The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #22,112 of 24,807
Speaking of compact little Stax amps, what's the story on the SRD-X? It seems like a cute little package, with line-level inputs and normal and high bias output jacks.

edit:

May 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #22,114 of 24,807
Quote:

Bad tubes?  Anode resistors failing and/or PSU resistors failing?

I found the same problem with different sets of tubes, so I don't think that's really it... plus the Shuguang tubes were practically new when I noticed the issue. Shouldn't the amp stop working by now if I've blown a resistor? I've been searching diyaudio for a while and found a couple cases of a "singing amp", but I think the problem in those cases were the caps.

May 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #22,115 of 24,807
Speaking of compact little Stax amps, what's the story on the SRD-X? It seems like a cute little package, with line-level inputs and normal and high bias output jacks.

Mmmm, I have one currently and it's a nice piece of work. Drains batteries like the dickens though (can somehow go through 40,000 mAh of current (unless my batteries are rated incorrectly) in about 25 hours of listening time).

It's a pretty decent step up from my SRM-Xh, which I think is great for an energizer.

May 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #22,116 of 24,807
Quote:

Mmmm, I have one currently and it's a nice piece of work. Drains batteries like the dickens though (can somehow go through 40,000 mAh of current (unless my batteries are rated incorrectly) in about 25 hours of listening time).

It's a pretty decent step up from my SRM-Xh, which I think is great for an energizer.

Ah thanks. I noticed one on the Bay with a wall-wart, 100v to 12v 44ma. Didn't know about the battery packs.

Looks like a good little setup for the Lambda Pro. I'm sure it sounds better off batteries but I do happen to have a very good 12v power supply.

May 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #22,118 of 24,807
I really wish my SRD-X had a line-in on the front like the SRD-P. Using the RCA-in in the back is a pain in the arse when you're walking around (had to cut a hole in a bag).

Didn't know about the battery packs.

It's not battery packs, but just (just! 
rolleyes.gif
) 8 C batteries. That's the big draw of the SRD-P and SRD-X; they can use batteries on the fly by design as opposed to by jerry-rig.

May 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #22,119 of 24,807
Well I can't buy anything right now because I have to spring for a new cable for my newly-acquired 009. It's going to cost me more than what I could sell my newly-restored lambda pro for. My cat attacked it. At least I think it was the cat. It could have been one of the dogs. But I'm pretty sure it was the cat.

If I could be positive I think I would strangle him with it
mad.gif

So I am very glad I got a USA model, although Stax USA doesn't know how much it will be yet as this will be their first 009 cable replacement. They do know that it will be significantly more expensive than an 007 cable, as the 009 cable is clad in silver. And the 007 cable is around $400. Before labor! A Lambda cable in comparison is $70, so the 009 cable will likely cost 10x as much. Again, before labor.

I was just starting to get my head around having these headphones. More like surrendering to them. They are so much more capable than anything I have heard to date, and at first I wasn't sure I wanted to go the rest of the way with them. You know, where they ruin you for all other head-borne transducers and you proceed to liquidate everything and rebuild around your new precious. Maybe like some of you, I should trade down to an 007 instead. At least then I could keep my system as it is, and still be able to listen to the rest of my headphones. The 009 has a way of making everything else sound bad...

When I discovered the damage, I was coming off a long day where I felt like I had really accomplished something for once. I was tired, but in a good mood and thought I would top it off with a listen to my new2me superduper headphones. So much for the good mood!

Maybe the cat was jealous. Maybe I should take it as an omen. All I know at this point is that I have at least a month to think about it, and I am starting to re-appreciate my LCD2 rev.1
cool.gif

May 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #22,121 of 24,807
It will be in its box or on my head at all times after it returns, that's for sure.

edit: the headphones, not the cat. But come to think about it...

May 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #22,122 of 24,807
It will be in its box or on my head at all times after it returns, that's for sure.

What if you fall asleep while it is on your head......

May 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #22,123 of 24,807
Quote:
Well I can't buy anything right now because I have to spring for a new cable for my newly-acquired 009. It's going to cost me more than what I could sell my newly-restored lambda pro for. My cat attacked it. At least I think it was the cat. It could have been one of the dogs. But I'm pretty sure it was the cat.

mad.gif

Ouch. That's why I got my cats a D7000 to play with rather than the stats.

May 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #22,124 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:

What if you fall asleep while it is on your head......

As long as he doesn't start his mating ritual I should be okay.

Quote:
Quote:

mad.gif

Ouch. That's why I got my cats a D7000 to play with rather than the stats.

I tried that! The D7K is bedside where he can have at it, but evidently my cat has more refined taste...

Either that or he knows that it's good to have the dogs around to share possible blame, as they can't get to the bedroom
evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back