The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #11,161 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinsale,

I would suggest upgrading your amp or source. The O2mk1 are brutally revealing and will let you know if there are any weakness. Likewise, the Sr-x will still scale with the new equipment. What's your budget?

My budget is not really suitable for this forum LOL. I have $500 to spend on either a DAC or power Amp. I'm stuck with a laptop as source as I do most of my listening at work for 8 hours.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #11,162 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is not really suitable for this forum LOL. I have $500 to spend on either a DAC or power Amp. I'm stuck with a laptop as source as I do most of my listening at work for 8 hours.

Believe it or not, a Travagans Green USB DAC amp with 5-watt speaker out and an SRD-7 Pro can drive an O2 Mk2 very nicely and sounds very nice to my ears. You can get the amp for $190 and the SRD-7 Pro comes up occasionally for $300-400. It is the cheapest setup that can come close to reasonably driving Stax O2 from a laptop. I even talked Blutarsky into one, although he then sold me his O2 Mk1 (but still has ESP950 and SR-Lambda to drive with it).

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #11,163 of 24,807
Kinsale,

Upgrade your source first, the music starts there. I am not sure what DACs to get as I use CD players.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #11,164 of 24,807
after hearing and really liking the sound of stax at canjam, ive been interesting in getting into sta. i was wondering if anyone has written a faq or anything about stax? a simple guide/walkthrough saying difference between pro and normal bias (not just the difference in voltage and pins, but sound?), difference between lambda, lambda pro, lambda signature, 202, 303, 404? something like multiple variations of lambda pro? energizer?

so far my understanding of stax is pretty limited. all i understand is stax requires energizer to power it, which could be a SRD7 amped by speaker amp (power amp?) or amplifier made for electrostats. all the pro, normal bias, and different variation with same model name really confuses me.

thanks

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #11,165 of 24,807
Right, the SRD-7 hooks up to a speaker amp. STAX only makes SRM amps now so you can only find SRD adapters used. Take note SRD-7 and SRD-7/SB are normal bias so you will not be getting the most out of pro bias earspeakers with those. The SRD-7 Professional has two pro biased jacks and the SRD-7 MKII has one normal, one pro bias. You can't plug normal bias (6-pin) earspeakers into a pro bias (5-pin) jack.

Read through this entire thread if you want to know about the sound of a particular earspeaker. All of the Lambda-type earspeakers sound similar but everyone has their favorite. The original normal bias SR-Lambda has the least amount of sonic quirks, best mids, and usually is the best value too. The Lambda Professional can be a good value if you plan on staying with all pro bias gear. If you want super-sparkley highs get the Lambda Signature. I haven't spent much time with the SR-x0x line but I've tried the SR-404, it is more lambda style goodness and their drivers stuffed into an old SR-Sigma make for a nice treat.

With a nice amp Omegas are wonderful especially for vocals but they don't have the pronounced highs of the Lambdas. I think the Omegas are more Hi-Fi but I can understand why Lambdas get so much love, I'm getting to get a couple pairs today.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #11,166 of 24,807
I have been looking for SRD 7 pro or mk 2 for a while and 2 came up for sale in audiogon yesterday. Guess what, both have already been sold. It pains me to see that it was so close yet so far.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #11,168 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a simple guide/walkthrough saying difference between pro and normal bias (not just the difference in voltage and pins, but sound?), difference between lambda, lambda pro, lambda signature, 202, 303, 404? something like multiple variations of lambda pro? energizer?

I've found nothing is so simple when it comes to Staxen, but there is much wisdom in this thread. And faust's wikiphonia is pretty great.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #11,170 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hoping to attempt modifying my SRD-7SB to an mkII. I'm sure its cheaper then trying to find one by far.

The size of the transformers inside it will make it take much longer to charge up a phone to Pro bias than a SRD-7 Mk2 SB that came from the factory as pro-bias, but it can work.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #11,171 of 24,807
After much deliberation, I am joining Team Babystax. Just agreed to buy a slightly used SR-001 Mk2 kit from a guy on craigslist.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #11,172 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The size of the transformers inside it will make it take much longer to charge up a phone to Pro bias than a SRD-7 Mk2 SB that came from the factory as pro-bias, but it can work.

What?
confused_face(1).gif
That makes no sense Larry and it should be no problem to modify. Most SB's have a third transformer which steps up the voltage off the audio transformer even higher but all of the Stax bias supplies are limited to a 100v input so a Pro or a normal bias unit makes no difference. It's also easy to grab a drill and add a small hole to fit a power cable.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #11,173 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After much deliberation, I am joining Team Babystax. Just agreed to buy a slightly used SR-001 Mk2 kit from a guy on craigslist.

The SR-001 sounds great but I can't bear its discomfort
confused_face.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #11,174 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope you like it as much as I like mine. However, you do, I hope, realize
that it just the beginning of the madness.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #11,175 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-001 sounds great but I can't bear its discomfort
confused_face.gif

I never understtod that complaint since all you have to do is bend the metal headband to reduce the pressure on the ears. You can have them so loose that they nearly fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back