The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #13,006 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

have you heard of any other headphones being used as a microphone??

Actually no...

I thought condenser microphones had the same characteristics (a capacitor). I was actually imagining recording and reproducing with the same transducers exactly at the same position. I think no studio would be interested in selling such recording. I would like to record that way though, for my own and only delight. Just that...

What I really wanted to know is the consequence of using phantom power (48V, while bias during reproduction is higher ~500v), how to do the connections to a balanced microphone pre-amp etc. Main concern is that the space between the stators may differ when we need to record. Just want to know if it is feasible to record as it is.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #13,007 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any 60/40 solder should slow well enough to make a perfect joint if you know how to use it. The Cardas stuff is good but I can get the same results from any silver bearing solder. Personally I use Kester since I got a bunch of it at a decent price and it is very fine (as in gauge) like the 250gr. WBT spools.

I have a 250g WBT spool right here and it is indeed the same diameter - 0.8mm it says - as the Cardas Quad Eutectic.

I also have in my hand an example of your soldering and you are way better than I am. While you could probably get a good solder joint using bullets melted in tin cans, we less talented solder sniffers benefit greatly from using eutectic solders. They are nearly goof proof. I also tend to believe Mr. Cardas about them yielding a better quality joint than 60/40, everything else being equal.

Clark

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #13,008 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 250g WBT spool right here and it is indeed the same diameter - 0.8mm it says - as the Cardas Quad Eutectic.

I also have in my hand an example of your soldering and you are way better than I am. While you could probably get a good solder joint using bullets melted in tin cans, we less talented solder sniffers benefit greatly from using eutectic solders. They are nearly goof proof. I also tend to believe Mr. Cardas about them yielding a better quality joint than 60/40, everything else being equal.

Clark

Ahh I must have had a thicker version of the Cardas as it was 1+mm.

I was soldering about 20 boards at a time and since it is a PSU, not being as obsessive about the perfect joint as I'm with amplifier boards.
redface.gif
That said the Cardas solder does have benefits where the parts can move since there is no "slushy" middle stage. Holding a hot wire calmly while the solder settles takes a steady hand and some tolerance for pain.
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #13,009 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

have you heard of any other headphones being used as a microphone??

It's possible to use dynamics as microphones (iBuds are even worse as microphones than as earbuds though
tongue.gif
).

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #13,010 of 24,807
Hey guys, advice needed...
So, I went ahead and purchased the 3050ii system when I was in Osaka last week. I'm honestly ecstatic abut them (no "electro" static jokes, please! I already thought of them!) My source is my computer fed by usb into the headroom total bithead and connected to the srm-323 by a y-cable. I'm guessing that's my weak link, right?... I know that's probably a crime... So can you not throw me in prison and instead, help me if I'm willing to rectify my bad deed? I can't throw down a 1000 dollars on a new source. I'm thinking the 500 dollar range. The general consensus is that the stax are very sensitive to source, so I'm hoping I can gather a general consensus on what's going to "work." Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #13,013 of 24,807
Are you registered with Yahoo Auctions? I forgot. Occasionally some great sources show up there. For new, I'm going to suggest the Audio-gd DAC19, which fits your budget and which I'd take over your Benchmarks and Lavrys. I'm sure other people will suggest from their own experience as usual.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #13,014 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer posted:-
Icelandic, Danish (and thus Swedish and Norwegian), German and English. .

It is a well known fact that us antipodeans all are bilingual.
Our two main languages are English and obscene, and most are more fluent in the latter than the former - to our great shame.
We inherit the worst of both the Yanks and Old Blightey.
Anyone resorting to obscenities usually is showing off their lack of moral good taste or a decided lack of the grasp of English to express themselves, and thus resorting to unsavoury expletives in place of true colourful adjectives to enhance their prosaic verbal communications.

Strewth! They don't speak Strine anymore downunder?

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #13,015 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you registered with Yahoo Auctions? I forgot. Occasionally some great sources show up there. For new, I'm going to suggest the Audio-gd DAC19, which fits your budget and which I'd take over your Benchmarks and Lavrys. I'm sure other people will suggest from their own experience as usual.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Currawong. Im not yet registered with yahoo auctions in japan, but i've been browsing and seeing some great prices on the usually way overpriced export items in japan. I was eying the dac19 because it's right in my price range, but of course I don't want to choose something solely based on price... Also, what is your opinion of the t1? Right now they're selling one on yahoo auctions for 30,000 yen. Is that a good deal?

Thanks a bunch!

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #13,016 of 24,807
Well, the 404le type leather pads came in today. I put them on the sr-202's. Warmer sound and less sweat.
I still don't know if the sound is because of
A:thinner pad/ear closer to driver
B:the leather material helps the low end
C:the cloth over the driver area doesn't pass as many highs as the foam.

I put them on the 202's rather than the 404's because I'm thinking about keeping them and selling the 404's.
Either way, both sets sound much better on the exstata. I suspect all the above to have effect on the sound.
There will have to be a better set of cans from the Stax lineup purchased at some point if my second son
EVER finishes college!

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #13,017 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will have to be a better set of cans from the Stax lineup purchased at some point if my second son
EVER finishes college!

LOL. I am on the same boat. 2 in college, one finishing high school in 2 months. I am paying for the full tuition myself so they don't have any loans.
Very expensive, otherwise I would have already bought me a Blue Hawaii and O2's. Oh well..... at least 4 more years. Then weddings and who knows what else.... house is more than 2/3's paid for though...
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #13,018 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PianoForte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Currawong. Im not yet registered with yahoo auctions in japan, but i've been browsing and seeing some great prices on the usually way overpriced export items in japan. I was eying the dac19 because it's right in my price range, but of course I don't want to choose something solely based on price... Also, what is your opinion of the t1? Right now they're selling one on yahoo auctions for 30,000 yen. Is that a good deal?

Thanks a bunch!

For 30k-yen, the T1 is a great bargain IMO. I'm using the T1S (it has balanced input) with Lambda Nova Signatures and it's pretty good.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #13,019 of 24,807
Quote:

So, I went ahead and purchased the 3050ii system when I was in Osaka last week. I'm honestly ecstatic abut them (no "electro" static jokes, please! I already thought of them!) My source is my computer fed by usb into the headroom total bithead and connected to the srm-323 by a y-cable. I'm guessing that's my weak link, right?... I know that's probably a crime... So can you not throw me in prison and instead, help me if I'm willing to rectify my bad deed? I can't throw down a 1000 dollars on a new source. I'm thinking the 500 dollar range. The general consensus is that the stax are very sensitive to source, so I'm hoping I can gather a general consensus on what's going to "work." Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

You could look at the Pico DAC only, or IBasso D4 or D10, or if you'd like 24/96 USB DAC you could look at the Centrance DACport which works quite well as a preamp into Stax amps, or consider the Nuforce HDP. The D10 and HDP will also do optical and coax. The Headroom Micro DAC is another one to consider, but some people complain about the USB having more jitter than others (e.g. antonyfirst). If you have a Mac with firewire an Apogee Duet would be another consideration. I have reviews on some of this stuff, see my sig line to find links.

I have tried most of these DACs to feed a Woo GES or eXStatA electrostatic amp, and they are very detailed and transparent sounding and a good value for under $500. The DACport and Apogee will be a little warmer sounding than the others, and might complement the SR-303 more since it's a nice match for my HE60, but I can't say for sure. I would pick one of the others when using my SR-007 or an SR-404LE, but they should also be fine for your rig.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #13,020 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks a lot!

Are you using your MacBook Pro? If so, I recommend switching to the optical out and finding a Parasound 1100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back