Lol
biggrin.gif

A very cute baby head-fier Currawong

now that is a baby stax...
seriously brought a grin to my face.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #10,352 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Jack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the SRM-717 a large step up from the SRM-1 MKII? I had the latter briefly and it was nice but perhaps a little less dynamic and a little lacking in tonal depth than what I was looking for.

My SRM-1 wasn't working correctly (humming issue) so perhaps another unit would sound a bit better?

Yes, certainly if it doesn't hum.

It is certainly better with the less efficient phones such as the 007A and Sigma/404 or Sigma/pro. More oomph to the sound. There appears to be an emerging consensus in this forum that it is the best of the Stax transistor amps.

I don't think it would matter much for the more efficient phones such as the Lambdas and SR003.

The SRM1MK2 is considered about the best of the older Stax transistor amps and I find it pretty good with the Sigma/404.

Recently, however I compared it in low bias operation with the SRA12S Preamp/headphone amp and preferred the SRA12S, at least when it had a PS Audio Noise Harvester plugged into its power outlet.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #10,354 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should know that re-conditioned or refurbished Stax usually involves throwing out the old drivers and replacing them with what ever is in current production. That would mean SR-303/404 drivers and that's not a good thing in this case. It's easy to check as the LNS drivers have a gold anodized ring around the drivers (which you can see through the chassis) and the SR-303/404 have a red ring.

Thanks for letting me know about that. There was no mention in the auction about the drivers being replaced, only the dust filter and something I don't understand about checking a gap. Here's the dodgy Google translation:

Quote:

3 was obtained in 2007 at our auction. Aging state is completely finished, give a very cheerful tone. April 2007 Year in STAX pad, the dust filter replacement for this body, SP gap of an amendment to the mounting unit, check that the other abnormalities have been reported missing. Appearance may have a certain feel. I have a good sound when the seller.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #10,355 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, certainly if it doesn't hum.

It is certainly better with the less efficient phones such as the 007A and Sigma/404 or Sigma/pro. More oomph to the sound. There appears to be an emerging consensus in this forum that it is the best of the Stax transistor amps.

I don't think it would matter much for the more efficient phones such as the Lambdas and SR003.

The SRM1MK2 is considered about the best of the older Stax transistor amps and I find it pretty good with the Sigma/404.

Recently, however I compared it in low bias operation with the SRA12S Preamp/headphone amp and preferred the SRA12S, at least when it had a PS Audio Noise Harvester plugged into its power outlet.

Thanks for the reply!

If there is little difference between the two I'd be more inclined to wait out another SRM-1. But when we are talking about the Lambda's being more efficient are we talking about the volume or the control of the music at any volume? Basically what I am saying is that the SRM-1 was plenty powerful, and able to my SR-404 to ear bleeding volumes, but I would like to know if the SRM-717 is a substantial difference in the quality of sound at any volume output. If the SRM-717 would add some "ooomph" and bring more tonal colours into the pallet that would be awesome!

I am new to Stax and don't claim to know as much as you seasoned veterans (ahem, spritzer)! Just wanting to join the gang.
icon10.gif

On Stax withdrawal... need new amp. lol

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #10,356 of 24,807
The SRM1 Mk 2 I had (an A series) had no hum whatsoever at full volume, so something wasn't right with the one you had. It was an excellent amplifier, but the 717 sounds smoother and more dynamic.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #10,357 of 24,807
Hi all,
I'm enjoying my SR-X Mk3. However I feel they are not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like a little wider soundstage. I also feel that some instruments get masked when more than a couple are playing at the same time. They are also quite tiresome to wear for a long time. I think I might like Stax in general. I like the realism and how fast they are. Any ideas on what I can move up to?
My line up is Itunes>Hot Audio USB DAC> Qinpu Q2

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #10,358 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
I'm enjoying my SR-X Mk3. However I feel they are not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like a little wider soundstage. I also feel that some instruments get masked when more than a couple are playing at the same time. They are also quite tiresome to wear for a long time. I think I might like Stax in general. I like the realism and how fast they are. Any ideas on what I can move up to?

about the masking, are you sure that's not something in the master or mix down? any lambda are known for better soundstage: ie 202 on up. i have a normal bias lambda and they have ruined all my other headphones.
wink.gif
i do listen to them all however and enjoy them for what they do. i'm sure you will too. even if and when you move up or on however you'd like to interperate that.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #10,359 of 24,807
Quote:

Hi all,

Try a lambda, they are very comfortable to wear i.e. hours an hours on end and should give you a wider soundstage. You may have to find a pro bias amp or energizer for them unless you are lucky enough to find a pair of normal bias lambdas. A set if lambda pro's is a good starting point although they are not considered to be the best of the lambdas. If you want very wide apparently the sigma pro's are the king of soundstage although i haven't heard them myself.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #10,360 of 24,807
Quote:

Any ideas on what I can move up to?

You need a much better source for the Stax otherwise it doesn't worth to get it, really. Especially with the SR-X Mk3 which is unforgiving to the source. Did it have leather pads? I replaced mine and after one or two days it got much more comfortable.
Getting something from the Classic line should be a worthwhile upgrade. The SRM-3 isn't said to be great, but probably a cheap option to go with it. Like the one that is for sale and looks lightly used, but the seller is a new member.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #10,361 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Jack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply!

If there is little difference between the two I'd be more inclined to wait out another SRM-1. But when we are talking about the Lambda's being more efficient are we talking about the volume or the control of the music at any volume? Basically what I am saying is that the SRM-1 was plenty powerful, and able to my SR-404 to ear bleeding volumes, but I would like to know if the SRM-717 is a substantial difference in the quality of sound at any volume output. If the SRM-717 would add some "ooomph" and bring more tonal colours into the pallet that would be awesome!

I am new to Stax and don't claim to know as much as you seasoned veterans (ahem, spritzer)! Just wanting to join the gang.
icon10.gif

On Stax withdrawal... need new amp. lol

I have a SRM-1mk2 Pro, 717 & 007t. The 717 and 007t sound very similar but the 717 has more extension, power and dynamics. The 717 is considerably better than the SRM-1mk2 Pro. It is much smoother in the upper midrange and treble. It has a bigger soundstage, better low level detail, tighter and deeper bass. I think that the 717 and 007t are the very best of the available Stax amps. If you ever upgrade to a O2 the 717 is a great choice.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #10,362 of 24,807
Moving to the 007t for my SR-5NBs made for a huge jump. I have spent a 2-3 weeks simply not listening to even the O2s at all, until today.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #10,363 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a much better source for the Stax otherwise it doesn't worth to get it, really. Especially with the SR-X Mk3 which is unforgiving to the source. Did it have leather pads? I replaced mine and after one or two days it got much more comfortable.
Getting something from the Classic line should be a worthwhile upgrade. The SRM-3 isn't said to be great, but probably a cheap option to go with it. Like the one that is for sale and looks lightly used, but the seller is a new member.

How would you improve the source? Is it the DAC or Itunes? I use mainly 320kpbs mp3. Does everyone agree that I should look to the source and not upgrade the headphones?

My line up is Itunes(320k) > USB Hot Audio DAC > Qinpu Q2

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #10,364 of 24,807
Quote:

Hi all,

Since you probably have an SRD-7 with your SR-X/MK3 I suggest you pick up a different Normal bias Stax'en. The SR-Lambda might be the most obvious choice.
smile.gif

You can always go Pro bias, but then you need a new transformer (SRD-7Pro or MK2) or an energizer (direct driven amplifier).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back