The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #7,651 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sound familiar spritzer? I'm using an SRD-6, is this what people mean when they mean the transformers degrade bass? It's only really an issue in electronic music where there's inevitably a lot of low bass.

The hardest thing I tried them with is some classic rock but nothing like that rings any bells. I have quite a "few" headphones since these so they all start to blend together...
redface.gif
You may be overloading the drivers though as the limited D/S spacing will never output bass like a Pro bias phone.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #7,653 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I suppose my isos will not be replaced anytime soon
biggrin.gif
. How will a normal bias Lambda compare to my Beyer? More bass and treble I take it? This is the only other stat I have designs on...for now.

I'm not familiar with the concept of D/S spacing, what does that mean? Diaphragm/Strator?

The ISO's have their place but I would rate the normal bias Lambda above the T-50v1.

D/S is diaphragm to stator

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #7,655 of 24,807
Last month I bought an SRM-323 ( from Spritzer - thanks!) and an SR-303 from Japan.

My SR-007 funktions OK with the RM-323, but the SR-303 has a significant amount of noise (hum ?) when used with the SRM-323 as well as with my SRM-717.

When I ground the amps the noise from the SR-303 disappears and they play perfectly.

I then bought an SR-404 ( which has the same cable as the SR-007 ) and it functions flawlessly on both amps and without grounding. This is important to me, as the SRM-323/SR-404 is going to be used at changing locations.

I am now left with a new SR-303 and wondering what to do with it.

Any suggestions ?

cheers

Tom

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #7,656 of 24,807
Buy a Stax Sigma and get Yamasinc to change drivers so you are left with a Sigma/303 hybrid and a Lambda headphone as well.
Regarding hum - the Stax headphone amps appear to be supplied an unearthed mains lead. For safety reasons, I changed these to an earthed lead and have never heard hum even at full volume with any of my Stax headphones and either an SRM 717 or an SRM 1 Mk 2 Pro.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #7,658 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a Stax Sigma and get Yamasinc to change drivers so you are left with a Sigma/303 hybrid and a Lambda headphone as well.
Regarding hum - the Stax headphone amps appear to be supplied an unearthed mains lead. For safety reasons, I changed these to an earthed lead and have never heard hum even at full volume with any of my Stax headphones and either an SRM 717 or an SRM 1 Mk 2 Pro.

Thanks for the suggestion John.

We don´t have earthed mains in Denmark
mad.gif
So I have to run a wire into the garden and plant a copper rod.

We have 25% VAT. And coupled with shipping costs this rules out any major ping-pong shipping between EU and US.

I could always offer up the 303 as spare-parts
rolleyes.gif

cheers

Tom

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #7,659 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question:
Is there any problem if my SRM-727II is on for long periods (12-16 hours per day)?

Should not be any problem.
I run my SRM-007t for up to 16 hours a day and not experienced any problems. Just make sure not to block ventilation.

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #7,661 of 24,807
StaxEasyChairsetup04lowlevel.jpg

StaxEasyChairsetup04setupnear.jpg

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7,663 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful!

Question for the mob: Which is better suited for classical? Lambdas or Sigmas?

I find the Sigmas best for vocal/opera, the Lambdas best for orchestral.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #7,664 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note the highlighted portion of your post. It is not clear to me whether you will be re-cabling this one or not but the one I sold you was already re-cabled by Fitz if you did not already know this. Enjoy.

Yes, I had noted the recablng before I bought it. This seems to give them an added openess and sweetness compared to my old model. The phones you sold me are well-nigh in perfect condition and as type this I am listening to Die Valkure with them using my old Stax SRA 12S preamp/amp. I originally bought the amp to run low bias Sigma's but the SRXIII's are much more efficient and with the 350 Volt output from the amp, they show great dynamics. The missing bottom bass is not as bad as I feared and the phones can get the toes tapping with rock music. I am now contemplating fixing my spare SRA 12S which I had been cannibalizing for parts

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #7,665 of 24,807
Hi,

I'm proud to be a new member of the Stax OMII Mk1 club, courtesy of ShaolinRasta. I also picked up a nice SRM-T1S from spritzer. I was looking for something to connect the balanced outputs from my Cary CDP. I already had a SRM-T1 and a pair of 404's that I had picked up on Audiogon about a year ago.

Needless to say, these untrained ears are experiencing some very nice sounds.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, ultimately I'll be looking for something to better drive the OM's.

Like maybe the newest Stax tube amp designed for the OM's.

Life is good if a bit expensive.
biggrin.gif

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back