The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #9,137 of 24,807
I like my balanced HD600 much better than HD650, so I suppose I need to start looking for a Mk1 now.

Wait a minute! I like the PS-1 just a little more than the HP-1000 (with the right amp), so I suppose I need to keep my Mk2.

Aw, I'm so confused.
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #9,138 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I want Spritzer to read that and to puke hahaha ;D

No such luck...
tongue.gif
It's actually not a bad comparison as the HD600 is the last good headphone that Senn made. The HD650 only deserves to be at the receiving end of a hammer...
mad.gif
I liked the Grado HP2 I had but never understood why people paid so much for them. I've never heard a PS-1 but the rest of the Grado's are ehhh... not that good.

The Mk1 is the best headphone ever made IMO, tough to please and will rip most sources a new one, but there is nothing that compares. The Mk2 should be even better but instead they decided to give them a "sound". In my eyes a component should be neutral and not have a sound of any kind, just relay what's on the recording with no fuss. Nothing is perfect though but the Mk2 simply strays to far from the ideal. Fully modified it isn't perfect but a lot better then a stock unit in revealing what's on the recording and not injecting its own character on everything.

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #9,139 of 24,807
A problem with SRM-727II:
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear a conciderable increase of the highs of my O2mk2. For the past few weeks somehow the highs opened and become more shrill and noticeable, some squeaky and ticking sounds protrude above the whole sound "picture". I mean sounds like the sound of a harpsichord or the movement of the fingers over the quitar's neck, or some "parasite" sounds which are found in all acoustic records. Before this transformation the sound of the O2mk2 was smoother and more laid back without anytning annoying and distracting my listening. Now it's more k701-like
regular_smile .gif
In fact now the amount of the highs of my Omega is almost like of my k701.
I've tried different sources and have found that it's not a source issue. It's just the headphones or the amp.
I repeat - I don't know if it's a problem or a burn-in effect. But I don't like it.

After comparison with another SRM-727II it was found that my SRM-727II causes the sharp peak of the highs and the overall harshness and sibilance of my system.
The sound symmetry of the problem makes me think that it is in that part of the circuitry which is before the channel separation.
Any ideas what may cause these shrillness and harshness of my amp?
Has anyone bump into such a problem with any electrostatic amp?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #9,140 of 24,807
I've learned that the earpads from the MK2 fit the SR-007. Can anyone advise me as to whether they find the MK2 pads (lambskin) more comfortable and less moisture-producing than the synthetic leather pads that come with the SR007?

New pads are expensive so I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #9,142 of 24,807
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Elephas. Maybe I should just stop visiting here, and start believing I've found my perfect set of headphones.
Spritzer, why do you come here still? You have found your ideal one for years already, haven't you?

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #9,145 of 24,807
Merry Christmas to all who help the ignorant. Spritzer is certainly being self-less in this regard. Thanks.

Now, will new pads help my Lambdas at all or not? The pads are in fine shape but old and tend to lose seal with movement. Just not supple anymore. I keep them clean but still have that issue.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #9,147 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A problem with SRM-727II:

After comparison with another SRM-727II it was found that my SRM-727II causes the sharp peak of the highs and the overall harshness and sibilance of my system.
The sound symmetry of the problem makes me think that it is in that part of the circuitry which is before the channel separation.
Any ideas what may cause these shrillness and harshness of my amp?
Has anyone bump into such a problem with any electrostatic amp?

Are both amps set for the same voltage? Are the switches at the back both set right? Are you using the same power cords? Any of these could affect the sound. Then, of course, hopefully your amp has not got a defect.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #9,148 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are both amps set for the same voltage? Are the switches at the back both set right? Are you using the same power cords? Any of these could affect the sound. Then, of course, hopefully your amp has not got a defect.

Everything with my amp was just OK but about one month ago I've noticed the first sympthoms of the problem - slight ticking sounds which bit by bit grew into overall harshness and sibilance that is just opposite to the native smoothness of my system.
About the voltage: my amp has been rewired from 117 to 220V but I've listened without any problem for some months untill the problem appeared.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #9,149 of 24,807
how is the bias voltage? do you have a way to check that? Low bias + cranked up stator swing can cause harshness like that, but the bias voltage will have to be way low and stator swing voltage has to be way high. If that is the problem you would have noticed the volumn setting being much higher than before.

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #9,150 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earpads on the Mk1 SR-007 are 100% real leather while the new ones are only partially made out of leather. The mk2/A pads are a bit more comfortable when it comes to moisture buildup but not by much, at least here up in the frozen north.

Are you sure about Mk1 pads? They look very much like higher grade artificial leather to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back