The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2007 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24,807

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
By popular demand I'm starting a new thread for our discussions on all things Stax and electrostatic due to the unwieldily number of pages of that thread. This thread should be looked on as a direct continuation of the previous thread.

Keeping a broad scope with regards to subject matter has served us well up to now, so feel free to discuss anything related to Stax and electrostatic/electret headphones and their amplification in general.

Previous threads are here:
The Stax thread - Previous Stax thread
Long, meandering comparison of Stax 404 and Stax X-III, Episode I - Originally Lloyd's SR-X impressions thread, but basically got subverted into the Stax thread's predecessor

If you would like to nominate other threads to be added to this list by all means do so, but lets try to avoid listing every single thread that's ever mentioned Stax or electrostatics in the history of Head-fi.

That's the fine print out of the way, so everyone have fun.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 24,807
Yeah, I'm the second the post in a gonna-be-very-long-and-interesting thread
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by duderuud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm the second the post in a gonna-be-very-long-and-interesting thread
icon10.gif

We'll keep this one shorter than the previous one to prevent anyone getting RSI from excessant use of the scroll wheel.

Okay, to get the ball rolling there is an interesting discussion on 2channel currently about the difference in sound depending on whether the earpads seal or not. A chap was kind enough to offer these graphs of his 404, although he made pains to say that they shouldn't be considered especially accurate, particularly in the treble.

This is with the earpads lying flush:
vi7167627777gm1.png

And this is with a gap:
vi7167635731wb8.png

I'm not totally sure on the exact conditions under which the measurements took place but I found the results quite interesting.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 24,807
Interesting graphs. I've tried detaching my lambda pro drivers from the headband and holding them up to my ears like the K1000 drivers. It might be interesting for someone to build a K1000-like electrostatic headphone. One where you could swivel the drivers closer or further away from your ears.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting graphs. I've tried detaching my lambda pro drivers from the headband and holding them up to my ears like the K1000 drivers. It might be interesting for someone to build a K1000-like electrostatic headphone. One where you could swivel the drivers closer or further away from your ears.

How did this experiment sound ?

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did this experiment sound ?

Interesting. It works much like a K1000 works. As you swivel them too and from your head you can play with the headstage and overall sound. I'd be curious to have some sort of permanent setup that would allow me to actualy wear them and listen for an extended time to really judge them.

I've got a spare set of Lambda drivers...maybe I should put them to good use
lambda.gif
+
k1000smile.gif
=
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 24,807
Quote:

Interesting. It works much like a K1000 works. As you swivel them too and from your head you can play with the headstage and overall sound. I'd be curious to have some sort of permanent setup that would allow me to actualy wear them and listen for an extended time to really judge them.

lambda.gif
+
k1000smile.gif
=
tongue.gif

Something like that would be seriously trick. It'd make JaZZ's home made electrostatics look sane and normal by comparison.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 24,807
Feb 17, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 24,807
i'm so excited i can't contain myself

my first venture into electrostats is fast approaching

i am expecting delivery of my lambdas with srm-1/mk2 from new zealand that i scored on fleabay for a bargain (considering recent going prices anyway!)

i was thinking of going the SRM-323 with SR-404 but i believe this setup may be comparable and for much much less $$$

oh goodness... someone hold me

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i am expecting delivery of my lambdas with srm-1/mk2 from new zealand that i scored on fleabay for a bargain (considering recent going prices anyway!)

i was thinking of going the SRM-323 with SR-404 but i believe this setup may be comparable and for much much less $$$

Not only comparable but maybe better . Are they pro bias ?

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh goodness... someone hold me

Dinna matter where you start with Stax, you're starting near the top of earphones. Welcome to the wonderful world of clear sound.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 24,807
Quote:

lambda.gif
+
k1000smile.gif
=
tongue.gif

Tried same with Lambda Nova Basics - detached from headband and held carefully to avoid occluding backwards 'exhaust' from them. Tried all sorts of angles and volumes but must say I could not convince myself of any real out of head imaging improvement
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back