The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #271 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess I have to read more of the differences between single-ended and balanced signaling.
tongue.gif

Thanks!

All balanced signals are is two near-identical single ended signals that are in opposite phase from each other.

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #272 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All balanced signals are is two near-identical single ended signals that are in opposite phase from each other.

I sort of knew that. But thought there was something with common ground for single ended signals as well.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #273 of 24,807
Quote:

I sort of knew that. But thought there was something with common ground for single ended signals as well.

There is nothing inherant to single ended signals that requires a common ground for multiple channels. In fact, it's a really dumb idea. The reason headphones keep using those nasty RTS phone plugs is simply a matter of compatibility.

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #274 of 24,807
Quote:

There is nothing inherant to single ended signals that requires a common ground for multiple channels. In fact, it's a really dumb idea. The reason headphones keep using those nasty RTS phone plugs is simply a matter of compatibility.

Thanks! Then I have probably been misinformed, or remember wrongly.

I found what seems to be a great source of single-ended vs. balanced signal technology, which I will read and hopefully find useful: Balanced Line Technology

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #275 of 24,807
Quote:

I found what seems to be a great source of single-ended vs. balanced signal technology, which I will read and hopefully find useful: Balanced Line Technology

Although it's not really written from an audiophile's perspective, so things like the nulling of even-order harmonic distortion aren't covered.

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #276 of 24,807
Quote:

I thought the SRD-7 have a balanced construction.
Meaning that the left/right channels + and - signal pass trough, without being tied together. Am I wrong?

I just checked the SRD-7 and it does NOT tie the Left and Right grounds together. It sould be fine to use any mono amps on them. The Koss E/9 does tie the grounds together.

AudioD

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #277 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked the SRD-7 and it does NOT tie the Left and Right grounds together. It sould be fine to use any mono amps on them.

Thanks for clearifying!
Then its just as I thought, that the two mono amplifiers will not see and hence have to way to interfere with each other.

I used the word 'balanced' wrongly though...

Feb 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #278 of 24,807
Thanks, guys. Next time my friend and I get together, we'll try Lambda Pros on the Wave 8s and I'll report back. They sounded pretty good on a quick audition. I think I hear what the fuss is about, and the Wave 8 is a push-puller, not the now-preferred single-ended.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #279 of 24,807
Quote:

Andre,
Check out the pictures of the start of the ESP-9 project on page 9 of this thread.

I saw that originally and had another quick look just now. But the electronics will give me no problem. What attracted me about the second set of photographs is something that you may take for granted, but that I find very illuminating, how you used the other parts for pattern-cutting in the foam. It's little details like that, blindingly obvious when you see someone else do it, that can hold you up for half a day of frustration until you work out the right way to do it.

Quote:

I was told that the Jecklyn Float headphone used a rectangular RTR electrostatic element. I see some of these panels on eBay once in a while. I thought it would be interesting to make a "home brew" version of the Jecklyn using the RTR panels.

I thought of buying Stax replacement panel *assemblies* but making the film isn't actually as terrifyingly difficult as people make out. It just takes a little ingenuity and patience. Making your own allows you to experiment with the various elements you can alter, for instance the various distances between the elements. I have a router and an electric plane and the poly-something plastic (same stuff as waterpipes) I intend using for the layers and frames machines easily with those, including planing or sanding to any thickness required. I use water and gas pipes of that material in various diameters to knock up quick protos of big loudspeakers, up to the size of very substantial tapered horns, and the material is a pleasure to work with, to machine and to glue.

But it'll have to be on the backburner as I must do casework for my Stax-driver amp first, and the design grew two more tubes in the last week, and I'm wondering if I should put a 300B PP amp on there as well, so that I can switch seamlessly between listening to earspeakers and to floorstanding ESL. I'm trying to reduce the amount of gear I own and consolidating two functions would be a start...

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #280 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neil Peart?

The name rang a distant bell somewhere in the interstices of my cranium so I googled it and VOILA!

Could Head-Fi Stax-fan Neil be the Neil Peart who drummed for the famous rock band, Rush?

Sorry, but *this* is Head-Fi's NeilPeart
biggrin.gif
(sorry Leeav!):

IMG_1134.JPG

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #282 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable K1000s...now I've seen it all!
blink.gif

Next up, a portible Float Model 2 and Sennheiser Surrounder, driven balanced off a portible SDS-XLR.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #283 of 24,807
quick question all, would it be madness to accept an SRD-X when an SRD-7 would scarcely cost any more, assuming I've got the amp to put behind the seven? And can the SRD-X profitably be run off a better or higher voltage power supply than the wall wart it came with?

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #284 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quick question all, would it be madness to accept an SRD-X when an SRD-7 would scarcely cost any more, assuming I've got the amp to put behind the seven? And can the SRD-X profitably be run off a better or higher voltage power supply than the wall wart it came with?

You should probably stay with the input voltage of the wall wart. Mess with the voltage too much, and you'll start frying components. However, you can increase the amperage within reasonable constraints, since the amp will only draw the current it needs. The wall wart on the SRM-X I've got is 12v, 500 ma. I'm using a linear power supply of 12v, 3A. The extra power reserve adds some depth to the sound, which noticeably improves the amp.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #285 of 24,807
Quote:

Next up, a portible Float Model 2 and Sennheiser Surrounder, driven balanced off a portible SDS-XLR.

I was trading emails with RWA's Vinnie about his iMod and he said he had a customer who took his iMod, Sig 30 and K1000's to the lake and relaxed to the music.
k1000smile.gif

It really got me to thinking about a quality portable system.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back