The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #21,152 of 24,807
Dear Advisors,

1) Is it worth trading in this gear at a loss to acquire a 507, which would get much more use than the above items; and
2) Does it make sense to add the 507 to the 404LE?

If I do swing this trade, I'd unload a lot of gear at once that won't be used much, and I could focus on a good DAC for the STAX system.  I'd then sit put for awhile, enjoy my music, and leave you guys alone to do the same.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

A quck bit of math tells me they're offering you 44% of the original purchase price on your stuff. I'd happily buy your He400's right now for $177 just to try them out...:wink: You can do better but it depends on what your time is worth to you and you may have a little trouble unloading the B&W and Bose sets here so keep that mind. I have the 507s and they're great. My 650s have been collecting dust for a couple weeks now. Have fun.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #21,154 of 24,807
Still mulling my options, and going back and forth.  On the one hand shedding gear that's unlikely to get much use is appealing, but on the other am not convinced that adding a 507 is the best use of that credit.  Will try to get to a shop to listen again.  As spaceace points out, I'm getting about US$550 for approximately US$1,200 worth of gear.  But I just figured out that I've spent about US$800 for it, so the deal isn't so bad, and being able to exchange a bunch of stuff for a new headset in one transaction is also appealing.

Another option is to trade for a DAC.  Any thoughts on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus as a DAC for 404LE/T1?  I see the store has one for about the same price as a 507.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #21,155 of 24,807
must be quite a temptation living close to retail stores that have Stax gear in stock. You only had the 404s for a day maybe? Every time I get the itch for more Stax, a Lambda framed model, the differences would probably be infinitesimal. Not to say that they were the same, just more alike than different. 7s or 9s might be a better direction. That's me though, I admire your enthusiasm.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #21,157 of 24,807
I am interested in the new portable stax. The Stax srm-002. Does anyone know a release date for those? I have seen pics on this thread of the 001 with custom molds. How would I go about getting custom molds for them? I have never gotten custom molds before so I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #21,158 of 24,807
Quote:
I am interested in the new portable stax. The Stax srm-002. Does anyone know a release date for those? I have seen pics on this thread of the 001 with custom molds. How would I go about getting custom molds for them? I have never gotten custom molds before so I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that they are already available. HeadAmp sells them.

http://www.headamp.com/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631894/stax-sr-002-srm-002-and-srm-003-mk2-srm-003-impression-and-appreciation-thread

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #21,159 of 24,807
hmm never posted in this thread.. 
just want to say.. it's so hard to save up enough money for a good pair of stax when all the projects are constantly draining my fund...

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #21,160 of 24,807
@ALSO: If I were you personally I'd sell all the gear that you currently own except the newly acquired 404 and T1 amp. Sell everything else off and get a used or ex demo (or cheap in other words) 007's which do classical earth and moon difference better than the HD700's.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #21,161 of 24,807
Quote:
@ALSO: If I were you personally I'd sell all the gear that you currently own except the newly acquired 404 and T1 amp. Sell everything else off and get a used or ex demo (or cheap in other words) 007's which do classical earth and moon difference better than the HD700's.

Interesting thought DefQon, thanks for the suggestion. The idea had crossed my mind.  If I threw in the HD700 and A7 amp, I could probably get a clean swap for a new set of 007s, since in Tokyo they are retailing for about US$1,700.  But I'm not sure I can dump everything just yet.  I think I'll sit tight, and enjoy what I've got now, and as many others have suggested, I'll shed slowly.  I can be patient and save for the next set.  I'll see what gets any use over the time I'm still in Tokyo, have still got about 5 months here, and come back regularly.  I'll focus on a decent DAC.  Please let me know if you have suggestions, and thanks again.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #21,162 of 24,807
So is it still consensus that the current 007 MK II is bested by the previous 007 MK II, which in turn is bested by the 007 MK I? Or is opinion evolving?

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #21,163 of 24,807
That was the general conclusion I came to from reading, but I've only heard the mk1...which I wasn't impressed by. If the others are worse I can scratch them off the list...

Shame...it's a gorgeous headphone.

Quote:
So is it still consensus that the current 007 MK II is bested by the previous 007 MK II, which in turn is bested by the 007 MK I? Or is opinion evolving?

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #21,164 of 24,807
I personnaly much prefer my (early) mk1 than previous mk2(SZ3, which would make it the 2.5) for its smooth signature and clean lows, esp. as a complement to my 009. From my amp (727A), it does sound anemic and compressed though (the mk2 sounded quite a bit more lively), but I suspect the bhse will clear that up.

@ALSO: wait for the next local meet (we will plan something for sure), you'll get to hear all sorts of stax gear and compare against your current setup. Running too fast uphill is going to spoil the fun :). As for the 507, I don't see the point since you already own the lambda. Used 007mk2 go for about 120,000JPY, just be a little patient...

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #21,165 of 24,807
Quote:

@ALSO: wait for the next local meet (we will plan something for sure), you'll get to hear all sorts of stax gear and compare against your current setup. Running too fast uphill is going to spoil the fun :). As for the 507, I don't see the point since you already own the lambda. Used 007mk2 go for about 120,000JPY, just be a little patient...

Thank you arnaud, much calmer now and comfortable with present state.  You first alerted me to the used T1 on sale here, so thank you especially.  It allowed me to purchase the T1 and 404LE rapidly and for good prices, so I am grateful.

I did have one technical question, and apologize again if this is too remedial and covered earlier, but is it possible to use just the DAC of a DAC/amp with the T1?  Would this double-amping interfere with or damage the T1?  I have a Fostex DAC/amp, and could run the source through it before the T1, but am not sure if this is feasible.

Thanks again, and looking forward to the TKO meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back