The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #20,326 of 24,807
I work for the integrated molecular structure facility.
Mainly NMR. Also mass spec, elemental analysis
And small crystal 3D X-ray. The electronics shop
Closed 9 years ago.

But really I'm the chief cook and bottle washer

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #20,329 of 24,807
Quote:
I work for the integrated molecular structure facility.
Mainly NMR. Also mass spec, elemental analysis
And small crystal 3D X-ray. The electronics shop
Closed 9 years ago.
But really I'm the chief cook and bottle washer

Interesting.  I worked for Beckman Instruments for quite a few years, then later for H.P. before it was Agilent. And then on to software stuff....

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #20,330 of 24,807
Quote:
Chief cook and amp designer extraordinaire!!

AND makes every post look like a piece of poetry for us to ponder on...
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #20,332 of 24,807
Kevin is being a bit modest.  We worked together back in the 80's -- electron microscopy, analytical x-ray,electron backscatter diffraction, x-ray fluorescence, energy dispersive spectroscopy, etc.  Kevin knows his Schiit -- and his Stax.  I believe that was the same era that Tyll was working at the same company as a field engineer and decided that headphones need good portable amps if you're going to be stuck on a plane for half your waking life, if my synapses are still firing correctly.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #20,337 of 24,807
The cheapest way is probably one of the smaller Stax amps, such as the SRM-212, SRM-252, SRM-310, SRM-Xh etc, or, if you already have a speaker amp, a pro bias transformer box, such as an SRD-7 or Woo Audio Wee.

The SR-202, being part of the Lambda series, is relatively easy to drive, so any pro bias Stax amp will do. The Stax tube amps, such as the SRM-T1, SRM-006t etc., pair especially well with the Lambda series. I loved my SR-202 with the SRM-T1, but these amps are a bit more expensive than the small transistor amps such as those mentioned above.

Quote:
Hey guys, I've been looking at used SR-202's recently. They seem to go for ~250$ used. What do I exactly need to power them? Is there a cheap way to get them moving?

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #20,338 of 24,807
Quote:
The cheapest way is probably one of the smaller Stax amps, such as the SRM-212, SRM-252, SRM-310, SRM-Xh etc, or, if you already have a speaker amp, a pro bias transformer box, such as an SRD-7 or Woo Audio Wee.

The SR-202, being part of the Lambda series, is relatively easy to drive, so any pro bias Stax amp will do. The Stax tube amps, such as the SRM-T1, SRM-006t etc., pair especially well with the Lambda series. I loved my SR-202 with the SRM-T1, but these amps are a bit more expensive than the small transistor amps such as those mentioned above.

Thanks for the answer, I think i'm getting them now. What would you pay for a used pair of SR-202's btw? Is 250usd too much for them?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #20,340 of 24,807
Quote:
Kevin is being a bit modest.  We worked together back in the 80's -- electron microscopy, analytical x-ray,electron backscatter diffraction, x-ray fluorescence, energy dispersive spectroscopy, etc.  Kevin knows his Schiit -- and his Stax.  I believe that was the same era that Tyll was working at the same company as a field engineer and decided that headphones need good portable amps if you're going to be stuck on a plane for half your waking life, if my synapses are still firing correctly.

Wha!! Do I know you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back