have found much of the commentary here to be similar to my impressions.  I have now listened to enough music to have an initial impression and can tell you that I will be listening to a lot more classical!

Strengths - I have found that drums in particular are far more realistic than my HF2 or ESW9.  And classical music is just fabulous.  I cannot stop listening to my hi-res classical recordings.  They are also very airy and completely non-fatiguing.  When I take them off after listening I do not have the adjustment period that I have with other phones.  They also sound great at low volumes which I tend to listen.

Not sure items - I find that with some music they do strike me as bass shy.  I have also noticed a little haziness on the trailing edge of some female vocals (which I think are well recorded).  Still trying to figure that one out.

General comments - My Wavelength Proton seems to be a decent match for these but still experimenting with different genres and recordings.  I do find myself gravitating to the music which sounds good on these.  In particular, I have completely rediscovered my classical collection.  As has been stated many times, these seem to be really picky about all aspects of the source (quality of original recording, file resolution, dac, etc.)

All in all I am really thrilled.  My wallet is already screaming about the next steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back