The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #7,591 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured there might be an issue with attentuating the volts after the tranformation from 580 to 240 volts on the bias

looks like i'll have to get out of my chair
tongue.gif

Thanks Spritzer - the font of all electrostatic knowledge
biggrin.gif

One thing you could do is get a cheap speaker volume control, which is basically a huge volume pot and put it before the SRD-7. I have no idea who would sell one but I've seen them in use from time to time.

Btw. That bit about the bias made no sense. The bias is produced from AC in the bias supply and it is always a constant. What does change is the voltage on the stators which is stepped up in the transformers.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #7,592 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing you could do is get a cheap speaker volume control, which is basically a huge volume pot and put it before the SRD-7. I have no idea who would sell one but I've seen them in use from time to time.

Btw. That bit about the bias made no sense. The bias is produced from AC in the bias supply and it is always a constant. What does change is the voltage on the stators which is stepped up in the transformers.

I thought bias was dc and was constant but at either 240 or 580 volt dependant on whether the phones are pro or normal bias but only a few milliamps - I think i need to read some stuff again so i'm clear.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7,593 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought bias was dc and was constant but at either 240 or 580 volt dependant on whether the phones are pro or normal bias but only a few milliamps - I think i need to read some stuff again so i'm clear.

That is correct but the amp has no bearing on the bias and it isn't tied to the volume level. You can use the drive voltages to generate the bias as is done in the SB units but it acts just like the AC voltage from a wall.

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #7,595 of 24,807
Jul 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #7,596 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRM-727II. But it's the headphones not the amp.
In fact I don't feel any burn-in effect. If there is some it's minimal.
I'm waiting the 500hrs point (as the guy from STAX USA told me). The high-end is near.
biggrin.gif

Makes sense...mine are opening up nicely!!

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #7,598 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing I would say.
I went straight from iPod and Grado SR80 to Electrocompaniet ECD1, SRM-007t and SR-007BL. Smartest move ever imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx, THAT'S what my wallet was waiting for ...!

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #7,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with going straightly to the top?
smily_headphones1.gif
It only saves money
very_evil_smiley.gif

That's what I'm thinkin'. Occasionally people who took the Hard Road look at you funny, like THEIR dues oughtta affect YOUR hearing ... but that's about it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #7,600 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx, THAT'S what my wallet was waiting for ...!

You're most welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #7,601 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, thats certainly on the expensive side.

The days of bargain priced entry-level Stax on E-bay are long gone. It's a testiment to the quality and reliability of the early models that many try them even though you can buy some new units eg SR003 for the same or less.

Of course in some countries, such as the UK, prices are higher and this may look like a bargain by their reckining.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #7,603 of 24,807
My Beyerdynamic ET-1000 came today, it's quite clear and graceful. It's my first stat though I've listened to some orthodynamics, there's this unique sense that everything is seperated into it's own section without any blurring between instruments.

I'm also quite satisfied with the bass response, I was expecting something totally puny. It's a bit less impactful than my K400, but there is certainly some good punch to drums.

My only worry is the warnings about damage from listening too loud, I'm scared if I listen at my usual levels I'll destroy it. How loud can these go before there's risk of damage? I should probably be more concerned about damage to my eardrums but meh
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #7,604 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The days of bargain priced entry-level Stax on E-bay are long gone. It's a testiment to the quality and reliability of the early models that many try them even though you can buy some new units eg SR003 for the same or less.

Of course in some countries, such as the UK, prices are higher and this may look like a bargain by their reckining.

I think the reason for high prices for old Stax is in part based on the fact that many prefer how old Stax models sound. Norman bias SR-Lambda is a perfect example. I read on numerous occasions that it's still considers one the the best lambda models ever made.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7,605 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Beyerdynamic ET-1000 came today, it's quite clear and graceful. It's my first stat though I've listened to some orthodynamics, there's this unique sense that everything is seperated into it's own section without any blurring between instruments.

I'm also quite satisfied with the bass response, I was expecting something totally puny. It's a bit less impactful than my K400, but there is certainly some good punch to drums.

My only worry is the warnings about damage from listening too loud, I'm scared if I listen at my usual levels I'll destroy it. How loud can these go before there's risk of damage? I should probably be more concerned about damage to my eardrums but meh
biggrin.gif

You are running a higher bias then it was designed for and there is no protection circuit on the phones but you will be fine on any sane levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back