The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #24,196 of 24,807
Wow, I really am impressed at how complicated you guys are still making this!  Anyway...

Why don't you get rid of that kill-a-watt thing and just check the voltage from the transformer with your DMM.

Quote:
Well iono what's up. The Kill-a-Watt has a third ground plug thingamabob, but the voltage transformer doesn't have that socket. Would that affect the readings though?

100 V wall wart in "wall plug"

100 V wall wart in transformer

There's no way a 110-130 V to 110 V transformer would read ~130 V, right?

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #24,200 of 24,807
Quote:
Was there a reason Justin stopped building them?

Lack of demand was the major issue but also lack of parts.  Input and output devices were becoming scarce and the chassis simply looked out of place next to the other amps. 

Quote:
Hi dyna10x and Spritzers, and others. This is my first post, mainly as I haven't owned a decent pair of headphones for nearly 20 years (showing my age)! I have just acquired an SRM1/MK2 which sounds just like dyna10x's - no voltage plug, plastic cover over socket. Mine also is wired for 100V and I also need to convert to 240V. I'd be most grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

With no plug at the back you need to wire it, here is the setup. 

100v:
Gray+White
White wire from the  ACplug+Brown+Green

117v:
Gray+White
White wire from the AC plug+Blue+Purple

240v:
Blue+White wire from the AC plug
Purple+Gray

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #24,203 of 24,807
Quote:
What do you plan on doing to fix it?

I left it playing for quite a few hours, and I think it got a teeny bit better.

I'm also trying to figure out a buzzing issue I am having in the left channel of my KGSSHV, this is the first time I have ever plugged headphones into it, you guys don't think the buzzing and the imbalance in the left channel could be related do you?

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #24,204 of 24,807
isn't the kill a watt just reading the input voltage off the wall? use the dmm to read the output voltage of the step down transformer as suggested earlier.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #24,210 of 24,807
Yup. Okay the step-down transformer works after all. Iono what's up with the Kill-a-Watt thing; it might be the third grounding plug that the transformer doesn't have.

Phew.

So I can finally say the Kashimura TI-101 step-down transformer works with North American voltages. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back