The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #10,066 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the detailed explanation. What amazes me is how much head room and space for musical dynamics - listening to Earl Wild's Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 now, and I'm listening not just the music, but the hall in which it's recorded in, can literally hear the depth of the stage, as well as the space between the duet between the cello & piano the 2nd movement.

I was told that these recordings were made sometime back with 3 mics, the strings tend sound a bit dry, but the overall experience is almost like sitting in the concert hall in which it was recorded.

This Cd is clearly not like the ones I was referring to and it is almost as good as the real thing. In addition it can almost be processed to a very good binaural variation using post mastering software.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #10,067 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headband is different too: while the DIY version used a single metal band covered in leather (which started to become painful after a while), the original version has two metal bands, distanced and covered with the black leather.

I never saw the arc fitted to your set as Kai supplied it with the housings coming from one of my sets. I've never seen any variation in the six of the earcups and I doubt that is the case as all the phones use the same driver, which is a very snug fit. It's the same driver chassis as has been in use since 1971 when the SR-5 was introduced. For the record, the earpads are slightly larger then the metal rings they are glued to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1: Most ESP/950 pictures I've seen show black grilles w/ a red badge on each yoke. I have no badges, and the grilles have a flat reddish paintjob.

2: They seem to squeal a bit. This might end up meaning that i send them to koss for warranty repair, which is annoying, but i can still hardly complain for the price.

Can you post some pics of them? I had a couple of very early sets here once and they looked similar to what you are describing. The ESP950 has been in production for almost 20 years now so no wonder there have been some changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...When using the XLR (analog) outputs to drive the SRS-717 there is an additional 10 db gain over that of the RCA analog output...

You should only get some extra 3dB from switching to XLR from RCA as voltage is doubled, thus doubling the gain.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #10,068 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should only get some extra 3dB from switching to XLR from RCA as voltage is doubled, thus doubling the gain.

This is true and can be confirmed. You only need to take the SR-717 from 12 to 1 o'clock when going from XLR to RCA input. However the source (Lynx B) suffers a 10db signal to noise degradation when configured as RCA.

Spritzer, do you thing that a tube amp would take some of the dryness on the strings away?
and do you think that software DSP that can selectively attenuate the even or odd harmonics can make the 717 sound like a tube amp?

Could you please help me locate the new PoorMan electrostatic amp schematic? All I could find was a discussion on a modification of an old Dynaco.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #10,069 of 24,807
You can tailor a tube amp to sound like anything you want (same goes for SS) but the 717 sounds like a good valve amp to my ears (warm and forgiving) so I would look for the faults somewhere else. Try an external DAC or something like that as while soundcards can have great chips they are always tied to that beyond horrible computer PSU and are fitted with cheap and nasty output stages.

Here is the link to the PoorMan discussion though it is still being worked on.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #10,070 of 24,807
So i've read all the info on the different O2 rated amps and i'm near the crunch of buying one it looks like the 717 is the most highly rated and would probably keep me happy until a blue hawaii surfaces.

What can I expect in terms of improvements between using the O2 mk1 on the T1W and the 717? Some folks have said that the o2 can be dark sounding without a decent amp and although I don't consider them to be dark the T1W does need the volume set to between 10 and 11 to run them at a decent level. They remind me of my normal bias lambda's crossed with with the signatures. I do think though that the treble is a little recessed compared with them however, that may be due to the 'splash' that some report on the lambdas or is it that the t1 doesn't drive the o2's well enough.

After all that blather what i'm really trying to ask is will the 717 be a substantial jump in quality over the T1W , should I buy one and will i be happier?
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #10,071 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After all that blather what i'm really trying to ask is will the 717 be a substantial jump in quality over the T1W , should I buy one and will i be happier?
smile.gif

The T1 series are rated to put out 300 volts max. The 007t is 340 volts. The 717 is 450 volts. I have all three and love my T1W on all my stat phones but the O2. The 007t is much better, but the 717 is the King of the available Stax amps for the O2. You can expect almost everything to be better. You should hear deeper tighter bass, crisper and more detailed highs, more dynamic, better low level detail, blacker background and a nice big soundstage. Go for it!

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #10,072 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T1 series are rated to put out 300 volts max. The 007t is 340 volts. The 717 is 450 volts. I have all three and love my T1W on all my stat phones but the O2. The 007t is much better, but the 717 is the King of the available Stax amps for the O2. You can expect almost everything to be better. You should hear deeper tighter bass, crisper and more detailed highs, more dynamic, better low level detail, blacker background and a nice big soundstage. Go for it!

Agree. I've compared the O2 on the 007T and 717, and I really much prefer the 717, bass on the 717 has a bit more punch.. I just find the 007T a bit too polite for my taste....

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #10,073 of 24,807
Quote:

You can tailor a tube amp to sound like anything you want (same goes for SS) but the 717 sounds like a good valve amp to my ears (warm and forgiving) so I would look for the faults somewhere else. Try an external DAC or something like that as while soundcards can have great chips they are always tied to that beyond horrible computer PSU and are fitted with cheap and nasty output stages.

Here is the link to the PoorMan discussion though it is still being worked on.

Thanks for the link.

I am happy to see that you confirm the ability of software to shape things. I am also happy to know that my 717 sounds like a good tube amp.
regular_smile .gif

I did not have any complaint from my PC card, I was just referring to the comment "LyricalMoments" made for the slightly dry strings. He does have a Benchmark 1 so this is not his reason for hearing some slight dryness.

Now I am wondering whether to build a VT amp.
confused_face(1).gif

Well I have to read the thread you pointed first.

What is your opinion on pure silver wire (99.99%) re-cabling for the O2?
Some people reported it improves the sound and brightens up a bit the O2.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #10,074 of 24,807
Quote:

I did not have any complaint from my PC card, I was just referring to the comment "LyricalMoments" made for the slightly dry strings. He does have a Benchmark 1 so this is not his reason for hearing some slight dryness.

I took it was for you, sorry about that. The Benchmark is a poor source to my ears and it doesn't deserve all the praise it is regularly showered with. I much prefer the more "natural" approach to sound many vintage and NOS dac's take though sadly most overdo it, being too dense and warm.

Quote:

I'm not aware of anybody who has changed the cable on the O2's but many of us use silver interconnects. I have played around with silver cables on Stax headphones and dropped it after two prototypes as there wasn't any real gain to my ears (different yes but not really better) and the comfort was terrible.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #10,075 of 24,807
Quote:

When I was first replying to your post I encountered a failure and had to rewrite it. In the process I forgot to ask you this:

Doubling voltage results in quadrupling power. If db is related to sound pressure level then a 6 db theoretical increase is available. Is this applicable to electrostatic headphones as it is in dynamics or not?
can you explain?

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #10,076 of 24,807
Quote:

you mean changing the stock cable or IC?

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #10,077 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am in the process of trying a few different amps, the Kimik 007t II etc. Apparently, I have recently read, that EAR make a version of the HP4 for electrostats? I am currently happy with my T1 as the improvements of the amps I have tried for me are marginal and do not warrant the cost, if the O2 were any more detailed from an amp my eardrums would fall out!

Short of a BH I think I will stay where I am for the time being.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #10,078 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean changing the stock cable or IC?

I mean the stock cable. I may be wrong and I have thought it was the stock cable when in reality it was the interconnect. I read this recently and I think it was in the Stax thread so I am searching to see if I can find it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #10,080 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link please
o2smile.gif

I am not, I think, allowed to link under forum rules but here is a direct quote,

"EAR's HP4 headphone amp had still not been unpacked! When TP took it out of the box and put it on the marble counter, I saw that it was much larger and heavier than I expected. The thick faceplate was polished to a mirror finish. TP presented the features on the headphone amp of which he was very proud, such as the balanced inputs, the dual impedance headphone outputs, the "Power Amp" switch that mutes speakers and the massive construction. The HP4 retails for about $3500 US. A custom version for electrostatic headphones is available for about $5000 US.

I assume TP is Tim de Paravicini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back