The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #21,136 of 24,807
Quote:
+1.

What's even funny is that your T1 + 404 is night and day difference better than your other can's.

Thanks for pointing this out, DefQon ... you are right.

I am really new to this, and still at the bottom end of the learning curve.  Most of my gear was assembled recently, and with store credit and gift certificates, so I've not wasted too much in getting to this point.  But the STAX sound was haunting me, and I'm glad I found my way to this thread.  It's a game-changer.

I'm planning to stay put, although I would still like to add a dedicated DAC for the 404LE +T1.  Any suggestions?

I'll put my phones into rotation and see which ones I can shed.  I'd also like to add some more STAX phones into the mix for variety as I work my way up.  I can listen to the ones out now in Tokyo, and will check in for advice if any come up used.  The quality of used goods seems pretty high in Tokyo, and both purchases from Audio Union came up strong.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #21,137 of 24,807
Am hearing what people have referred to as the forward sound of the 404LE, as well as the bright treble, but to my ears these are hardly flaws but essential to the make up of the sound.  After starting with some female vocals, am working my way through Miles Davis and John Coltrane, on my way to a longer audition with various classical pieces.  But the sound is exquisite.  Can't quite compare it to anything so far in my albeit limited experience.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #21,139 of 24,807
Quote:
(Question to STAX owners: how do you find time to do anything else?)

Congrats on the rig. My everything else is sitting here working and listening with my audio rack behind me.

For DAC recommendations, how much can you afford? If you don't want to go TOO crazy: Metrum Octave + Audio-gd Digital Interface (as the built-in optical input in the Octave is rubbish) + a 75 Ohm S/PDIF cable. That's getting to around the same cost as your Stax rig itself but will be a good match IMO.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #21,140 of 24,807
Quote:
(Question to STAX owners: how do you find time to do anything else?)

The threat of tinnitus always kept me at bay
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #21,141 of 24,807
Quote:

Congrats on the rig. My everything else is sitting here working and listening with my audio rack behind me.

For DAC recommendations, how much can you afford? If you don't want to go TOO crazy: Metrum Octave + Audio-gd Digital Interface (as the built-in optical input in the Octave is rubbish) + a 75 Ohm S/PDIF cable. That's getting to around the same cost as your Stax rig itself but will be a good match IMO.

Thank you Currawong.  At this point, I am starting feel that I've found a comfort zone, and if so, am ready to start shedding unused gear to move upward and forward.  I'm not familiar with any of the stuff you mention, but am already looking up the items you mention, so thank you.  The difference in quality I've experienced today is unparalleled, so it all seems sensible.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #21,145 of 24,807
I'm so in love with my SR-303. My upgrade-itis has been totally killed. I honestly couldn't imagine ever upgrading unless it was for a Sigma Pro (something I've always wanted to hear) or an SR-009/Orpheus.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #21,147 of 24,807
Dear Advisors,

I am sorry to come back seeking more advice so soon after benefitting from the collective wisdom of this thread, and I hope I am not wearing out my welcome.

But, since listening to the 404LE/T1, I can't imagine going back to much of my gear, and hate the thought of it languishing unused.  It's all pretty new and in good shape.  I think I will hold onto the HD700/HP-A7 a bit longer, since I like it for classical music, but the others will start collecting dust.

Just out of curiosity, I contacted a retailer in Tokyo, which has decent prices on STAX equipment, and listed some of my available gear.  For my HE-400, HD600, and B&W p3, along with my FiiO E17 and Bose IE2, they will offer me about US$550 store credit.  I'd be losing a fair amount on the original purchase prices, but for an additional US$130, I could exchange my gear for a new SR-507.

I know that opinions are split on the SQ of the 507, but I am eager to compare, and I did inquire initially about the 007, but can't afford it.  So my two questions are:

1) Is it worth trading in this gear at a loss to acquire a 507, which would get much more use than the above items; and
2) Does it make sense to add the 507 to the 404LE?

If I do swing this trade, I'd unload a lot of gear at once that won't be used much, and I could focus on a good DAC for the STAX system.  I'd then sit put for awhile, enjoy my music, and leave you guys alone to do the same.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #21,148 of 24,807
I really think you'd be better off finding someone that would take that stuff on trade for a DAC. You're really missing out on what those 404s are capable of. As for the 507...just...no. 

Again, the 404LE is my favorite Stax can other than the 009. You've got a winner there already.

Quote:
Dear Advisors,

I am sorry to come back seeking more advice so soon after benefitting from the collective wisdom of this thread, and I hope I am not wearing out my welcome.

But, since listening to the 404LE/T1, I can't imagine going back to much of my gear, and hate the thought of it languishing unused.  It's all pretty new and in good shape.  I think I will hold onto the HD700/HP-A7 a bit longer, since I like it for classical music, but the others will start collecting dust.

Just out of curiosity, I contacted a retailer in Tokyo, which has decent prices on STAX equipment, and listed some of my available gear.  For my HE-400, HD600, and B&W p3, along with my FiiO E17 and Bose IE2, they will offer me about US$550 store credit.  I'd be losing a fair amount on the original purchase prices, but for an additional US$130, I could exchange my gear for a new SR-507.

I know that opinions are split on the SQ of the 507, but I am eager to compare, and I did inquire initially about the 007, but can't afford it.  So my two questions are:

1) Is it worth trading in this gear at a loss to acquire a 507, which would get much more use than the above items; and
2) Does it make sense to add the 507 to the 404LE?

If I do swing this trade, I'd unload a lot of gear at once that won't be used much, and I could focus on a good DAC for the STAX system.  I'd then sit put for awhile, enjoy my music, and leave you guys alone to do the same.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back