The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #7,561 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The highs improved the most with burn-in, in my experience (a NOS SR-Xmk3). There's still some way to go before it will compare with any of my other headphones though...

My experience with both electrostatic phones and speakers is that most of the difference is in the lower frequencies. When a electrostatic is new the diaphragm is quite taut. When the diaphragm is too taut it raises the fundamental resonance and gives a upper bass lower midrange congestion. After break in the tension in the diaphragm will settle down and stabilize. The bass becomes deeper and the congestion disappears. This is most noticeable on the O2 & O2II. Some companies like Martin-Logan use to put low frequency tones into their speakers (model CLS) to break them in before shipment.

It can also take some time for the high voltage bias to migrate over the entire diaphragm. I find this to be a longer process on speakers than headphones. The old Quad ESL can take days to come up to full charge. During this charging cycle all sorts of sonic anomalies can occur. Also full efficiency isn’t realized until a full charge occurs.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #7,562 of 24,807
Well, it's been a great many months since I last posted on head-fi, and I'm sad to say that my beloved Stax gear hasn't had much of a workout at all in that time. For a myriad of reasons, I've pretty made a complete switch over to speakers, which just fit my lifestyle these days so much more than headphones do.

I figure on selling off all of my headphone gear over the next week or so, but thought that the folks who read and post on this thread should get the first opportunity at snagging some of it. I'd really like for the stuff to find happy homes with owners who will give the equipment the use it deserves. Anyone who's interested should PM or email me.

I've already made arrangements with a respected headfier for a new home for the KGSS DX, and have disbursed all the cans to others. All I've got left are misc accessories like a FidAudio Quintete 3-input/2-output switchbox and a PS Audio UPC-200 unit. Already sold are my O2 mk1's in near-mint condition, a pair of Lambda Pro's in very good condition (w/ typical missing foam), SR-X mkIII w/ SRD-7, Stax extension cable (pro bias), and Stax wooden headphone stand.

It's been a real pleasure hanging out here with my fellow Staxheads over the years. Things change, as do people, so this is pretty much where my headphone journey ends...stick a fork in me, I'm done. Where do I turn in my Stax membership card?

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #7,563 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta
Well, it's been a great many months since I last posted on head-fi, and I'm sad to say that my beloved Stax gear hasn't had much of a workout at all in that time. For a myriad of reasons, I've pretty made a complete switch over to speakers, which just fit my lifestyle these days so much more than headphones do.

Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand it's always nice when people discover new paths on their journey.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #7,564 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fpsoft1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, i meant differences between Sennheiser HD650 and Stax SRS3050 System. aaron313 told me that he would write a review.

Yes, I would be very interested to read this. I posted before incorrectly, but in my visit to the "akiba" store in Tokyo last weekend, (and now this weekend), the 303 was MIA. it was actually two different pairs of 202 that were there. I politely and quickly put both of them down in favor of the other stax phones. They were nice, but not it for me.

I have seen that some people prefer the 303 to the 404? very interesting. why? (I have not yet heard the 303, so it is only curiousity.)

Also, Re: changing from headphones to speakers? Well, this happens for some people. I think that both types of systems have their place...

-Clark

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #7,565 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The bass becomes deeper and the congestion disappears. This is most noticeable on the O2 & O2II. ...

My Omegas Mk2 have about 200hrs and they just do not reproduce deep bass (roughly 25Hz and below). I don't believe it's a burn-in issue.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #7,566 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Omegas Mk2 have about 200hrs and they just do not reproduce deep bass (roughly 25Hz and below). I don't believe it's a burn-in issue.

It's due to the port, the same as with all port loaded speakers. Plug the port and the bass is returned but they aren't as good as the Mk1.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #7,567 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have about 160~ hours and things are opening up...what amp are you using??

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #7,568 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fpsoft1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, i meant differences between Sennheiser HD650 and Stax SRS3050 System. aaron313 told me that he would write a review.

I'll give quick and dirty impressions:

Speed: Stax wins by a factor of 10. 650 is like an 18-wheeler, and 303 is like a motorcycle.

Highs: Stax by a mile. Crystal clear and nicely filled out. Perhaps borderline sibilant in some cases, whereas there is absolutely no sibilance in the 650. Recording dependent.

Mids: Stax wins here, but 650 is no slouch.

Bass: Stax again, but the bass is nothing like the 650's. Very tight and controlled and accurate. Only thing is that it does not hit tremendously hard. It hits hard enough for me, though. The 303 is certainly no K701, but it's not a Darth Beyer.

Texture of sounds: Stax destroys the 650. Subtleties in vocals are unmatched by the 650. This might be one of the most unexpected and underrated qualities of electrostatics.

Imaging: Stax by far. Sounds are distinctly located, whereas an improperly driven 650 lets the sounds blend together in space. Properly driven, the 650 has good imaging. Maybe the most noticeable thing for me is that the Stax places the vocalist in his/her own zone, dead center generally (where it's supposed to be). There is a clear demarcation between the vocals and the instruments.

Soundstage: Stax has a wider soundstage, more comparable to the K701, while the 650 has a fairly narrow stage.

Comfort: Both are world-class in this regard.

Overall: The 303 is pretty much the opposite of the 650, and is superior to my ears in every way (imo). The 3050 system is a tremendous value at $900, purchased from Japan. I can only imagine how great the 303 sounds out of a KGSS or BH. This is a great introductory electrostat, and makes it obvious why Stax calls their products "earspeakers," as opposed to headphones.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7,569 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a myriad of reasons, I've pretty made a complete switch over to speakers, which just fit my lifestyle these days so much more than headphones do...It's been a real pleasure hanging out here with my fellow Staxheads over the years. Things change, as do people, so this is pretty much where my headphone journey ends...stick a fork in me, I'm done. Where do I turn in my Stax membership card?

Glad you've found your niche in HiFi listening and doubly glad you got to enjoy some great electrostat sound as part of your journey.

Best wishes on your continuing journey, which sounds as if it will be less focussed on the equipment and more focussed on the diversity of recordings and music styles out there to be relished.
biggrin.gif

P.S. If you read the fine print on the membership card you'll see the word 'lifetime' written next to the word 'membership'. i.e. we know we'll see you around again so hang onto the card.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #7,571 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey aaron313,

If you have the time, could you write something up like what you just did except between the SR-Lambda Pro and SR-303?

I want to know what I'm going to be missing out on.
wink.gif

That'll take a bit more time.

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #7,572 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Texture of sounds: Stax destroys the 650. Subtleties in vocals are unmatched by the 650. This might be one of the most unexpected and underrated qualities of electrostatics.

"Unexpected"? While I agree with your findings, it is completely and utterly expected that the extremely low-mass 'stat diaphragm will much better track tiny, micro-fluctuations and micro-dynamics and uncover the "texture" that's oh so often buried under the...you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #7,573 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Unexpected"? While I agree with your findings, it is completely and utterly expected that the extremely low-mass 'stat diaphragm will much better track tiny, micro-fluctuations and micro-dynamics and uncover the "texture" that's oh so often buried under the...you know
smily_headphones1.gif

What I meant was not that I was surprised, but that it is something we don't talk enough about, so when somebody listens to electrostats for the first time, they may have previously overlooked the treatment of vocals, and been surprised. We spend so much time talking about guitars, bass, and cymbals, that we overlook the vocals at times. I've seen vocals talked about in the music forum, but not too much in these parts.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #7,575 of 24,807
I have recabled all of my dynamic cans, with generally positive results. I've made a few inquiries with the usual suspects (e.g., Moon Audio) re recabling Stax. Haven't found anyone interested. The problem appears to be that the Stax 5/6-conductor pin config is rare enough in HeadphoneLand that no one has found it economical yet to invest in making a product with a sufficiently professional appearance/performance/reliability. Anyone have a different experience? Anyone feel that we're lacking in any regard by not being able to spend thousands on cables that block interference from alien spacecraft?

TIA,

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back