The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #22,157 of 24,807
Quote:
SR-009 + KGSSHV = Heaven
biggrin.gif

Every time I see that amp's name, I always think that it's something Russian... what's the acronym mean? 
tongue.gif

May 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #22,162 of 24,807
May 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #22,164 of 24,807
Quote:
The Shuguangs have the same voltage handling specs as the GTA/GTB, so there's no real problem there. I noticed the same problem with another set of GTBs anyway.

I'll give the regular 6CG7s another go to see if that makes a difference. I still don't understand why an adapted tube would "sing" like that, what could possibly cause that?

Heh, I do remember seeing an SRA-14S on YJ a few weeks back. Is it any better than the SRM-1mk2? I remember Snake gushing about it once upon a time.

I've never seen them being referred to being GTB's, just GT's. 

The adapter could have some parts inside (many of them do) or the wires could cause oscillations.  It's a long shot though...

Has this amp ever been refurbished? 

Quote:
Nice.  Is that new to you?  Do you have the phono cartridge for it?  Very cool.

I just got it and it's serial number 0002. 
redface.gif
  It came with the EMM-1 module so moving magnet but I haven't tested it yet. 

It shares some similarities to the SRM-1 Mk2 but it's also very different.  This one needs to be refurbished though before I draw any conclusions about it. 

Quote:
Hello Spritzer,

is it possible to use the SRA 14S with the ED-1 equalizer. Or am I only too stupid to get the right combination. I would like to ask for some help, because my main sources are phono and tuner and I want to use my ED-1 with these sources.

Regards Georg

PS: Have you the card for the CP-Y pickup? I'm really looking for that one:)) (I can swap any other card!)

You should be able to use the ED-1 in the tape loop and listen to it there.  Rec should go to input and play would be the output.  Then you go from "source" to either one of the tape loops on the lower line of switches and it should work.  Might have to play with the IS controls a bit though as I'm not sure if they are active with the headphone output. 

May 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #22,167 of 24,807
I'm looking at getting either the SR-007 mk1 or mk2. I had read that they were both really forgiving of badly recorded tracks but then came across a post where someone said that the mk2 was the most unforgiving headphone he has heard. Can anyone shed some further light please.

May 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #22,168 of 24,807
Quote:

I've never seen them being referred to being GTB's, just GT's. 

The adapter could have some parts inside (many of them do) or the wires could cause oscillations.  It's a long shot though...

Has this amp ever been refurbished? 

Probably because there's the perception among audiophiles that GTA/GTB variants sound worse than regular GTs. I doubt that it has been refurbished, wasn't during my ownership anyway.

I'm looking at getting either the SR-007 mk1 or mk2. I had read that they were both really forgiving of badly recorded tracks but then came across a post where someone said that the mk2 was the most unforgiving headphone he has heard. Can anyone shed some further light please.

The SR-007mk1 is easily the most laid back headphone in my collection of electrostats, the mk2 is really the same headphone but with a little port that breaks the seal between the pads and the ears.

May 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #22,169 of 24,807

I have an early 007A port modded powered by a KGSSHV, and they're great for badly recorded stuff. I should know, I only listen to badly recorded music.
tongue.gif

May 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #22,170 of 24,807
I have an early 007A port modded powered by a KGSSHV, and they're great for badly recorded stuff. I should know, I only listen to badly recorded music. :p

Thank you (tachikoma too). Have a pair of mk2s offered to me. If they are driven by a decent amp like the KGSS, BHSE OR WES, are they still decent without the modding? Worried about damaging the mk2 by trying to mod them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back