The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #10,096 of 24,807
There is a protection circuit in the amp with relays on the output, probably triggered by excessive DC voltage. My first cause of action would be to clean the amp as dust and high voltage don't mix and if that doesn't work, send the amp back for service. You can also check and see if the the amp boards are properly seated inside and make sure the contacts are clean. Make sure you can't get zapped as there is a lot of power stored in those caps.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #10,097 of 24,807
Im looking for a dac with balanced output. (Im considering the bargain priced ps audio, at 699 right now).

I need to buy a set of xlr analogue ics. I noticed that there is a diagram on the back of the 007t amp indicting polarity. Is this a standard configuration and would any standard xlr ic do (sorry for my ignorance but i dont even know if there is such a thing as a standard configuation) or do I have to order a set of cables specifically configured for stax and/or the dac i choose.

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #10,100 of 24,807
Hi everyone, I was dusting the insides of my SRM-T1S the other day (as you do) and I took a few pictures of it. Thought they might be of interest to some of the followers of this thread.

Sorry that they are a bit big.

SRM-T1S1.jpg

SRM-T1S2.jpg

SRM-T1S3.jpg

As regards professional equipment with XLR connections, wiring convention has long been a bone of contention between various countries. Because some have pin 2 as 'hot' (+) and pin 3 as the return (-) with pin 1 always earth, while others have pin 3 as ’hot’ and pin 2 as the return. So while any XLR interconnect will work you may get a reversal in absolute phase if you are unlucky and if this is important to you.

I notice that my T1S has pin 3 marked as hot (+) which might not agree with the American made PS Audio equipment. So it would be worth checking with them as you may need to have wires 2 and 3 swapped over in your ic.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #10,101 of 24,807
Am considering building a HE60 to Stax adapter by cannibalizing a Stax extension. But can anyone help to verify the pinout on the plug of the HE60 connector? I have made a diagram of the HE60 plug below as it looks when facing the connector from the front. Am I right about the positions of the bias, +ve & -ve poles??

HE60-Pinout-1.jpg

BTW, thanks Birgir for your help.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #10,102 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice that my T1S has pin 3 marked as hot (+) which might not agree with the American made PS Audio equipment. So it would be worth checking with them as you may need to have wires 2 and 3 swapped over in your ic.

I'm using a PS Audio DLIII with both STAX SRM-717 and 007t through off-the-shelf balanced IC's (AudioQuest Viper) and everythings works just fine!
normal_smile .gif

I can't attest to absolute phase however.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #10,103 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I got my Lambda Nova Signatures today, all I can say is WOW. I never expected them to sound so much better then the 404's. Its much more organic, natural sounding, balanced, but not boring in the least. I really really like it! Thanks for all the recommendations.

Great to hear!
lambda.gif

Never heard the Lambda Nova Signature myself, but have heard the Lambda Signature and prefer it over the SR-404.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now a stupid question
tongue.gif
, how am I supposed to change earpads on the Stax headphones? I did a search but didn't find anything (sorry), they come with some sort of selfadhesive tape formed in the shape of the earpads.

Remove the old pads, and as much as possible of the old tape residue. Then mount the new pads.
NB! Make notice of the pads orientation before mounting, as they can mount 4 ways while just 1 way is correct.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #10,104 of 24,807
Hi everyone, i'm new to the stax world! I just want to thank everyone for all the wonderful info in all the various stax threads on the site. I managed to score an SRM-1 MK2 & Lambda Pros and am enjoying the ride so far. I've also got normal Lambda's on the way so there's no going back for me.

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #10,105 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a PS Audio DLIII with both STAX SRM-717 and 007t through off-the-shelf balanced IC's (AudioQuest Viper) and everythings works just fine!
normal_smile .gif

I can't attest to absolute phase however.

Thanks Wilcox and Thermionic

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #10,106 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Do I agree with that statement.

I have been looking around for something a little more musical for source... Anyone tried the Esound Prime version CDP? Read some really good review for it, just wondering how it would fare on the 717+O2 combo.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #10,107 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powerslave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, i'm new to the stax world! I just want to thank everyone for all the wonderful info in all the various stax threads on the site. I managed to score an SRM-1 MK2 & Lambda Pros and am enjoying the ride so far. I've also got normal Lambda's on the way so there's no going back for me.

Great entry electrostatic rig! Welcome!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #10,108 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im looking for a dac with balanced output. (Im considering the bargain priced ps audio, at 699 right now).

I need to buy a set of xlr analogue ics. I noticed that there is a diagram on the back of the 007t amp indicting polarity. Is this a standard configuration and would any standard xlr ic do (sorry for my ignorance but i dont even know if there is such a thing as a standard configuation) or do I have to order a set of cables specifically configured for stax and/or the dac i choose.

Thanks.

Re: PS Audio - I wanted to trade my APS modded ESP950 for Blutarsky's Stello DA100 Signature that is on the way - he decided to buy a PS Audio DLIII and we'll compare them, and he will give me either the Stello or the PS Audio for the ESP950 depending on our testing. We both know we already like the Stello sound signature, and if he keeps both his Stello and neither us likes the PSA then we can return it and try something else.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #10,109 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, like to hear from you guys at what volume you listen to your music on the Stax, esp those with the 717 + O2 combo.

On my dynamic setup, volume knob tends to stay at 1 level most of the time. I've been listening to the 717 + O2 for a few days now and I find myself having to readjust the volume knob - Jazz at 9-10 o'clock and Classical at 12 o'clock, the latter tends to sound pretty far away as compared to my dynamic amps.

I notice I have to set the knob on my 717/02 much higher than I did with my Lamdas, which was similar to your 717 settings. It may not tell much due to different systems having different volume output levels, but on my 717 I set the volume for Jazz/Rock more or less at Noon, Classical is typically around 2:00, but ranges from 1 o'clock to 2:45! I tend to play on the loud side, but thru my system these settings are not extremely loud. Seems since I switched to silver interconnects, I can set the volume knob slightly lower, but this could be my adjusting to the 02s as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back