The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #9,076 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best amp for my Lambdas? I have decided that is my next purchase. Or Sigmas, dead or alive. ]

Are there any mods for the lambda?

HeadphoneAddict has a Maxxed Woo GES that makes his SR-Lambda sound great, that would be my first choice. The SRM-007t would be my second for the Lambda, it was a nice improvemnt over my SRM-1/MK-2 and a better sonic match than my KGSS.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #9,077 of 24,807
Quote:

What's the best amp for my Lambdas? I have decided that is my next purchase. Or Sigmas, dead or alive. ]

Are there any mods for the lambda?

The SRM-1 Mk2 Pro is very good with the Lambda, and a step up from the SRD-X out of the DV336i that I was using before I bought one. However, the SRM-T1 is even better with the SR-Lambda, after Sherwood brought his over to compare. It was very close in sound to the GES prototype loaner that is floating around, but with about 2 db more low bass. The GES maxed added those 2 db and the slightly missing transparency, micro detail and ambience on top of that, but power is about the same.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #9,078 of 24,807
The 006t is a very similar topology to the SRM-T1 if I remember correctly, so both should sound excellent with the SR-Lambda. I love my SRM-T1 still, for what it's worth, and while I felt it was on par with the GES prototype that HeadphoneAddict had, it would not compete with his Maxed GES by any means.

However, all that being said, the best upgrade I've yet heard for the Lambdas is a source upgrade. I recently replaced my 0404 USB with an Electrcompaniet ECD-1, and WOW, are those little Lambdas singing. I'll have to bring it by your place, Larry, for some listening with the big rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #9,079 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, all that being said, the best upgrade I've yet heard for the Lambdas is a source upgrade. I recently replaced my 0404 USB with an Electrcompaniet ECD-1, and WOW, are those little Lambdas singing. I'll have to bring it by your place, Larry, for some listening with the big rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations with the ECD1.
bigsmile_face.gif

A really great DAC, which lift most systems to new highs.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #9,080 of 24,807
Yeah I think that the ECD1 would sound wonderful on any headphone lol.

Just a weeeee bit over my budget. Pretty certain my wife would beat me with a baseball bat.

Anyway, my Oritek is no slouch. I have a decent srd-7/amp combo. Would a different dac yield a bigger improvement than a better amp?

I think my main complaint is still a lack of low end slam and extension. Just seems like it is missing something there and in the highest registries. Being very picky though.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #9,081 of 24,807
Yeah, you're right, the Oritek is a great DAC. There's nothing near its price range I've heard that can touch it.

It seems like you have a very well-balanced system. If what you want is bass slam, then you definitely don't want to put money towards a dedicated amp. If anything, my SRM-T1 loses a little slam over my SRD-6SB, but it does gain detail enough to make it worthwhile.

P.S. thanks KRMathis. I know you were the proud owner of an ECD1 for quite a while, and I suspect I will be as well. What a source!

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #9,082 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you're right, the Oritek is a great DAC. There's nothing near its price range I've heard that can touch it.

It seems like you have a very well-balanced system. If what you want is bass slam, then you definitely don't want to put money towards a dedicated amp. If anything, my SRM-T1 loses a little slam over my SRD-6SB, but it does gain detail enough to make it worthwhile.

P.S. thanks KRMathis. I know you were the proud owner of an ECD1 for quite a while, and I suspect I will be as well. What a source!

Thank you. I take great pride in this setup. It is a culmination of my knowledge gained from being here. I got the best rig I could afford.

Detail gain? Hmmm. That would be ok for me. Voices could use more definition.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #9,083 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My short impressions using the Signature 30.2 and b22 are that they lack a bit of the micro-details of direct driven amplifiers, but match it and more when it comes to control and punch. I could, and actually do, live happily with both ways.
o2smile.gif

A sentiment i've heard before - that whatever a transformer box may lack in micro-detail and extreme spectral extension, they make up for in dynamic range.

'course, i still don't own any kind of direct-drive amp. And I'm guessing i won't until the good Dr. Gilmore delivers his updated version of his solid state amp using obtainable jfet pairs, and someone prints up a run of boards for DIYers.

Unless something just sort of becomes available for purchase at a can't-let-it-slip-by price.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #9,084 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hook up the SRM-252 chassis to ground. That should take care of it..

tried touching the metal to my metal horns and it didnt seem to do anything

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #9,085 of 24,807
I have to say that I got the Stax amps because I had a SRD-7 Pro and did a comparison for myself. I came away knowing that both had their reasons for being but I enjoyed the amps more. Therefore I now have the T1S and the KGSS. As is said, mileage does vary.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #9,086 of 24,807
If you had pro bias earspeakers...no question the "to go to" amp would be the SRM 717. I will be happy with that until Justin gets the KGST ready...or ...the other competition in its price range.

But as you are building on the normal bias earspakers...my recommendation would be trying out a Dared MP5 or any of its clones. Now I am using a srd7 mk2 or pro transformers but it gives me plenty of bass slam and bass control with enhanced mids and also some detail in the trebles that the srm1/mk2 pro did not have....with the Sigmas, which you are placing high on your try list. Wouldn't be surprised if that translated to the lambad also. I have a post in the av123 forum...which is back up, and have mentioned here also. Elephas has an old thread on it too...still has his with an Illusion.

The srd 7+ amp journey is so big in terms of the amps that can being used that it seems everyone settles on the best they have right now, so there are many opinions on which are the good ones, and no real consensus.

The Ori dac is a good one, but the Stax earspeakers love the source so further improvements will improve the sound. Right now the Lavry DA10 and the Pico serve me well.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #9,087 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that my stax 252 has a hum that i can hear on the 202s even though the unit is unplugged. If I hold the 252s casing with my hands, the hum goes away. Is there any way I can permanently get rid of this hum?

I never had this issue with my SRM-212, nor did my father have it with his.

I did have it intermittently with the Koss /E.9 box combined with a Quad 33 Preamp and 303 power amp, then the /E.9 sort of asploded. Horrible headphones those ESP9, although they did show me the light.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #9,088 of 24,807
Man. I don't know if it is the amp or the dac. Maybe I just am not used to this sound. It is probably just the sound of the Ori. I know that he designed it for a long term non-fatiguing sound. I got it, believe or not, for long gaming sessions as much as for music. lol

Think about it though. If you are hearing gunfire for 2 hrs, wouldn't you rather have it presented in a way that doesn't give you a headache?

Btw my Pop Pulse amp is very little known but extraordinary in regards to speed and detail for the $$. Damn smooth sounding combo with the Ori. I don't know if the Dared 5 would be an improvement as much as just a different sound.

lol

I need two dacs and two amps to roll for my Stax. Screw tubes. I will switch whole setups!

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #9,089 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never had this issue with my SRM-212, nor did my father have it with his.

I did have it intermittently with the Koss /E.9 box combined with a Quad 33 Preamp and 303 power amp, then the /E.9 sort of asploded. Horrible headphones those ESP9, although they did show me the light.

could be an issue with our power here in the Philippines... Unplugging the power strip where my TV and subwoofer is plugged into made s significant drop in the hum level

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #9,090 of 24,807
Quote:

Man. I don't know if it is the amp or the dac. Maybe I just am not used to this sound. It is probably just the sound of the Ori. I know that he designed it for a long term non-fatiguing sound. I got it, believe or not, for long gaming sessions as much as for music. lol

Think about it though. If you are hearing gunfire for 2 hrs, wouldn't you rather have it presented in a way that doesn't give you a headache?

Btw my Pop Pulse amp is very little known but extraordinary in regards to speed and detail for the $$. Damn smooth sounding combo with the Ori. I don't know if the Dared 5 would be an improvement as much as just a different sound.

lol

I need two dacs and two amps to roll for my Stax. Screw tubes. I will switch whole setups!

I have heard the Pop Pulse and it was nice, with the TC7510 as the source...did not hear it on my Stax system tho.
Screw Tubes....no, a gentle rocking side to side as you push in
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back