The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #22,142 of 24,807
Quote:
LOL haha. Grokit vs his cat round 1...Fight!

Quote:
I recall this is the third time. I remember his cat chewed his He-6 twice I think 
bigsmile_face.gif

It's probably round two with the cat... the first time was indeed with the HE6 stock cable, no harm no foul because it was eventually replaced with a warranty exchange of the headphones. The second time was also with the HE6, but could have been one of the dogs... and I'm pretty sure I know which one. The second HE6 cable was aftermarket, a DHC Molecule that was wrapped in fabric sheathing...Peter was very nice about helping me out with it, but it still sucked big time.

As far as I can tell the cat isn't attracted to the cables with sheathing on them, he likes the plastic/vinyl type of insulation. The dogs OTOH aren't as particular... I have patched more than a few USB cables in my time but they took it to a new level with that 2nd HE6 cable. But with the 009 the cat is now firmly in the lead... Mitigation measures are now in place.

May 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #22,144 of 24,807
I am looking to modifya soon to arrive new unit 100V SRM006TS to 220V. In this thread page 985, post 147262, Plinden said he just had to resolder the missing wire and to jumper the board. Is it the same procedure as the 323 voltage mod? I can't seem to find the answer for the tube amp 006ts.
Here is his shot of his transformer

I don't have the amp yet, but the few shots of its guts didn't show this kind of transformer 0_o

May 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #22,145 of 24,807
Turns out I got two SRD-X Pro's, color me surprised.  Anyway, here is what it looks like on the inside:

Two of those modules with a switching PSU to generate the bias voltage (the tiny transformer is between the output transformers) in the middle make up the amp.  The output is then fed to the transformers on the right which step up the voltage.  They are nice enough and it would be cool to put that large battery bay to some good use. 

I must say though that I'm more impressed by this rare piece of Stax history:

It is rather nice. 
redface.gif

Quote:
CV-181-Z (or 6SN7) adapted to 6CG7 pins.

That would be my first source of problems, either the tubes or the adapters.  I also see very little sense is using regular GT 6SN7's in that amp, they are even worse than the 6CG7.  You need GTA's or GTB's with their better voltage handling. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #22,146 of 24,807
The Shuguangs have the same voltage handling specs as the GTA/GTB, so there's no real problem there. I noticed the same problem with another set of GTBs anyway.

I'll give the regular 6CG7s another go to see if that makes a difference. I still don't understand why an adapted tube would "sing" like that, what could possibly cause that?

Heh, I do remember seeing an SRA-14S on YJ a few weeks back. Is it any better than the SRM-1mk2? I remember Snake gushing about it once upon a time.

May 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #22,148 of 24,807
Hello Spritzer,

is it possible to use the SRA 14S with the ED-1 equalizer. Or am I only too stupid to get the right combination. I would like to ask for some help, because my main sources are phono and tuner and I want to use my ED-1 with these sources.

Regards Georg

PS: Have you the card for the CP-Y pickup? I'm really looking for that one:)) (I can swap any other card!)

May 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #22,149 of 24,807
Hello all,

rather new down there...I've a question on my SR-X Mk-III.
My father bought this one with an SR-5 and an SR-7/SB adapter (in 1979).
These two work nice (even if there are one or two cracks in the white plastic of the SR-5), but I have a problem with the SR-X Mk-III : at low-level, the sound is crackling (both cans, but not symmetric), and these interferences / crackles are modified by touching the cable.

I've opened the cans, obviously it looks like this :
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/images/8/8d/Stax_SR-XMk3_driver.jpg
Main difference : I have a kind of big black cap beetween yellow and green connector.

Last but not least, the very thin vinyl / faux-leather covering the earpads is gone, only a smooth cotton-like surface covering the foam is remaining.
Exactly like this one : http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/images/sr-x-mark-3/D3S_5002-0600.jpg

Any idea where the crackles do come from ? Should I try to get this headphone re-cabled ? Or are the drivers dead ?

Thanks.

Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back