The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #8,791 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... is there any difference between SR-007II and SR-007A ?
Maybe I did miss something.

Well, just minor differences.
* Housing color.
* Model name.

Ok, I am nitpicking..
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8,792 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer - the ESP950 you sold me take a few minutes to charge up, both symmetrically slow chargers. I assumed that was normal for them, since it's been like that from "day 1". They sound great once charged, but for the first 2-3 seconds there is no sound at all, then it starts getting louder and louder over the next 2-3 minutes like the volume knob is being slowly turned up.

Should I be worried?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to be worried since the Koss design is different from Stax. A couple of seconds to charge up can be normal but people were talking about hours which isn't normal unless you are talking about the old normal bias phones.

Interesting. My ESP950 is charged the very instance I plug them in. I am curious about this as well. This might confirm that newer models have lightly different drivers, or not
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #8,793 of 24,807
Well, seeing as how mine are APureSound re-cabled and modified, I don't want to lose the work by sending them in to Koss, especially if they sound great once they hit full volume after a few minutes.

Spritzer - what if instead of discharging them every time I am done using them and packing them away, I plug them into my SRD-7 Pro to stay charged up to be ready to use right away? Will that add parasitic capacitance and ruin them? Otherwise I'll just live with the slowish charging.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #8,794 of 24,807
Quote:

Well, seeing as how mine are APureSound re-cabled and modified, I don't want to lose the work by sending them in to Koss, especially if they sound great once they hit full volume after a few minutes.

Spritzer - what if instead of discharging them every time I am done using them and packing them away, I plug them into my SRD-7 Pro to stay charged up to be ready to use right away? Will that add parasitic capacitance and ruin them? Otherwise I'll just live with the slowish charging.

If you know a DIY'er in your area, you can remove the cable and send them in to Koss. Apparently the warranty still applies.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8,795 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. My ESP950 is charged the very instance I plug them in. I am curious about this as well. This might confirm that newer models have lightly different drivers, or not
biggrin.gif

Could also be the bias supply in the amps and the different load resistor Stax have used over the years. I never noticed this on the 717 but I have no idea what bias supply is in the GES and how it is configured.

Quote:

Since the real cause of the electret effect isn't know it's hard to speculate but if you have them charged up I'd have them under a good dustcover.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #8,796 of 24,807
Quote:

Could also be the bias supply in the amps and the different load resistor Stax have used over the years. I never noticed this on the 717 but I have no idea what bias supply is in the GES and how it is configured.

It has been this way with any amp, GES or SRM-1 Mk2 Pro or SRD-7 Pro. I guess it is time to try the stock Koss E9 amp.

Quote:

Since the real cause of the electret effect isn't know it's hard to speculate but if you have them charged up I'd have them under a good dustcover.

I always keep them inside a porous headphone bag, or in the case with the cord hanging out if plugged in.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #8,797 of 24,807
Are there any mods for the SRM-1/MK-2 other than rewiring the inputs? Does anyone know where to buy some quality silver core wire and low-mass female RCA connectors for the job?

Also, are there any mods for the SR-5NB? It seems like a promising phone
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #8,799 of 24,807
Got my normal Lambdas singing today! The Pop Pulse amp is a good match apparently. BIG bass! Smooth, fast, natural mmmmmmmmm good!

So my total system is :

Windows Media Loss less > X-FI elite pro modded w/ LM4562 $100 > Blue Dragon mini to rca I/C $75 > Pop Pulse T40i amp $140 > SRD-7 $100 > Lambda Normal bias $200 = $615 total.

Not bad sounding for that. When I get a better dac watch out!

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #8,801 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can ask Tachikoma regarding the modding of SR-5NB. I think his is a frankenSR-5NB now.

Heh, I've over-modded mine a bit, and now I think I need a new housing since I've screwed up the old one.

Thats also the main reason I wanted your SR-5NB, powertoold. But I've decided to wait till next year before buying anything... hopefully the AUD will have some semblance of value by then.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #8,802 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I've over-modded mine a bit, and now I think I need a new housing since I've screwed up the old one.

Thats also the main reason I wanted your SR-5NB, powertoold. But I've decided to wait till next year before buying anything... hopefully the AUD will have some semblance of value by then.

There is a normal SR-5 on ebay for $99 buy now, maybe they would ship to down under and you'd have a housing.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #8,803 of 24,807
I don't like the SR-5NB very much. I feel like the low bass is recessed compared to my Lambda Pros. When I'm listening to Krall on my Lambdas, I can hear a soft pillowy bass, but with the SR-5NB, I can't hear it. Also, why did Stax put that horrible plastic covering over the driver? Doesn't that mess with the sound a lot?

I wanted to figure out a way to remove the cover, but it's a large solid piece of plastic.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #8,804 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like the SR-5NB very much. I feel like the low bass is recessed compared to my Lambda Pros. When I'm listening to Krall on my Lambdas, I can hear a soft pillowy bass, but with the SR-5NB, I can't hear it. Also, why did Stax put that horrible plastic covering over the driver? Doesn't that mess with the sound a lot?

I wanted to figure out a way to remove the cover, but it's a large solid piece of plastic.

Hmm, what song should I cue up to listen for this in my SR-5NB?

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #8,805 of 24,807
If I'm not mistaken, that plastic is an integral part of the driver. The SR-5s are electret, not electrostatic, meaning they're more like orthos or planars than normal stats. This is a little out of my depth, but I'm reasonably certain that removing the plastic "cover" would render them useless.

It's not surprising that your SR-5NB aren't as good as your Lambda pros, though -- they aren't on the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back