The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #7,576 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't found anyone interested. The problem appears to be that the Stax 5/6-conductor pin config is rare enough in HeadphoneLand that no one has found it economical yet to invest in making a product with a sufficiently professional appearance/performance/reliability. Anyone have a different experience?

Alex from APureSound mentioned he was working on an electrostatic headphone cable. You might want to shoot him a PM or email
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #7,577 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex from APureSound mentioned he was working on an electrostatic headphone cable. You might want to shoot him a PM or email
smily_headphones1.gif

Grazie Covenant, will do!

-Tim

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #7,578 of 24,807
Somebody do a noob a favor and gimme 50 words on why I should spring 4+ large to replace my 303/323ii rig ... before Yama's (or TTVJ?) quits taking orders for the day ...

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7,579 of 24,807
Quote:

Somebody do a noob a favor and gimme 50 words on why I should spring 4+ large to replace my 303/323ii rig ... before Yama's (or TTVJ?) quits taking orders for the day ...

w/ the OII/tube, that is ...

TIA,

-Tim

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #7,580 of 24,807
Quote:

Anyone feel that we're lacking in any regard by not being able to spend thousands on cables that block interference from alien spacecraft?
-Tim

If it makes you feel any better, wrap your cable in aluminium foil.

Quote:

I'll do it in one word. Don't. There's so much more to the stax world than just the starter SR-303 and the top of the line O2.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #7,581 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it makes you feel any better, wrap your cable in aluminium foil.

A most wise (if somewhat unexpected) response, in line with my own preferences. Therefore, I choose to agree. :wink:

I'll do it in one word. Don't. There's so much more to the stax world than just the starter SR-303 and the top of the line O2.

Again, a vastly more considered (and considerate) response than I had any right to expect. Apologies for my impatience, and great thanks, to Tachikoma and the list. My accelerating decrepitude requires acquiring the O2 before fully appreciating its development via full exposure to the earlier product lines. Cross your fingers that my appreciation for the O2 isn't consequently stunted. I greatly value all y'all's impressions previously reported here.

TIA,

-Tim

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #7,582 of 24,807
Thanks so much for that review. I owned the 650s for a long time, among several other phones, and I have heard in detail most notable dynamic phones in production as of a few years ago. Needless to say, I grew steadily dissatisfied with all of them, and all their problems.

In light of my current work, maybe I should start designing a field coil headphone? JayKay... really. don't hold your breath on this one!

There are some great dynamic phones out there, but now, I am on the long search for an electrostat (or two) that is worthy of building a killer DIY amp for. Maybe in a year, Ill have a system.

Yes, a basic comparo between the lambda pro and the 404 and the 303 would be very nice to read, but really, no worries on the time. Thanks so much for the efforts!

-Clark

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #7,583 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's wrong with going straightly to the top?
smily_headphones1.gif
It only saves money
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #7,584 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with going straightly to the top?
smily_headphones1.gif
It only saves money
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nothing I would say.
I went straight from iPod and Grado SR80 to Electrocompaniet ECD1, SRM-007t and SR-007BL. Smartest move ever imo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #7,585 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give quick and dirty impressions:

Thank you very much, you've been very kind and precise.

Did you buy it from PriceJapan? After how much time did it arrive?

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #7,586 of 24,807
So here i am swamped with piece of kit. My desk looks like a electronics graveyard. I have a ps1 (due for a psu mod) 2 srd7's, an srd 4, a fantastic nad 3020b amp and a zero dac (due for a new transformer), computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, dip chip puller, screwdrivers etc etc etc....

I want to tidy my system and put all the stuff onto a shelf above my desk out of the way but before i do i want to keep one of the srd'7 on the desk as my headphone output. Now being a lazy sod and not wanting to exert myself by standing up to adjust the volume would it be viable to swap out the earspeaker loudspeaker switch for a pot?

What im thinking is rather than on off, i could put in a stereo pot connected to the left and right connectors for the stax headphone out prior to the point where it changes voltage to the pro and normal connectors this way i can move everything where i want and just run some decent speaker cable from the nad to the srd?

What do you guys think? Is this viable and if so what type of pot would your recommend? With my current setup if i control attenuation via the Nad's pot or the Zero Dac Pot i cant put the volume above about 10 o'clock before it is just too loud to listen to.

This would allow me to clear my desk mostly and find a use for the front of the srd - i don't use speakers anymore so the switch is currently just an on off for me.

Thanks.

btw. i know this is more of a diy thing but due to the volts etc on electrostats i thought you guys would be more likely to have an idea.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #7,588 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here i am swamped with piece of kit. My desk looks like a electronics graveyard. I have a ps1 (due for a psu mod) 2 srd7's, an srd 4, a fantastic nad 3020b amp and a zero dac (due for a new transformer), computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, dip chip puller, screwdrivers etc etc etc....

I want to tidy my system and put all the stuff onto a shelf above my desk out of the way but before i do i want to keep one of the srd'7 on the desk as my headphone output. Now being a lazy sod and not wanting to exert myself by standing up to adjust the volume would it be viable to swap out the earspeaker loudspeaker switch for a pot?

What im thinking is rather than on off, i could put in a stereo pot connected to the left and right connectors for the stax headphone out prior to the point where it changes voltage to the pro and normal connectors this way i can move everything where i want and just run some decent speaker cable from the nad to the srd?

What do you guys think? Is this viable and if so what type of pot would your recommend? With my current setup if i control attenuation via the Nad's pot or the Zero Dac Pot i cant put the volume above about 10 o'clock before it is just too loud to listen to.

This would allow me to clear my desk mostly and find a use for the front of the srd - i don't use speakers anymore so the switch is currently just an on off for me.

Thanks.

btw. i know this is more of a diy thing but due to the volts etc on electrostats i thought you guys would be more likely to have an idea.

You could put a pot instead of the switch but it makes no sense to attenuate after the signal has been amplified. A normal pot would never do and I don't know where you would find a high power log pot as it needs to be able to dissipate quite a lot of heat.

There is no voltage change for the Pro and Normal bias outputs as the bias is completely independent of the drive voltages generated in the transformers.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #7,589 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could put a pot instead of the switch but it makes no sense to attenuate after the signal has been amplified. A normal pot would never do and I don't know where you would find a high power log pot as it needs to be able to dissipate quite a lot of heat.

There is no voltage change for the Pro and Normal bias outputs as the bias is completely independent of the drive voltages generated in the transformers.

I figured there might be an issue with attentuating the volts after the tranformation from 580 to 240 volts on the bias

looks like i'll have to get out of my chair
tongue.gif

Thanks Spritzer - the font of all electrostatic knowledge
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7,590 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 160~ hours and things are opening up...what amp are you using??

SRM-727II. But it's the headphones not the amp.
In fact I don't feel any burn-in effect. If there is some it's minimal.
I'm waiting the 500hrs point (as the guy from STAX USA told me). The high-end is near.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back