The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #11,867 of 24,807
It looks like those are Signatures. The headband and earcups are definitely what the Signatures use, but it looks like the pads are black. What color is the cable? Black or dark brown? That should tell you enough to confirm whether they are Signatures or not.

I'm a big fan of the Signature/T1 combo. I actually just posted about this the other day here. Based on your impressions, I think you'll definitely become a stat kinda guy. Always a good thing in my book.
wink.gif
Have fun with your rig!

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #11,869 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not. I'm so sorry. Hopefully you'll find yourself a proper pair before too long.

I'm not sure...

One of the things I didn't like about the Lambda's was the fact that they were ever so slightly boring. They just didn't really make my toe tap.

Grado's are notoriously fun, so I'm hoping the HF2's are a better fit.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #11,870 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you shouldn't smell any burning from any amp. Open up the T1, clean out the dust that always accumulates and check for any discolorations.

i opened it up, but didn't really see any major discolorations. it was actually pretty clean inside with very little dust. here are the shots of the inside:

img0315ef.jpg

img0317o.jpg

img0319t.jpg

i cleaned it with a dust blower, reseated the tubes and cleaned the pins using deoxit. turned it on and the smell seems to be coming from the front where the tubes are. don't see anything funny though like sparks or smoke, my guess is that the smell is coming from those tube socks getting hot from the tubes.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #11,872 of 24,807
Lambda Signature / Lambda Pro comparison
-------------------------------------------------

I've spent some quality time with both headphones in the past week and I wanted to write down a couple of observations. The setup I'm using is the one in my signature, which is far from being high-end, but I feel it's pretty good at bang for buck compared to some rigs I've heard in the past. I'm using the Denon DA-500 over the Pico right now because I still need to buy a mini to RCA cable to connect the Pico to my amp.

A few things before I start. First, the pads on the Lambda Pro are still big and fluffy while the ones on the Signature are much thinner, but still in good shape. I don't know if that would make a huge difference, I leave that to Stax experts to decide. Previous Stax headphones I've heard or owned: SR-202, SR-404, SR-Gamma, SR-001 and SR-007, and I've owned another pair of Lambda Signature at one point.

I used a couple of my favourite "testing" CDs:

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (original ATCO)
Opeth - Damnation
Fritz Reiner/CSO - Pines of Rome by Respighi and La Mer by Debussy (Living Stereo)
Camel - A Nod and a Wink
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Toshiba Black Triangle)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

The first thing I noted after listening to both headphones back to back is that there isn't a world of difference between the two, you can easily tell they're from the same family. I'd say they're much closer in sound than, let's say, a HD600 and HD650. Still, there are enough substantial differences to identify which is which and even though I haven't done a DBT (and don't plan to), I'm fairly confident anyone here could hear the differences. I'll divide my impressions in a few categories to try to put coherency in my poor English writing skills.

Details
--------

Showing off details is a category where the Signature truly outshines the Pros. The Sigs are excellent at extracting micro-details from the music and I can hear some small things like soft cymbal hits that I barely get on the Pros. On the other hand, I find that the way the Sigs present details sometimes detract me from the music, while the Pros are a little bit better at presenting the whole portrait and not just focusing on details. The Pros sound "fuller", especially with rock music while the Sigs can sound quite thin at times, but the trade-off is that the Pros sometime put fog on small things I'm used to hear.

Dynamics
-----------

That's another category where I feel the Lambda Signature is superior to the Pro. It's quite easy to hear the difference while listening to Respighi's Pines of Rome. I'm not sure how to put that in words, but I think the contrast I hear in terms of dynamics is due to the more sparkly treble of the Signature and its slightly deeper bass. It's not to say that the Pro isn't dynamic, but I just feel its presentation is a bit more dull and less lively than the Sigs. With that said, on recordings with spiky treble, the Sigs can sound quite aggressive while the Pros tame this spikiness a bit.

Also, the Sigs sound more impactful to me than the Pros which is quite apparent when focusing on drums. The snare sounds tight as it should and the cymbals have just the right amount of "splashiness". The Pros are not bad, but they sound slightly unnatural to me in that aspect.

Frequency response
----------------------

Starting with the bass, the Sigs go slightly lower than the Pros. Also, the Signature's bass is tighter and it's easier to pick the notes individually. The Pros blurry the bass definition a bit and it's harder to hear the string "clacks" of a contrabass or just to get the "bounciness" of a bass guitar. I bet using a proper Stax amp could cure a part of this problem, because each of the SRD-7 setups I've heard in the past always had lesser bass quality compared to setups featuring electrostatic amps.

For the midrange, I'd say both are pretty similar, but as I said earlier the Sigs sound more lively. Both of these cans are not particularly great at reproducing mids IMO, at least compared to other electrostats like the SR-001 and SR-007. They sound a bit thin for the lack of a better word and they fail at reproducing the richness male and female vocals can have, though I think they're a bit better with female vocals.

Treble-wise, the Sigs shine once again, the presentation is more "crisp" and sparkly while the Pros sound almost rolled-off by comparison. To be honest, the Sigs are one the best headphones I've heard in terms of treble reproduction, with the counterpart that poor recordings sound really poor and shouty.

Soundstage
-------------

I've always liked the Lambda series soundstage since the first time I heard a SR-404. They sound very open with a wide presentation from the far left to the far right. Compared to what I remember from the SR-007, the Lambdas have a wider soundstage, but it's harder to pinpoint the instruments in space with precision, something that the O2 mastered perfectly. Still, it's hard to dislike the air and sense of space given by the Lambdas. For what it's worth, I don't hear any significative difference between the Pros and the Sigs for that aspect.

Conclusion
------------

As a monitor or when listening to well-recorded music, I'd use the Sigs hands down, but when confronted to poorly-recorded rock or jazz music, the Pros can offer a more forgiving and perhaps more "fun" sound. They're both good cans, but to my ears the Lambda Signature is the superior one. If I could associate one general characteristic with each phone, I'd say the Lambda Pro are more "round" while the Signature are more "precise". In the end, it goes down to what each user prefers.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #11,874 of 24,807
Thanks for the impressions. I have never heard the signatures and it is likely I will try to acquire a pair, since there are many on the forum who find them superior to the pros.

The pros have been my favorite stax phone of 3 I own (also own 303s and
5nbgolds (snbgolds. cant remember), but this summer I acquired a pair of basic lambdas. They're pretty old but perform beautifully and they have become the new faves. I cant be very specific as to why but they just sound more "natural" than the other lambdas I have. I beathe a "sigh of recognition" every time I put them on, no matter the music (dont listen to rock much), and even if I am really enjoying the other earphones. Like the good gets better. I use a 007t amp with them.

If the older lambdas weren't so satisfying to me, I'd have bought Omegas by now.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11,875 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's something new, I've never seen a T1 like that. Most have only 1 transformer and a very different layout. What is the serial number on this one?

looks like a B series. serial #: B 4358

it could be modded, but i'm not sure. there's these O2 blocker stickers on them and written on the inside. gonna contact the seller to confirm.

gp_hebert, thanks for the comparison. i'm very happy with the Signature. i agree that it has a very lively presentation to them. though, sometimes i wish there was more mids or that they were more forward (especially for vocals). i do like them the way they are though because they sound more realistic and gives a more perceived sense of where the singer is placed. i hear that the normal Lambda is better in this regard or perhaps the ESP950, since it's considered a "Lambda on steroids".

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #11,876 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lambda Signature / Lambda Pro comparison
-------------------------------------------------

I've spent some quality time with both headphones in the past week and I wanted to write down a couple of observations. The setup I'm using is the one in my signature, which is far from being high-end, but I feel it's pretty good at bang for buck compared to some rigs I've heard in the past. I'm using the Denon DA-500 over the Pico right now because I still need to buy a mini to RCA cable to connect the Pico to my amp.

A few things before I start. First, the pads on the Lambda Pro are still big and fluffy while the ones on the Signature are much thinner, but still in good shape. I don't know if that would make a huge difference, I leave that to Stax experts to decide. Previous Stax headphones I've heard or owned: SR-202, SR-404, SR-Gamma, SR-001 and SR-007, and I've owned another pair of Lambda Signature at one point.

I used a couple of my favourite "testing" CDs:

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail (original ATCO)
Opeth - Damnation
Fritz Reiner/CSO - Pines of Rome by Respighi and La Mer by Debussy (Living Stereo)
Camel - A Nod and a Wink
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Toshiba Black Triangle)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

The first thing I noted after listening to both headphones back to back is that there isn't a world of difference between the two, you can easily tell they're from the same family. I'd say they're much closer in sound than, let's say, a HD600 and HD650. Still, there are enough substantial differences to identify which is which and even though I haven't done a DBT (and don't plan to), I'm fairly confident anyone here could hear the differences. I'll divide my impressions in a few categories to try to put coherency in my poor English writing skills.

Details
--------

Showing off details is a category where the Signature truly outshines the Pros. The Sigs are excellent at extracting micro-details from the music and I can hear some small things like soft cymbal hits that I barely get on the Pros. On the other hand, I find that the way the Sigs present details sometimes detract me from the music, while the Pros are a little bit better at presenting the whole portrait and not just focusing on details. The Pros sound "fuller", especially with rock music while the Sigs can sound quite thin at times, but the trade-off is that the Pros sometime put fog on small things I'm used to hear.

Dynamics
-----------

That's another category where I feel the Lambda Signature is superior to the Pro. It's quite easy to hear the difference while listening to Respighi's Pines of Rome. I'm not sure how to put that in words, but I think the contrast I hear in terms of dynamics is due to the more sparkly treble of the Signature and its slightly deeper bass. It's not to say that the Pro isn't dynamic, but I just feel its presentation is a bit more dull and less lively than the Sigs. With that said, on recordings with spiky treble, the Sigs can sound quite aggressive while the Pros tame this spikiness a bit.

Also, the Sigs sound more impactful to me than the Pros which is quite apparent when focusing on drums. The snare sounds tight as it should and the cymbals have just the right amount of "splashiness". The Pros are not bad, but they sound slightly unnatural to me in that aspect.

Frequency response
----------------------

Starting with the bass, the Sigs go slightly lower than the Pros. Also, the Signature's bass is tighter and it's easier to pick the notes individually. The Pros blurry the bass definition a bit and it's harder to hear the string "clacks" of a contrabass or just to get the "bounciness" of a bass guitar. I bet using a proper Stax amp could cure a part of this problem, because each of the SRD-7 setups I've heard in the past always had lesser bass quality compared to setups featuring electrostatic amps.

For the midrange, I'd say both are pretty similar, but as I said earlier the Sigs sound more lively. Both of these cans are not particularly great at reproducing mids IMO, at least compared to other electrostats like the SR-001 and SR-007. They sound a bit thin for the lack of a better word and they fail at reproducing the richness male and female vocals can have, though I think they're a bit better with female vocals.

Treble-wise, the Sigs shine once again, the presentation is more "crisp" and sparkly while the Pros sound almost rolled-off by comparison. To be honest, the Sigs are one the best headphones I've heard in terms of treble reproduction, with the counterpart that poor recordings sound really poor and shouty.

Soundstage
-------------

I've always liked the Lambda series soundstage since the first time I heard a SR-404. They sound very open with a wide presentation from the far left to the far right. Compared to what I remember from the SR-007, the Lambdas have a wider soundstage, but it's harder to pinpoint the instruments in space with precision, something that the O2 mastered perfectly. Still, it's hard to dislike the air and sense of space given by the Lambdas. For what it's worth, I don't hear any significative difference between the Pros and the Sigs for that aspect.

Conclusion
------------

As a monitor or when listening to well-recorded music, I'd use the Sigs hands down, but when confronted to poorly-recorded rock or jazz music, the Pros can offer a more forgiving and perhaps more "fun" sound. They're both good cans, but to my ears the Lambda Signature is the superior one. If I could associate one general characteristic with each phone, I'd say the Lambda Pro are more "round" while the Signature are more "precise". In the end, it goes down to what each user prefers.

Bonjour mon confrere Canadien!

Your impressions seem similar to what I heard when I compared the sigs with a Lambda Classic Nova which is probably more like the Pro. The Nova had a nice tonal balance whereas the Signas were open and detailed but sucked out in the middle and somewhat tizzy at the top. I would like to see a thread on Lambda reviews especially where one or more of the dozen plus Lambdas are compared directly with others. It might be nice if you wanted to add your review to this other comparison.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s...lassic-430113/

Since I did that report I also tried replacing the back foam on my Sigs, decided I didn't like the sound at all and yanked all the remaining back foam off both it and the 404.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s...ambdas-443060/

I think both phones benefit greatly from taking the back foam out. I haven't tried the Nova yet because these are up for sale.

It's interesting comparing the foamless Lambdas with the 007. I don't see any foam on the back side of my 007A drivers. Nor do I believe there is any on the HE90 or Jade which I have only heard briefly.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11,877 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conclusion
------------

Good description. If you want to combine the best of both you get a LNS.
icon10.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #11,878 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like a B series. serial #: B 4358

it could be modded, but i'm not sure. there's these O2 blocker stickers on them and written on the inside. gonna contact the seller to confirm.

gp_hebert, thanks for the comparison. i'm very happy with the Signature. i agree that it has a very lively presentation to them. though, sometimes i wish there was more mids or that they were more forward (especially for vocals). i do like them the way they are though because they sound more realistic and gives a more perceived sense of where the singer is placed. i hear that the normal Lambda is better in this regard or perhaps the ESP950, since it's considered a "Lambda on steroids".

Have you ever tried the HE60? They have a somewhat more forward midrange with even better timbre.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #11,879 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried the HE60? They have a somewhat more forward midrange with even better timbre.

haven't yet, would love to hear the HE60. i've heard that the ESP950 reaches HE60 level when driven through something like the Blue Hawaii.

anyway, i've contacted the seller and according to him, there were no mods done to the T1. here's his reply in quote: Quote:

the T1 unit was not modified. however it was treated with the O2 blocker compound back in Febuary of 1997. the O2 blocker was a contact enhancer which helped improve the overall output. you will probabily notice certification sticker on the top of your unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back