The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #23,972 of 24,807
The HD800 on a good setup imo comes pretty close better than a good 90% of the Lambdas I've heard/owned but also comes off as a good sidegrade too. But you would need to spend the extra $$$. The HE-6 is the only ortho that I can give credit too of being very close to the 009 in some aspects of sound. The rest is all garbage including that new Abyss-mal headphone that I finally had the chance to hear.

This is overall sound not just treble extension.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #23,973 of 24,807
Quote:
^ Yeah I wasn't planning to use the SRS-2170 very much with the 100 V wall wart. Yesterday's session was basically for a test.

@ sachu

Considering I don't have a spare some $3000 USD lying around and I didn't like any of the planar magnetics, and other dynamic headphones from meets, I think the $650 I spent on the Basic STAX is quite worth the trouble. I've tried your MKI on the LL and although it was good, the Lambdas have a more lively/engaging sound that I prefer.

Not to mention the Lambdas are more comfortable to me and they're easier to put on/take off one's head.

Imo, the 007-9 have good aesthetics. I find it quite classy and pleasing to look at compared to the Lambda models. 

Something I think I could eventually afford (if I sold off all my gear for a set). Worth it for the design :), oh and of course the sound. 
Quote:

Ok, I give up on making the 202s work again. I'll be staying away from Yahoo Auctions/Ebay from now on. I'll stick to the official stores (Fujiya). Will prob be getting a used 407 from Fujiya. 

I'm worried that the 252A won't be able to power it sufficiently though... should I shell out more money? The 202 loss was already quite unexpected...so maybe I could conserve the money and just use that with the 407?

And how does the 407 fair? in general? with the Lambda line.

edit: Oh, how would I know if it's the SRM's fault, not the phones?

sigh... so depressed.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #23,974 of 24,807
You'll need another electrostatic headphone or amp to determine easily.  Otherwise you can use a multimeter and measure at the socket to at least see if the amp is working.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #23,975 of 24,807
Quote:
What the fak is "ham noise."

That SR-207 is pretty dang sexy if I may say.

These pleather pads aren't half bad actually. They're much more comfortable than I thought.

It's "Hum noise". In Japanese, their pronunciation of "a" is closer to how we'd pronounce "u" in most words, such as "bus". They phonetically spell "bus" as "basu". It is pronounced the same way though.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #23,976 of 24,807
Quote:
I'm worried that the 252A won't be able to power it sufficiently though... should I shell out more money? The 202 loss was already quite unexpected...so maybe I could conserve the money and just use that with the 407?

I like the way my 407 sounds with the 252 amp. A KGSSHV or BH would be better. Conserve now, pay more later.

The 407 is just a 507 without the crappy, complicated headband and leather pads.
It only cost 2/3 of what the 507 costs. To me, it sounds as good.

Do what n3rdling said.
smile.gif

sigh... so depressed.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #23,977 of 24,807
Quote:
Ok, I give up on making the 202s work again. I'll be staying away from Yahoo Auctions/Ebay from now on. I'll stick to the official stores (Fujiya). Will prob be getting a used 407 from Fujiya. 

sigh... so depressed.

DId you get channel imbalance at the start when you received them?

Definitely not the amp's fault this seem's to be the 202's. If you can let them continuously play and hopefully it cures itself (based on spritzers advice, recommendation and experience as the same he told me), then you're going to help a lot of folks including myself when we run into "temporary channel imbalance". 

A 252A will power the 407, just not to it's potential.

And yeah, as I told you while ago, I'am no longer buying used vintage gear from Yahoo Japan as well (except deals too good to pass on, pads, accessories, stands and NIB's amps/headphones). The last items I purchased from them left a sour taste to my experience, one being channel imbalance, amp stopped working, squealing noise out of the second 404 I bought but managed to fix it. Those Japanese sellers are never clear with descriptions and pictures of the items. Google translate also sucks arse and no returns is a PITA.

Don't sell off the 202 yet.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #23,978 of 24,807
To be fair, all of the initial request for Duncan to reformat were prefaced with a message like "I really appreciated the valuable content you provided but I struggled to read it".  People want to read what he has to say, that's why they care.
Quote:
Who cares if people can't read it or not Duncan gets straight to the point with his posts unlike a large percentagr here

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #23,979 of 24,807
TBH I figured duncan was just a guy from Hong Kong or something using google translate so I only bothered to read the first 4 or so words of his block posts.  Formatting makes a huge difference, even if you think it's caving into "the man" or whatever.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #23,980 of 24,807
Yeh his a posts can be a PITA to read it, but hey people will just to tell you to deal and get over  it like the amount of beats threads or best headphone for $xx threads from new posters. I keep thinking Duncan is Ben Duncan a diy'er from UK.

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #23,981 of 24,807
Quote:
TBH I figured duncan was just a guy from Hong Kong or something using google translate so I only bothered to read the first 4 or so words of his block posts.  Formatting makes a huge difference, even if you think it's caving into "the man" or whatever.

This more or less, except people from HK who speak English would know better, and people using Google translate are actually putting in some effort to make their posts easier to read. I think it's just inconsiderate.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #23,982 of 24,807
I've seen a bunch of discussion here about wall warts that come with Stax boxes not working on 120 VAC US current.

As far as I know, many (not all) switching power supplies really don't care what the input voltage is- they will work on 100v, 120v, 220v, 240v.... and they will regulate the output voltage as designed no matter what the input VAC is.

Not sure if the Stax wall warts are of this type, but you could check how well they regulate under load-  

By the way, I am taking up a collection to send ENTER keys to anyone who is too poor to afford one for their computer or tablet; PM me....

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #23,983 of 24,807
Quote:
You'll need another electrostatic headphone or amp to determine easily.  Otherwise you can use a multimeter and measure at the socket to at least see if the amp is working.

Quote:

Quote:

DId you get channel imbalance at the start when you received them?

Definitely not the amp's fault this seem's to be the 202's. If you can let them continuously play and hopefully it cures itself (based on spritzers advice, recommendation and experience as the same he told me), then you're going to help a lot of folks including myself when we run into "temporary channel imbalance". 

A 252A will power the 407, just not to it's potential.

And yeah, as I told you while ago, I'am no longer buying used vintage gear from Yahoo Japan as well (except deals too good to pass on, pads, accessories, stands and NIB's amps/headphones). The last items I purchased from them left a sour taste to my experience, one being channel imbalance, amp stopped working, squealing noise out of the second 404 I bought but managed to fix it. Those Japanese sellers are never clear with descriptions and pictures of the items. Google translate also sucks arse and no returns is a PITA.

Don't sell off the 202 yet.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll continue to plug in my 202s and see if any changes occur.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #23,984 of 24,807
Found the culprit to my SRM-1 MK1 amp problem. Cheers to duncan and Birgir for the help managed to solve this one myself tonight. Time to drown myself in some Heineken and order some jfets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back