The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #9,061 of 24,807
I have a couple of srd7 mkII SB's one of which i was planning on tweaking and the other in daily use with my amp do you think this would be up to the job of driving the o2's? I suppose I could always sell my srd7's and some other gear to help fund a 717 plus i've just moved back to using my normal bias lambda's more than my pro's. I'm a bit of a hoarder and I hate the idea of selling any of it.

Atm there still seem to be two camps one for the o2 and one for the 717 but if you had to choose which would it be?

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #9,062 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of srd7 mkII SB's one of which i was planning on tweaking and the other in daily use with my amp do you think this would be up to the job of driving the o2's? I suppose I could always sell my srd7's and some other gear to help fund a 717 plus i've just moved back to using my normal bias lambda's more than my pro's. I'm a bit of a hoarder and I hate the idea of selling any of it.

Atm there still seem to be two camps one for the o2 and one for the 717 but if you had to choose which would it be?

If you have heard the O2 and like them, I would go that route. Your SRD-7 mk2 with any decent amp should be fine. Make sure to get a mk1 not a mk2. I have used the O2 with a SRD-7 Pro with good results.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #9,063 of 24,807
cheers audiod,

I think the hunt will be on from christmas for a mark one omega.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9,064 of 24,807
Dec 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #9,066 of 24,807
What's the best amp for my Lambdas? I have decided that is my next purchase. Or Sigmas, dead or alive. ]

Are there any mods for the lambda?

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #9,067 of 24,807
Spritzer has a "no fiber-glass" mod, I tried it and it boosted the bass a lot, but then it was too.... boomy. So I restored it back
redface.gif

SRM-1/MK2 seems to be quite cheap now-a-days, it should drive the Lambda well.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #9,068 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer has a "no fiber-glass" mod, I tried it and it boosted the bass a lot, but then it was too.... boomy. So I restored it back
redface.gif

SRM-1/MK2 seems to be quite cheap now-a-days, it should drive the Lambda well.

Yeah I did that one already. I prefer the sound personally but with my setup it is fine. My Dac is pretty mid centric though. Not a ton of bass slam but tuneful detail by the bucketful.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #9,069 of 24,807
I was advised not to leave the O2 "playing in free air" (i.e. when they are not on a head or tapped tightly by something) and to always turn the volume down to zero before both putting them on and taking them off. What is the rationale behind that?

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #9,070 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was advised not to leave the O2 "playing in free air" (i.e. when they are not on a head or tapped tightly by something) and to always turn the volume down to zero before both putting them on and taking them off. What is the rationale behind that?

None what so ever. It's an old myth that the mylar gets stretched in some way by allowing them to play off the head but it is utter BS.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #9,073 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a link where spritzers no fiber glass mod is explained. I'm looking for the how and the why. yes I searched.

Not a mod really but you just have to open up the phones and remove the yellow glass wool that lines the back of the earcup. To open it up you have to lift up all four corners of the earpads and remove the screws underneath. Then the drivers and cable can be separated from the housing. Be careful with the cable though as the weak solder joints are prone to breaking.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #9,074 of 24,807
I noticed that my stax 252 has a hum that i can hear on the 202s even though the unit is unplugged. If I hold the 252s casing with my hands, the hum goes away. Is there any way I can permanently get rid of this hum?

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #9,075 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of srd7 mkII SB's one of which i was planning on tweaking and the other in daily use with my amp do you think this would be up to the job of driving the o2's?

Don't know the NAD 3020B. But I can verify that a nice speaker amplifier paired up with the SRD-7MK2 (I only know the non-SB unit) are a quite nice match for the O2.

My short impressions using the Signature 30.2 and β22 are that they lack a bit of the micro-details of direct driven amplifiers, but match it and more when it comes to control and punch. I could, and actually do, live happily with both ways.
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best amp for my Lambdas? I have decided that is my next purchase. Or Sigmas, dead or alive. ]

Are there any mods for the lambda?

The SRM-1/MK2 is a nice match for the Lambda's. So are the SRM-007t, but at ~2x the price..

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that my stax 252 has a hum that i can hear on the 202s even though the unit is unplugged. If I hold the 252s casing with my hands, the hum goes away. Is there any way I can permanently get rid of this hum?

Hook up the SRM-252 chassis to ground. That should take care of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back