The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #9,107 of 24,807
The 4070 was out well before the 007a, I think. Personally, I'd much rather see them redo the 007 rather than keeping the 007a as a flagship and releasing another model in between. Then, they should fix that awful Lambda housing and get the drivers singing like they should. But maybe that's what the new model would be - an open 4070, i.e. better housing than the 404 but same drivers.

Remaking the 001 is a good idea too, but they should redo the amp sonically and worry about portability later. The amp sucks compared to what DIY modded versions can do. Right now the 001 is better than universal-fit IEMs for the most part, but only just, and it needs to be clearly head-and-shoulders above everything else to make it an attractive option - the way it is when you mod it.

Then make an amp that can actually drive the 007 and that doesn't suck.

I'm disappointed with Stax these days, to say the least.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #9,108 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will SRM 727II be able to drive two O2's at a time (since it has two outputs)?

Yes it will. The sound quality will hurt though, as they will share the voltage it puts out.

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #9,109 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm disappointed with Stax these days, to say the least.

I'm not disappointed with Stax, but of course I wouldn't mind more improved products.

I don't think as badly of the O2Mk2 as some others do, but I do think that it is different enough from the O2Mk1 to be potentially disappointing for those who really like the O2Mk1. If one considers the O2Mk1 to be the most neutral, least colored and best tonally balanced, I can understand how the O2Mk2 would then be considered inferior. But then, if the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 means so much, that would probably also mean the person considers all other headphones inferior to the O2Mk1.

So, O2Mk1 fanboys dissing all other headphones, including O2Mk2? Not exactly a surprising phenomenon.
biggrin.gif

Nah, I'm just joking with the fanboys bit. I don't think it's fanboyism to prefer the O2Mk1. I also like the O2Mk1 very much and consider it one of my Top 5 favorites, or maybe even Top 3. Top 2 is also possible, but not Top 1.
tongue.gif

I think the O2Mk2, 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1, all current production models, are competitive with or better than most other current headphones. I haven't heard the Jade, Ultrasone Ed. 9, TakeT and a few others, but I believe the Stax models are well-matched with most other current alternatives.

Even versus out of production headphones, I think the current Stax lineup acquits itself reasonably well. The HE90, HE60, O2Mk1, SR-Omega, K1000, R10, Qualia, L3000, PS-1, HP-2 are tough competitors. But even so, I think the O2Mk2 doesn't do too badly, and the 4070 and SR-SC1 have their own unique strengths to compete effectively.

4070: relative price, closed, isolation, details, clarity
SR-SC1: price, lightweight, comfort, all-around good performance

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #9,110 of 24,807
Thanks, Since I need this arrangement for comparison of two supposedly identical headphones, I think the drawback in quality would not be an issue, provided of course that the quality suffers in identical manner on both.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #9,111 of 24,807
I think Stax needs to make a 5.1 headspeaker system for me.

Maybe it is just b/c my kitten has me up so early but it seems to be a no brainer.

Hmmm. What would it look like I wonder? Kind of like 2 1/2 Sigmas all mashed together? lol

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #9,112 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...if the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 means so much, that would probably also mean the person considers all other headphones inferior to the O2Mk1.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!
tongue.gif
I also consider most speakers inferior to the SR-007 Mk1 but that's another matter. I do think you are onto something with the A/Mk2 being voiced for the new Stax amps but that's like voicing the HD600 for use only with a CMOY. Stax can certainly do better then this and have done so in the past.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #9,113 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, I'm just joking with the fanboys bit. I don't think it's fanboyism to prefer the O2Mk1. I also like the O2Mk1 very much and consider it one of my Top 5 favorites, or maybe even Top 3. Top 2 is also possible, but not Top 1.
tongue.gif

Well for me fanboyism has little to do with it. If anything, I prefer a more HE90-like sound and colorations. The reason for such strong preference on my part is that I really hate the kind of midrange coloration that the O2 Mk2 has, which the SR-404 also has and a lot of other headphones I could name. I really don't like that sort of sound and it was disappointing to say the least to have it transplanted into the O2.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #9,114 of 24,807
Hi folks,

What sort of 'load' in ohms (if i have my terminology right) does an energiser give a power amp? We know that speakers are rated at certain rough ohm values normally 4 or 8 ohms although from my understanding this is variable. So what about the energiser when in use and connected to a set of earspeakers. I understand that its more about voltage than current but what effect is there in say for instance driving the energiser with a 4ohm 2ohm or 1 ohm amp?

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #9,115 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Stax needs to make a 5.1 headspeaker system for me.

Maybe it is just b/c my kitten has me up so early but it seems to be a no brainer.

Hmmm. What would it look like I wonder? Kind of like 2 1/2 Sigmas all mashed together? lol

Speaking of which, I haven't heard of the Smyth Virtual Surround (SVS) for a while. It was presented with a Stax system. I wonder if will it ever go to production.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #9,116 of 24,807
I'm still trying to get an SRD-7 Pro, and as such am bidding on a couple of European auctions. Does anyone know if the conversion is easy to do to 117 V from 220 V?

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9,117 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, I haven't heard of the Smyth Virtual Surround (SVS) for a while. It was presented with a Stax system. I wonder if will it ever go to production.

Hey, I forgot about that. It would be really cool to get that system. Going to google for some new info.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #9,118 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still trying to get an SRD-7 Pro, and as such am bidding on a couple of European auctions. Does anyone know if the conversion is easy to do to 117 V from 220 V?

Yeah, its very easy.
Just replace the wall plug with one that fit your outlet. More specific, from an Europlug (click) to something else (no idea where you live).

The SRD-7 family accept 100-24v input.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9,120 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi folks,

What sort of 'load' in ohms (if i have my terminology right) does an energiser give a power amp? We know that speakers are rated at certain rough ohm values normally 4 or 8 ohms although from my understanding this is variable. So what about the energiser when in use and connected to a set of earspeakers. I understand that its more about voltage than current but what effect is there in say for instance driving the energiser with a 4ohm 2ohm or 1 ohm amp?

Thanks.

Speakers are rated at a nominal impedance but in reality it varies quite a bit with frequency. The Stax boxes are nominally 8 ohm but I'm not aware of any testing to determine how far down they go with a certain headphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back