The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #7,621 of 24,807
Soon I won't have to worry if my amp is up to snuff.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #7,622 of 24,807
Are there 3 different colors available for SR007 Omega II? Black, silver, and the more standard lightish gold?

STXSR007B-Large.jpg

sr007.jpg

sr-007a.jpg

What's the best/cheapest place to get a new pair of Omega II?

Is the stock amp that come with the Omega II ok? Or better out there for the price?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #7,623 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there 3 different colors available for SR007 Omega II? Black, silver, and the more standard lightish gold?

http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/STXSR007B-Large.jpg
http://www.yamasinc.com/images/sr007.jpg
http://ebay.joynetcafe.com/images/stax/sr-007a.jpg

There are actually four (4) different SR-007 models.

1997-2007
* SR-007 -> Brown leather/cable and champagne housing (picture)
* SR-007BL -> Black leather/cable and champagne housing (picture of my pair)

2007-
* SR-007A -> Black leather/cable and silver housing (picture)
* SR-007MK2 -> Black leather/cable and black housing (picture)

The two models from the same time frame are identical apart from color.

Quote:

What's the best/cheapest place to get a new pair of Omega II?

"Best" -> May be a local dealer. Since you then can audition and handle them before buying. In addition you get a physical place where you can go back if you need warranty repairs or similar.
Cheapest -> Most probably PriceJapan or EIFL for new. And the FS forum, AudiogoN or eBay for used.

Quote:

Is the stock amp that come with the Omega II ok?

The SR-007A and MK2 can be bought with both the SRM-727 or SRM-007t, in their corresponding A or MK2 model. I have heard neither of them. But are very pleased with my SRM-007t as a pair for the SR-007BL.

Quote:

Or better out there for the price?

That depends on personal preference. But imo no...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #7,624 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2007-
* SR-007A -> Black leather/cable and silver housing (picture)
* SR-007MK2 -> Black leather/cable and black housing (picture)

The two models from the same time frame are identical apart from color.

The SR-007A and MK2 can be bought with both the SRM-727 or SRM-007t, in their corresponding A or MK2 model. I have heard neither of them. But are very pleased with my SRM-007t as a pair for the SR-007BL.

If the two model from a give time period are identical, why is the corresponding amp models? Just to match the colors (but will work for either or?)?

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #7,625 of 24,807
Quote:

If the two model from a give time period are identical, why is the corresponding amp models? Just to match the colors (but will work for either or?)?

The "A" models are for the Japanese marked only. While the "MK2" are export (rest of the world). That goes for both the SR-007 and the amplifiers.
They are all interchangeable, except for the fact that the "A" amplifiers accept 100 volt main power input only. While the "MK2" amplifiers accept the native voltage in the country its sold in, be it 110 volt or 230 volt.

There were also two different colored amplifiers in the past. All black SRM-007t (like I have) for the SR-007BL and the regular champagne front/black chassis one for the SR-007.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #7,626 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "A" models are for the Japanese marked only. While the "MK2" are export (rest of the world). That goes for both the SR-007 and the amplifiers.
They are all interchangeable, except for the fact that the "A" amplifiers accept 100 volt main power input only. While the "MK2" amplifiers accept the native voltage in the country its sold in, be it 110 volt or 230 volt.

There were also two different colored amplifiers in the past. All black SRM-007t (like I have) for the SR-007BL and the regular champagne front/black chassis one for the SR-007.

so someone that likes the silver color of the sr007a better but live in the US should probably go with the sr007a with the mk2 amp (a "regular" voltage transformer might compromise the sound quality a little?)?

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #7,627 of 24,807
Quote:

so someone that likes the silver color of the sr007a better but live in the US should probably go with the sr007a with the mk2 amp (a "regular" voltage transformer might compromise the sound quality a little?)?

Right! Its always easier to handle a "native" main voltage amplifier, than going the route through a voltage transformer. That said, I don't know if a voltage transformer have any impact on the resulting sound quality.
The headphones are fully interchangeable though. So pick the one that suite your taste or wallet the most.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #7,629 of 24,807
There is a subtle degradation of the bass when using the transformers. Changing the mains input on the SR 717 was a piece of cake. Luckily it is just moving some jumpers practically next door to each other. Used a mosquito clamp from an old suture set...it was a snap. The jumpers are metal tubes shaped about the size of a fuse. Soldering would have been a chore as it it pretty tight back there.

My point of the srm1/mk2pro was that it is not "amazingly bad". If you are interested in the Omega 2 and can afford it, but can only invest about $2000, the srm1 would be good...just work on the source input/preamping seems to add to the fullness of the sound and a neutral DAC like the Lavry helps to bring out the upper mids and the trebles. The Sr 717 for under $1000 is in a sweet spot for the O2. As has been mentioned by those who have tried it...it drives the 02 very well and I must admit much better that the srm1, in all aspects of its sound. It even made the 303 sound fuller and smoothed out midrange tizz of the lambda pro. I have no doubt that the 02 will scale up with the custom amps...I do have my thoughts on the KGST...like among the dynamic headphones, you have to make a personal decision...is a Gilmore lite enough vs. getting the ECZD.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #7,630 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well unfortunately this is the going rate for Sigma pros.....but the one on agon looks like SR-Sigma, not pro. I think it has gray body, pro has all black body.

It is in fact a normal bias Sigma. I could just make out the middle pin on the plug.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #7,631 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro that I might be persuaded to part with at the CO regional meet this weekend. Bring cash.
cool.gif

Hrmm...interested....how much cash are we talking?

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #7,632 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sold a SRX-001 Mk3 normal bias and before I put into the box to ship I listened to it again. After listening I wondered if I had done the right thing it sounded so magical to me out of my T1S but it still would have been one to many headphones for me. Enjoy the SRX-001 Mk3 normal bias coming your way.

This will be the third such phone I have owned at various times. The first was sold more than 20 years ago to a friend who still has it. I got another one about a 1 1/2 years ago but which had a channel imbalance which I just made worse when I tried to fix it. I have high hopes for yours, especially with a new cable.

This is a classic "collectors" phone in that it is not that great for overall listening due to the lack of deep bass. As such it often sounds somewhat thin. However it has a remarkable ability to pull out detail, even better than any pro model I have heard, and I guess that's why these were used as monitor phones. Now and again I just want to hear what it can do on certain material.

I wonder if I can turn the old SRXIII into a pro model someday? The preferred mode appears to be to get the drivers from an old gamma pro.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #7,633 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be the third such phone I have owned at various times. The first was sold more than 20 years ago to a friend who still has it. I got another one about a 1 1/2 years ago but which had a channel imbalance which I just made worse when I tried to fix it. I have high hopes for yours, especially with a new cable.

This is a classic "collectors" phone in that it is not that great for overall listening due to the lack of deep bass. As such it often sounds somewhat thin. However it has a remarkable ability to pull out detail, even better than any pro model I have heard, and I guess that's why these were used as monitor phones. Now and again I just want to hear what it can do on certain material.

I wonder if I can turn the old SRXIII into a pro model someday? The preferred mode appears to be to get the drivers from an old gamma pro.

Note the highlighted portion of your post. It is not clear to me whether you will be re-cabling this one or not but the one I sold you was already re-cabled by Fitz if you did not already know this. Enjoy.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #7,634 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only way realistic way to do it is via a driver transplant from a Gamma Pro. It is possible to modify the original drivers with some specially made spacers but then the diaphragm is still 2um and modifying the drivers is a pain of epic proportions.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #7,635 of 24,807
One issue has certainly cropped up with my ET1000, fit and comfort. The pads are really thin, probably worn down from decades of use. My ears hurt when I take them off, same experience I have with a grado with fresh (not softened) pads.

Fit and seal is an issue too, not sure if that's by design or degradation. The headband is really loose so I end up readjusting it every time I wear them, and the front of the earpads kind of pop up when I wear them. I have to wear them further back on my head to get a decent seal, they fit just fine worn backwards oddly enough.

Are there any new pads I could replace mine with? If not I guess I could gank the slightly more supple ones off my NAD RP 18.

The sound is still lovely, though running test tones there's a weird sort of "mechanical" sound that crops up under 50hz. Pushing that up with eq creates some pretty weird artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back