The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #11,298 of 24,807
Has anyone here heard the SR-303 and the Lambda Pro/Lambda Normal?

From what I've read, the SR-303 are like a less laid-back Lambda. If so, they may be just what I'm looking for.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #11,299 of 24,807
I had been using the O2Mk2/007Tii exclusively for quite a while. And then this past month, I went back to partly using dynamics - HD800, HD6XX - with three different amps.

I now experience listener fatigue with the dynamics in a way I never did before when I listened to dynamic headphones on a regular basis. We're talking headaches and irritation, both mental and physical, after long listening sessions.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have the O2 ruined me for "regular" headphones? Is there that big a difference between stat and dynamic sound?

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #11,300 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had been using the O2Mk2/007Tii exclusively for quite a while. And then this past month, I went back to partly using dynamics - HD800, HD6XX - with three different amps.

I now experience listener fatigue with the dynamics in a way I never did before when I listened to dynamic headphones on a regular basis. We're talking headaches and irritation, both mental and physical, after long listening sessions.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have the O2 ruined me for "regular" headphones? Is there that big a difference between stat and dynamic sound?

As regards the difference, I was struck by the similarity of sound between the best dynamics and stats I heard at the LA Canjam. But, and its a big butt, even the best dynamic I heard, the Balanced HD 800, had what I call a grittiness or graininess of sound.

When I travel by plane I have the Stax SR001Mk2's for most places and the Senn CX300 IEMs for really noisey situations, usually in the plane because of their better isolation from noise. I usually think the Senns sound very good in a direct A/B comparison with the SR001. But when I use them on the planes, I find I just don't enjoy the music that much.

I think that if I had never heard the stats I might be satisfied with the Senns, but it's hard to go back to dynamics after the stats.

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #11,302 of 24,807
there is a volume knob for a reason
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #11,303 of 24,807
I feel rather fatigued with HD-800s after using the LNS/007t combo. I wonder if it has to do with them pushing so much more air than stats. It could be the treble peak in the HD-800s partly to blame. Hot trebles in dynamic cans usually bother me, and I don't listen that loud either. It probably also helps that the 007t has just that touch a musicality about it from the tubes too.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #11,305 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by freckling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
simple/quick question. would my classe 150 wpc into 8ohms be overkill for a srd-7/sb? i obviously wouldn't want to fry the earspeakers..

Quote:

I just meant that I didn't want a situation where the volume knob was rotated only 1-2 degrees

Then the Classé 150wpc probably is not the ideal choice.
Cause with that much of power I am sure you can easily kill the headphone plugged into the SRD-7/SB. Play nice with the volume control though and they should be perfectly safe.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #11,306 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...which is what the Dr. Jecklin did
bigsmile_face.gif

Indeed so. But the Jecklin drivers held K1000 style in front of the ears, fair little better than the SR-202 drivers, despite their nearly 3x bias voltage and surface area. Then again, they're also held back by insufficient power throughput from the transformers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do the Jecklins work? If I remember my old Jecklins, their enclosures extended beyond the drivers (which were only about 4 by 4 inches?) by a few inches, thus acting as a baffle to stop some of the backwave. I think there was also some added foam on the inside which would block the wave. Finally, their drivers are pretty close to the ear which probably blocks some of the backwave from getting in front of the driver

The enclosure, or helmet, has a few millimeters around the sides, and the same front and back. The grille and foam pads (outside, the inside just had a few tiny neoprene tabs to hold the driver in place which was crazy insufficient) will I suppose have some kind of baffle effect but just how much of one I wouldn't want to bet on.

What Id really want to do, if I got my hands on another set, would be to put the drivers into a new housing. One with earpads than seal and had a good tight grip on them. You could do something Sigma-esque with them, but it'd end up very large and clumsy.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #11,307 of 24,807
Quote:

:p

I just meant that I didn't want a situation where the volume knob was rotated only 1-2 degrees

Your confusing power and gain. Amplification factor is voltage gain. Power is the ability to put that voltage into a load. The voltage gain on most amps fall between 20 and 35 db. You could have a high gain low powered amp (like a Quad 303) that would be louder at a given volume control setting than a high powered low gain amp (like a Pass Labs). As for overpowering the SRD, just be careful. There are a lot of people that are driving their SRD with a high powered amp.

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #11,308 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed so. But the Jecklin drivers held K1000 style in front of the ears, fair little better than the SR-202 drivers, despite their nearly 3x bias voltage and surface area. Then again, they're also held back by insufficient power throughput from the transformers.

The enclosure, or helmet, has a few millimeters around the sides, and the same front and back. The grille and foam pads (outside, the inside just had a few tiny neoprene tabs to hold the driver in place which was crazy insufficient) will I suppose have some kind of baffle effect but just how much of one I wouldn't want to bet on.

What Id really want to do, if I got my hands on another set, would be to put the drivers into a new housing. One with earpads than seal and had a good tight grip on them. You could do something Sigma-esque with them, but it'd end up very large and clumsy.

Interesting.

I still think that somewhere between the designs of the Jecklins, Sigma and K1000 is another good stat headphone design waiting to be born.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #11,310 of 24,807
My understanding is the whole reason to use a big speaker amp is for the improved dynamic range, but that one would typically never need to put more than an average of 5-15 watts into the transformer, And that the transformer is limited in how much power you can put into the headphones, because of the small transformers inside. True?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back