1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax thread (New)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by carl, Feb 17, 2007.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shipsupt
    Wow, I really am impressed at how complicated you guys are still making this!  Anyway...

Why don't you get rid of that kill-a-watt thing and just check the voltage from the transformer with your DMM.

Quote:

2. rgs9200m
    Thanks for the comments about the heat of KGSSs. By inboard/outboard does this refer to a separate power supply box?

3. shipsupt
    This refers to heat sinks.  There is a version with the heat sinks on the PCB's and one with them externally mounted.
    Quote:

4. rgs9200m
    OK, thanks again.

5. spritzer
    Quote:

Lack of demand was the major issue but also lack of parts.  Input and output devices were becoming scarce and the chassis simply looked out of place next to the other amps. 

Quote:

With no plug at the back you need to wire it, here is the setup. 

100v:
    Gray+White
    White wire from the  ACplug+Brown+Green

117v:
    Gray+White
    White wire from the AC plug+Blue+Purple

240v:
    Blue+White wire from the AC plug
    Purple+Gray

6. Tus-Chan

Why do these parts become scarce?

7. grawk
    because the primary use for them was tube tvs

8. SoupRKnowva
    Quote:

I left it playing for quite a few hours, and I think it got a teeny bit better.

I'm also trying to figure out a buzzing issue I am having in the left channel of my KGSSHV, this is the first time I have ever plugged headphones into it, you guys don't think the buzzing and the imbalance in the left channel could be related do you?

9. n3rdling
    isn't the kill a watt just reading the input voltage off the wall? use the dmm to read the output voltage of the step down transformer as suggested earlier.

10. miceblue
    ^ in that photo it is.

With the step down transformer plugged in, and with the Kill-a-Watt placed between that and the wall wart, it still measures at around 130 V, but yup I'll measure the transformer with the digital multi-meter when I get back home.

11. n3rdling
    Smallest "Stax" tube amp?

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u52613764

12. reiserFS
    I'm going to bid it on it just for the heck of it, looks p. neat.
    Quote:

13. DefQon
    Srd-6 modded with dual triodes eh?

14. dukeskd
    Quote:

I believe he just used the enclosure as I don't see any transformers. Looks neat!

15. miceblue
    Yup. Okay the step-down transformer works after all. Iono what's up with the Kill-a-Watt thing; it might be the third grounding plug that the transformer doesn't have.

Phew.

So I can finally say the Kashimura TI-101 step-down transformer works with North American voltages. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.