The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7,606 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The days of bargain priced entry-level Stax on E-bay are long gone. It's a testiment to the quality and reliability of the early models that many try them even though you can buy some new units eg SR003 for the same or less.

Of course in some countries, such as the UK, prices are higher and this may look like a bargain by their reckining.

That particular SR-3 went for twice as much as the last 3, including one by the same seller. I recently bought an SR-3 with and SRD-5 for $115. In the spring, I bought a SR-Gamma for $125 and a Magnavox SR-3 clone for $1.50. Bargains are available.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #7,607 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a good cheap amp for OII MKII and SR-X MKIII that I can use until I get my Blue Hawaii SE? Because I just bought an SR-X MKIII too....damn the Stax curse!
tongue.gif

If I buy the MKII before I get the BHSE, I'll use my 323A. But in the words of Grawk, it will sound "amazingly bad."

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #7,608 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant was not that I was surprised, but that it is something we don't talk enough about, so when somebody listens to electrostats for the first time, they may have previously overlooked the treatment of vocals, and been surprised. We spend so much time talking about guitars, bass, and cymbals, that we overlook the vocals at times. I've seen vocals talked about in the music forum, but not too much in these parts.

Another aspect not commented on much is that the articulation of individual voices/instruments or speech is generally much better with stats. I think that opera is one of the most demanding types of material to record and play back well, and when you have 6 soloists and a chorus belting it out as in Lucia Di Lamermoor the ability to hear each part and even what they may be stating is one of the great benefits od stats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the reason for high prices for old Stax is in part based on the fact that many prefer how old Stax models sound. Norman bias SR-Lambda is a perfect example. I read on numerous occasions that it's still considers one the the best lambda models ever made.

A good point, I think the "collectors" (many from this site ) have moved into the old Stax market looking for their favorite oldie and pushing the prices up along the way.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #7,609 of 24,807
Quote:

Another aspect not commented on much is that the articulation of individual voices/instruments or speech is generally much better with stats. I think that opera is one of the most demanding types of material to record and play back well, and when you have 6 soloists and a chorus belting it out as in Lucia Di Lamermoor the ability to hear each part and even what they may be stating is one of the great benefits od stats.

Which reminds me: I still need to listen to "Because" on the Stax.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #7,610 of 24,807
This being my 1500th post, I had to make it in the Stax forum. I want to say that when I first came here several months ago, I never imagined that I would become part of the High-End crew so quickly. My wallet cringes, but my ears smile.

-Aaron

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #7,612 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I buy the MKII before I get the BHSE, I'll use my 323A. But in the words of Grawk, it will sound "amazingly bad."

It's beliefs like this that make certain people think that getting into the stax sound will mean that no less than a O2 mk1 or 2 and something beyond a maxed kgss is the only way to go. The SR 007 sounds pretty good using a srm1/mk2 pro, even underpowered, the 007 performs better than my prolines and the esw9....it is not "amazingly bad". Is the 323 really that bad of an amp? I did not get a chance to compare them, but the 323 outputs 400v, while the srm1mk2 outputs 370v so they will probably sound close. Even Headphoneaddict felt that the woo amp was only 15% better than the srm1/mk2 pro...yet costs 4 times as much.
The srm 717 that I just got outputs just 450v but really makes the SR007 the headphone that I had hoped it would be...
biggrin.gif

Everything has to be placed relative to a certain baseline that many just do not know where it is. I have been fortunate to be able to hear the Lambda sound and the Omega 2 sound from some good stax amps. And although the prices are going up, you can still get some good deals out there.

Just don't think that that sigma pro for $800 on a'gon is one of them
eek.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #7,614 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif

Well unfortunately this is the going rate for Sigma pros.....but the one on agon looks like SR-Sigma, not pro. I think it has gray body, pro has all black body.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #7,615 of 24,807
Last Sigma pro I could find on the FS, was asking $600 and it didn't sell, I recently emailed the owner...but he wasn't interested in selling. the last normal bias Sigma on ebay went for $350. The OBO is the key on that one...it is difficult to tell the body color...doesn't have that super light gray of a normal bia, but its a dark pic. I thought we were talking "good deal"

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #7,616 of 24,807
Quote:

Your 1500th post could have been more monumental if you had made it to coincide with something else, like a gear purchase or something...
wink.gif

I've had a pretty successful run of late, so perhaps I will be making another gear purchase soon. You and boomana just had to go and get the O2 early, didn't you!

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #7,617 of 24,807
Quote:

A good point, I think the "collectors" (many from this site ) have moved into the old Stax market looking for their favorite oldie and pushing the prices up along the way.

I just sold a SRX-001 Mk3 normal bias and before I put into the box to ship I listened to it again. After listening I wondered if I had done the right thing it sounded so magical to me out of my T1S but it still would have been one to many headphones for me. Enjoy the SRX-001 Mk3 normal bias coming your way.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #7,619 of 24,807
Quote:

What's a good cheap amp for OII MKII and SR-X MKIII that I can use until I get my Blue Hawaii SE? Because I just bought an SR-X MKIII too....damn the Stax curse!
tongue.gif

I have an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro that I might be persuaded to part with at the CO regional meet this weekend. Bring cash.
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #7,620 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's beliefs like this that make certain people think that getting into the stax sound will mean that no less than a O2 mk1 or 2 and something beyond a maxed kgss is the only way to go. The SR 007 sounds pretty good using a srm1/mk2 pro, even underpowered, the 007 performs better than my prolines and the esw9....it is not "amazingly bad". Is the 323 really that bad of an amp? I did not get a chance to compare them, but the 323 outputs 400v, while the srm1mk2 outputs 370v so they will probably sound close. Even Headphoneaddict felt that the woo amp was only 15% better than the srm1/mk2 pro...yet costs 4 times as much.
The srm 717 that I just got outputs just 450v but really makes the SR007 the headphone that I had hoped it would be...
biggrin.gif

Everything has to be placed relative to a certain baseline that many just do not know where it is. I have been fortunate to be able to hear the Lambda sound and the Omega 2 sound from some good stax amps. And although the prices are going up, you can still get some good deals out there.

eek.gif

You are forgetting that I have a 3 yr old prototype that is not up to snuff vs todays current model's sound, and it has the not so good Electro Harmonix 12ZX7 in it. I just bought some upgraded 12BZ7 tubes, and I am about to spend an additional $600-750 to get an upgraded amp, and add a spare normal bias jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back